• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAF Academy or ROTC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Finding yourself in a fighter is more about you than Riddle or Academy.
It is more about the needs for the service, you get your wings #1 in your class, no fighter slots that month, hello drones

It is more about the needs for the service, you get your wings #1 in your class, no fighter slots that month, hello drones

Ok, yes. I am looking at it from an instructor view point. Allot of guys want to fly airplanes, some take to it like a fish to water. Some need to work very hard. Some will never make it.

Navy and Marine Corps, drone free.

Finding yourself in a fighter is more about you than Riddle or Academy. If you have the skill and the dedication, you will achive your goal regardless of the school.

S....

It's factually incorrect to assert that a ROTC or OTS graduate has an equal chance of getting a UPT slot than an AFA graduate. While not every newly commissioned officer who wants a pilot training slot gets one, the odds greatly favor the AFA graduates.

Once you get to UPT then getting a fighter assignment requires skill, dedication, and a fair amount of luck.

Ok, yes. I am looking at it from an instructor view point. Allot of guys want to fly airplanes, some take to it like a fish to water. Some need to work very hard. Some will never make it.

Navy and Marine Corps, drone free.

True for now, but don't look behind you.... see the word "Navy" plastered on the side of this beauty?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zC8diFd5O8

And as these things progress they won't need any kind of pilot; they'll need programmers.

Comet 2

I have skipped most of the replys and glanced at a few - no doubt all have merits. But I think the question you have asked is most interesting.

As you can see I never flew in the military - but wish i had. It just never happened for me - not through lack of trying I might add. BUT I tip my cap to those who have but I don't bow to any man who has - as I have had a fantastic aviation career.

I served my country in uniform in a minor reserve unit - proud, obscure with no deployment (never called, would have always answered) - but nonetheless - I wore the cap.

So listen here while I give you my humble view, not expert nor dim - just a view...

If you have an opportunity to attend one of the nations academies - and prove yourself a man, a leader, a carrier of the shield - never turn it down. It's a supreme privilege, one that will carry you through every obstacle and challenge that life will throw at you - and you will be equipped better than most to handle it.

Don't worry too much about the size and speed of the aircraft - just lead, fly and serve.

And if you do...you will have the greatest gift in life..

The nations profound gratitude.

Respectfully,

fv

Last edited:
Comet 2

Don't worry too much about the size and speed of the aircraft - just lead, fly and serve.

And if you do...you will have the greatest gift in life..

The nations profound gratitude.

Respectfully,

fv

You hit it on the nail, it is about serving and not what you fly. And as you approach retirement and look back, there is a sense of satisfaction that no other experience is life comes close to matching. I am truly blessed for having had the opportunity to serve.

Fareview…as an AF grad, fighter jock (retired) and big jet flyer (Capt and FO) some of the best advice I've seen!!

Grizz

GO AF beat Navy!

What they lack in drones, they more than make up for with Helo's.
That's right SWA doesn't think helo time is real flight time. I know the fixed wing brotherhood looks down on the helo drivers as lessor pilots, I mean they have never been to FL410, or done a M.78 descent. Hovering into a dark LZ on goggles is much more demanding of a pilot?s skills than shooting a Cat II approach. Someone has to figure out why uninformed management knuckleheads don't view a multi-crew Captain time in an advanced IFR helo like the H-60, H-46, H-53 or H-47 as not real flight time. However, PIC in a VFR only C-150 in the traffic pattern is the breakfast of champions for an airline career by those who set hard fixed wing limits like SWA and ignore helo time in total time. Why are most management and insurance company?s sooooo waaaayyyy out of touch with reality? Ops I am sorry I was management bashing again.

Latest resources

Back