• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Crew on 60 Minutes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is a lie. Her story has keep changing everytime I hear it. 1st someone muscled by her and opened the door,a nd she could then only close it back so far. Today with Bloomberg, she said someone cracked the door open, ect.......... Like I said. don't let it surprise you when that pax cant be found who opened the aft door. And this chick's attitude does sux. Drame Queen. 'I can't find it in me to put my uniform back on, blah blah blah'. Well, everyone else seemed to be able to do so. Look at 60 minutes and when she is telling how emotionally hurt she is, they pan to the other crew members and the looks on their face when she is talking speaks for itself.

Where is the evidence she opened the door? It's all just speculation based on emotion and/or dislike of the FA's attitude. Just need a little more proof before jumping to conclusions, that's all. I think it's quite plausible that a female pax may have cracked open the door. Hopefully we'll find out someday.

I know there were hijackers onboard, but you are getting this flight and the Fedex hijacking over Memphis flight mixed up. I could be wrong. Just point me in the direct of a CREDIBLE accounting of this story stating there was a struggle going on at the time of landing. I do not think that was the case, but I could be wrong. Just show me the way.....

Not getting it mixed up w/ the Memphis hammer event at all.

I found your evidence for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_Airlines_Flight_961

"Abate tried to make an emergency landing on the airport at Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport, Grande Comore, but a fight with the hijackers at the last minute caused him to lose his visual point of reference, leaving him unable to locate the airport. While still fighting with the hijackers, he tried to ditch the aircraft in shallow waters 500 metres off Le Galawa Beach Hotel near Mitsamiouli at the northern end of Grand Comoro island. Abate tried to land parallel with the waves instead of against the waves in an effort to smooth the landing. ET-AIZ's left engine and wingtip struck the water first. The engine acted as a scoop and a coral reef hit the engine, slowing that side of the aircraft quickly, causing the Boeing 767 to violently spin left and break apart."

Here's a wider angle of the who thing. Please point out the hotel, as I seem to kee missing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKdVo_IcGs

I was not looking to get into some debate about all of this. I was just suggesting US trained crew are better trained to handle this type of situation than other crews from countries with a little less resources and standards. That's all.

Of course you can't see the hotel in that picture. What's wrong with you anyways, why are you so bent on trying to prove the Ethiopian pilots suck compared to the "sole hero" and apparently only pilot of US Air 1549?

Here read and educate yourself:

(wikipedia entry on the Captain: Leul Abate)

"Still fighting with the hijackers, Abate tried to ditch the aircraft in shallow waters 500 metres off Le Galawa Beach Hotel near Mitsamiouli at the northern end of Grand Comoro island, however, at the last moment, one of the hijackers grabbed the controls. The left engine and wingtip struck the water first, causing the aircraft to break up. Island residents and tourists, including a group of scuba divers and some French doctors on vacation, came to the aid of crash survivors."

Sully had it way easier. It doesn't take an "American trained pilot" to flare and land wings level in a wide open river. It takes common sense and good airmanship. Believe it or not, they have that in Ethiopia, too. There's a good chance that these pilots went through some American training, anyways. Sully and his FO weren't beaten up, either.

Here's another quote from the entry:

"Abate considers Mekuria, the co-pilot, the real hero. Mekuria fought the hijackers while he himself was bruised and bleeding, giving time for Abate to land the airplane. "He was a life-saver," Abate said.
"

Don't remember Sully or "his crew" having to fight off anybody. And even if Sully's FO fought off someone, Sully probably would have used "I" to describe the incident on 60 minutes. So considering all they had to deal with, I think the Ethiopian crew did a pretty decent job of having any survivors. Crazed hijackers in the cockpit trying to crash the plane, FO trying to fend them off, bruised and and bleeding captain fighting with hijackers for controls and manages to save many pax. Did I mention they were honored with aviation awards for their airmanship? Yet you think American pilots are "better" based on this incident without offering anything other than "uhh i don't see the hotel in this picture of the water". I didn't say it was a f**king floating hotel.

Next time do this research yourself instead of being a jerk.

Last edited:
The LH engine clearly comes off because of the force placed upon it once it entered the water.

...by a coral reef.

So said National Geographic. But if your visual aqcuity via a youtube video is better than their story, I digress.

Edit: And wikipedia:

"ET-AIZ's left engine and wingtip struck the water first. The engine acted as a scoop and a coral reef hit the engine, slowing that side of the aircraft quickly, causing the Boeing 767 to violently spin left and break apart. "

If you think flight time and ratings absolves you of doing the most basic of research, I'd hate to be in the cockpit with you.

Last edited:
I heard from a buddy of mine @ US Airways in CLT, who went up to NYC immediately following the accident and was part of the "care team" who talked with the pax/families......and he said that old Blonde FA in the back was NUTS...

During the interview she lost it several times and they had to edit out some stuff....and also when Doug Parker went to visit the crew in the hospital, she WENT OFF on him in this nasty tirade for a couple of minutes....major physco:smash:

Definitely flown her last trip

Slimeball Doug Parker

Two thoughts:

1) I think that aft F/A would be a real biotch to work with even on the best of days.

2) This is going to be a real run on sentence but it makes me sick to see Doug Parker (who can't manage his airline out of a paper bag let alone make a meaningful contribution that is even 1/100 of what this crew did) stand there and read a 2 minute statement that was pre-prepared for him by one of his lackey yes-men before he shrank back into his rat hole to count his millions. Somebody should have tossed a shoe at him. When's the last time you saved anyone's life, Doug? When's the last time you did pretty much anything but try to f over the employees who bust their cojones for you every day?

F off, you POS....and try not to get another DUI while you're at it.

I find it disappointing that "Sully" says "I" as much as he does...it was "we" wasn't it?
And as far as Capt. Abate goes, I've had the privilige to fly with many of his colleagues, and believe me, they are all fine airman and people, and operate daily in conditions most statesside pilots would find apalling...

Last edited:
Did you see Sullenburger interviewed on the Early Show yesterday? He actually made the comment that he thought people were talking about Sully too much and the crew not enough as it was entirely a team effort. I suspect he said the same in the 60 minutes interview and it ended up on the editing room floor.

I loved Katie Couric's question to Sully "Did you pray?"

I have nothing against praying, but I think Capt Sullys answer was great. "I believe there were 155 people in the back doing enough praying for all of us"

Latest resources

Back