USAF Officer Takes FO's Place During Medical Emergency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
minitour said:
by coach do you mean instructor? did they get to log it?

-mini
I don't know about that one, I remember it being a couple of landings with someone sitting right seat talking them through it. Like I said it has been years since I read it.

First of all..

Security?!?!?! Letting some guy in there? I dunno about this one.......
It does seem like a reputable source, though. Pre 9-11 I would totally believe it, in fact it did happen at my company on an L-1011 in the early 90s. But today........

Second.

The 737-800 could be handled by one guy. Just ask any of the FOs with whom I have flown.;) ;)

Yes, this reaks of security problems. As someone said before, a 737 should be able to return to land safely with one guy at the controls, especially a guy typed in make and model. Dude should have stayed in his coach seat.

I find this nice since us 121 employed/trained pilots are not allowed in jumpseats of other airlines or our own airlines on an international flight, but yet this seems to be just fine. TSA should have fun with this one.

sf3boy said:
Yes, this reaks of security problems. As someone said before, a 737 should be able to return to land safely with one guy at the controls, especially a guy typed in make and model. Dude should have stayed in his coach seat.

I find this nice since us 121 employed/trained pilots are not allowed in jumpseats of other airlines or our own airlines on an international flight, but yet this seems to be just fine. TSA should have fun with this one.
Good call guys...I guess its especially true with GPSs and approach couplers...I can't imagine it would be that difficult once you've gotten the type...

I wonder what they'll do...

Sounds like he made the right decision though (since the flight landed safely) so hopefully the s*it won't hit the CA's fan...

-mini

Hit what fan? Who is going to argue that incapacitation of a required crewmember is a valid emergency? Under emergency authority, the captain had dispensation to deviate from applicable regulation to the extent necessary to meet that emergency.

If the captain elects to place another pilot in the adjacent vacated seat and delegate responsibilities to that individual, the captain is within his legal discretion.

From the description, I hardly think that the pilot tapped for the exercise was experiencing "wet dreams" over the opportunity. He was on hand, and he assisted, upon request.

UAL 232; Captain Al Haynes elected to utilize help from outside the cockpit when presented the opportunity, and that decision helped contribute in a big way to the ultimate success that the emergency enjoyed...especially considering the extreme nature of the circumstances.

While aircraft control wasn't necessarily an issue here, the airplane is still a two-pilot airplane, and carries type certification to that effect. All training is conducted to that end. Delegating in an emergency or under exigent circumstance is prudent, and right, any security regulation not withstanding.

I've met more than a few headstrong captains who think their cockpit environment is a single pilot environment with an enslaved gear puller at their disposal. That's a bad attitude, folks.

The Air Force pilot did not LAND the airplane; he sat in the right seat, assisted the Captain, and ran the checklist. I'll bet he got to put the gear handle down!

Given enough bananas.... well, I'm sure you know the rest of that one.

:)

minitour said:
Good call guys...I guess its especially true with GPSs and approach couplers...I can't imagine it would be that difficult once you've gotten the type...

I wonder what they'll do...

Sounds like he made the right decision though (since the flight landed safely) so hopefully the s*it won't hit the CA's fan...

-mini
Captain won't have any problems. Emergency situation he can do anything he wants that he feels is necessary for the safety of the flight. HOWEVER, I would hope that he checked the Officers Military ID and Civilian Pilot Certificates (If he holds FAA certificates.) or other ID to verify that he was indeed an Air Force pilot.

But as others stated, the 737 can be flown by one person. We used to do some "SP emergency" ops if we had sim time left after the required items were completed. It is kind of a long reach to get to some of the switches on the far side of the cockpit but can be done without much problem. Heavy weather would make it a good bit tougher though, but still doable in a pinch.

Personally, If I was sure that the Officer was who he said he was, I would have done the same thing. Any pilot trained in Large aircraft and turbine systems is much better than an empty seat when things start going downhill, even if he only reads checklists and swings the gear for you.

avbug said:
Hit what fan? Who is going to argue that incapacitation of a required crewmember is a valid emergency? Under emergency authority, the captain had dispensation to deviate from applicable regulation to the extent necessary to meet that emergency.

If the captain elects to place another pilot in the adjacent vacated seat and delegate responsibilities to that individual, the captain is within his legal discretion...
and I agree with you...I just hope some bureaucratic bookworm (Tom Ridge anyone?) in Washington doesn't get a bug up his ass that this is a major "homeland security" issue...

-mini

Last edited:
minitour said:
and I agree with you...I just hope some bureaucratic bookworm (Tom Ridge anyone?) in Washington doesn't get a bug up his ass that this is a major "homeland security" issue...

-mini
TSA can pi$$ off... it's bad enough that captain's authority has eroded to the point it has already.

Captain did the right thing. Bureaucratic pukes can suck wind all they want. Is crashing and killing 156 people a better alternative to letting an Air Force pilot in the flight deck to assist you due to a crewmember incapacitation? I think not.

I'm really curious to see if the captain takes any heat for it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back