USA Today "being a pilot just ins't what

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Council,

Already doing it. God bless them and keep them.

( and help them take out a few more terror-sponsoring countries while they are over there!)

P.S.
I miss the old avatar

FDJ,

I miss wearing the old avatar...

Take Care

Counselair:(

Fact: There are probably some people that did not apply to Delta. Not everybody wants to work there.

Fact: There are probably some people that did not apply to Air Tran. Not everybody wants to work there. (my buddy from US Airways, comes to mind).

Fact: Everybody wants to work for Southwest. I know you applied there! (kidding, only kidding.....)

Fact: There are probably some people that did not apply to Southwest. Not everybody wants to work here. (that guy in the USA Today article comes to mind.)

Where am I going with this? I have no clue, I'm trying to talk to my 3 year old at the same time while typing...(its not working).

Have a good night....

Airline pilot salaries

I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the whole conversation of what is to become of airline pilot salaries. The way I see it, market forces right now are forcing salaries significantly lower and I doubt that they will come back anytime in the next several years. The problem is (to me) that becoming an airline pilot is a lot like becoming a doctor. There is a lot of dues paying involved before you ever get into the cockpit with a major airline. You either come up civilian and deal with all of the headaches associated with that track or you come up military and deal with a different set of headaches. Both tracks are difficult and involve a lot of time and sacrifice before they pay off. So why do people do it? Yes, some people really LOVE flying just as some doctors really LOVE medicine. But, I'd be willing to guess that most pilots and most doctors do it because of the light at the end of the tunnel; the lucrative salary at the end of all of the training and sacrifice. Now, if pilot salaries remain low and the union's aren't able to obtain a fix, eventually the light at the end of the tunnel will be extinguished. The only folks who will be willing to endure the time and sacrifice required to become an airline pilot will be those who really love flying and I'm thinking there won't be a significant number of those people. I think the quality of people becoming pilots will be much lower than it is now. Granted, this situation does not exist right now because the notion is still out there that the downturn in pilot salaries is temporary. People are still willing to pay the dues in hopes of obtaining a high-paying job down the road. Eventually though, lower quality people flying planeloads of passengers around will inevitably mean lowered flight safety and more accidents. Once that trend is well-established, economic forces will come to bear where the flying public will demand higher quality (and more highly paid) pilots flying them here and there. Unfortunately, I doubt this whole process would help any of us trying to get jobs in the next several years. For this all to play out would probably take a generation...right when most of us are ready to retire. What do you all think?

I think that by the time that scenario plays out, with aircraft becoming increasingly automated, that any monkey could be trained to operate them. ;)

I believe in cycles. Unless unions get kicked out of the airline industry they will once again exert their power, for better or worse, when prosperity returns. Just make sure you're at the airline that survives. (What a roll of the dice!)

I AM worried about the number of airlines increasing. If airline managements can prevent consolidation and consistently run on the brink of bankruptcy (I don't know if that is wise or possible), then labor will be unable to gain traction and wages will continue to suffer.

Are we looking at periodic bankruptcies to keep labor in check? I hope not. But I wouldn't put it past management in their attempt to keep their salaries high and labor's salaries low.

I hope ALPA and the other pilot unions are going to school. If most pilots end up switching airlines several times, our starting salaries should be higher and the most senior guys shouldn't get salaries that are too high. This would remove the incentive for managing older airlines into the ground and starting new ones all the time. Getting hired at the 'right' airline shouldn't be like winning the lottery. Too many of us lose in this "lottery" like system.

I like SWA as much as the next guy, but what is to prevent SW management from selling their stock when, and if, the pilots ask for outrageous salaries. These same executives could then start a "new" airline with cheaper labor.

:rolleyes:

One can only hope...

that the overriding "culture" from the top down @ SWA should continue to hold the line in the coming years.

Call it what you want, but a management philosophy that fosters care for every employee, one that is based on "The Golden Rule" (no joke here either) is FAR removed from what is the "norm" in corporate America. Keeping this alive @ SWA should be a priority.

If the company is able to offer substantial stock options to employees, in lieu of major pay increases, I see no reason why anyone would "cash out" and leave to start something unproven. What would be the point in that??

Just my $.02, not very objective due to my current position waiting for a SWA class date - but hey, I CHOSE this airline for MANY reasons, some mentioned here - others not!

Good luck to all who have decided on a professional career as a pilot, unlike whomever wrote the "USA Today" piece, I believe there will continue to be a place and above average income for those who pursue and attain a pilot position with any major air carrier.

Tred

FDJ is hurting my eyes

Man, FDJ, you are the one reason I would never want to work for Delta. Man does your s*it stink?

When I was looking at airlines, I thought Delta would be a pretty cool place to go, but after meeting all of you who jumpseat on my airplanes and work with me in the reserves, I am relieved. In addition to hating management, I don't think I could stand the culture you guys have there. Do you think every airline is Plan B for every pilot after Delta? I have heard that there are some pretty old school captains there that treat their FO's in the old seen but not heard way, is that true? or do you have a good time while flying? Or do you guys just talk about contracts and how great Delta is while flying?

Be it your United + 1 mentality, or the way you look down your nose at everybody, it must be so hard being so good. I do commend you for being so supportive of your Delta family after they have 'temporarily' disowned you. Just smile and act like it is no big deal working there. Trust me, I wouldn't trade numbers with you, and I don't even work for a major. I don't root for lower pilot salaries, but it sure is hard to root for guys like you.

With Comair, Delta Express, Delta Connection, or JetBlue II, errrrr, Song something will happen good for you. At least for Delta. One of the 5 or so airlines within an airline will work out.

See you in ATL soon...

Kwijybo,

Uh oh...Don't look now....I think you can kiss that Delta rec letter goodbye!

LOL

Latest resources

Back