• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir Crew on 60 Minutes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He did commend his crew and all that good stuff, but i'mbatman is correct. Sully personally took credit for taking command of the airplane, doing all the flying after the F/O ran into the birds, talking on the radio, turning on the ignitors, firing off the APU, making the brace call, etc.

I understand the FP talks on the radio and flies the airplane while the NFP runs the checklist, but short of the memory items, the NFP typically does most of the work (APU, ETC) while the FP concentrates on flying and talking on the radio. At an altitude where the radar altimiter is still active, should the guy flying be fooling with the APU when there is a capable person sitting right next to him. It's issues like that that got CRM implemented. The CAPT overloading the F/O when something comes up or vice versa, some stick hog doing everything and the plane crashes only to find out the other guy was not allowed to touch anything. That's not the case here of course, but it allows for some great teaching later on down the road.

In our checklist for a double-engine failure, there is no starting of the APU. I'm sure Skiles was busy doing ECAMs, so Sully started the APU to assist powering hydraulics/electrics. Perfectly rational and a good command decision, since the checklist is geared towards getting a relight and continuing on - but obviously not what was going to happen here.

yeah the aft FA... couldnt throw on a uniform? too tattered? c'mon. she spoke kinda negatviely too. aw well. i think shes looking for a pay day... i really hate to say that. she just seemed real bitter... anyone flown with her before?

poor sully. ..must be getting very tired of all this atention. nice segment though. very heartfelt

She should have been asked to leave what a beeeacoch Sully and Crew did an outstanding job but maybe next time can we get someone to interview that knows more about aviation and not Kattie some of the most moronic questions i ever heard The one i didnt hear her ask was "so when you landed in the water and you got wet did you think you just peeeed your pants"? or what does the hudson feel like in the middle of winter Man plezzzzz

The thing that surprised me was that the F/A's
didn't know they were going to ditch in the Hudson.
The one F/A said she thought they landed on a piece
of land next to the water. God know's they were busy, but a call to the F/A's should have been
attempted.

Personally, I was a little disappointed with the 60 minutes episode on Sully. I'd rather have seen someone else handle the interview. Couric makes me sick. Ughhh. That voice of hers makes me want to cringe.

The thing that surprised me was that the F/A's
didn't know they were going to ditch in the Hudson.
The one F/A said she thought they landed on a piece
of land next to the water. God know's they were busy, but a call to the F/A's should have been
attempted.
Agreed

The one i didnt hear her ask was "so when you landed in the water and you got wet did you think you just peeeed your pants"? or what does the hudson feel like in the middle of winter Man plezzzzz

"Could you see the people on the wing?"

She makes John Madden look smart.

In our checklist for a double-engine failure, there is no starting of the APU. I'm sure Skiles was busy doing ECAMs, so Sully started the APU to assist powering hydraulics/electrics. Perfectly rational and a good command decision, since the checklist is geared towards getting a relight and continuing on - but obviously not what was going to happen here.

Sounds like a perfectly sound reason to run the APU below 10K to me. Fuel savings programs be dammed. I've always liked the idea of a completely spare gen, PACK, etc. I don't know if an A-320 has a RAT or ADG or whatever your favorite name for it is, but I know the APU will do it all.

P.S.- I'm sick to death of watching the media folks jerk sully off. The entire crew did a great job, but any other direction this would have taken and they would be hanging this "over-payed bus driver" in the town square. All of a sudden he's the only pilot on Earth that was worth his pay that day. Nothing bad to say about him, just all of his new fair-weather friends. Barf.

P.P.S.- I smell a book deal.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back