USA Jet Training Makes the Difference

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey can't argue with you there. Cheers

At least at Cherry Air (ADS) you don't have to live in the ARM PIT of America like USA Jet pilots do (YIP)

Watch it now

YIP (Willow Run) World's largest airport when built in 6 months in 1941, nothing has ben done to the airport since then, my dad was building B-24's at YIP when I was born, at the rate of one 4 eng bomber an hour. YIP is the place that Avis invented the airport rental car in 1946. I took my first airplane ride at YIP in a Eastern Airlines L-1049, R-3350 TC's, soloed at YIP, have worked for 4 different airlines at YIP, got my CFI there and two type rating. I LOVE THE PLACE, I am under the influence of the YIP curse. But I get to fly the B-17 and C-47 at the yankee Air Force. Lots of history at YIP, great place flown all over the world YIP is my home until I retire and go back to NC.

Last edited:
I'm glad your so fond of the place. However, your sentimental attachments to YIP are not shared by myself and many others in the freight world. Yes I know some of you were unfortunate enough to have been born in the area. After spending the amount of time there we have to, I have to say its the most undesireable (four years of college and still can't spell) place I've ever been...and if your lucky enough to go across town to Detroit City...lets just say I feel much safer any place in Mexico over that crater. Not only is it cold, but the people are rude, the girls are ugly, and the food suc*s. So Yip Pilot...you can have your Dump of an airport and the city (Bellville or whatever you call it) that supports it.

How do you know this you ask?
Well...I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
And yes....It was in YIP....the Pool and weight room are the only good things about YIP.

Okay,

Before you all get way out of control, I'm going to respectfully ask that you at least stay on topic and be respectful of other aviators. This is after all the least we can do for each other.

I'm always amazed at how quickly SOME major airline guys and fortune 500 corporate pilots who have finally made it to the show forget their humble begginings. They of all people should know the long, twisting, bumpy road to the promised land of 15+ days off a month, great equipment, and 6 figure salaries.

Freight can and often does suck. There is no doubt about it. No life, long hours, old equipment, and (in some cases) questionable ethical/safety standards of companies can make for a stressful lifestyle. The one thing that keeps all of these guys who are making the most of what they have is the dream of getting to where so many of you are judging us from. I happen to think that hand flying these old freighters (lears in my case) day in and day out, at all hours of the day, in the same weather you guys are using coupled autoland in, everywhere in this hemisphere, with liitle or no support makes us into pretty good pilots and shows a high level of dedication to our dreams and aviation.

To the best of my knowledge, barring an act of the holy trinity, the only way to get a job at a major or good corporation is to fly something that burns kerosene (alot!!) and don't get discouraged. That means when majors lay a bunch of guys off (approx. 9,000) and they have more time than you, and take the best paying jobs at this level; you have to be patient, understand that that's exactly what you would do in their situation, and hope that when they are sitting across the table from you someday at the interview that decides your future they understand we did what we had to do to.

So. I believe the topic was the training at USA Jet, which I will say I have heard nothing but good things about as well as the company.

Thanks

I'll put the soap box back in the hangar now.

The way I understand it this is a board where discussions turn into anything....No I'm not a major airline pilot...I too am a freight dog. I was just expressing my disdane for the Detroit area in general. Nothing against any other pilots...and yes it is on topic... because I don't want some poor Bas#@^* to move up there for (subject) USA jet training without knowing how bad the area is.

toad4, where do you live? im sending you a six pack for that schpiel...good goin man! :)

Fr8dognit,

No worries man, that wasn't really for you anyway, and the info on YIP...well...fair enough. Thought about moving there myself and you're right, any info on home base area is also helpful. Anyway, 'nough said.

Wingnutt,

Would love the six pack...but guess what....I'm on call!!! LMAO

Keep missing the ground guys and I'll see ya on the border.

Career Starter

I bet more airline careers have started on the ramps at YIP than any other airport in the US, I when you leave Willow Run you are going into 121 scheduled passenger ops or major 121 air cargo. It is ammazing when you jump seat how many guys have a YIP connection. It is a place to build your career, we have had pilots leave and go to at Delta, FedEx, NWA, SWA, JB, AA, CAL. YIP is not Detroit. It is scenic country living, not like the Metro Plex around ADS. Now if you want Detroit fly into DET and visit Fort Murray. Beside where could I have soled in C-172 back in 1965, with a United DC-8 in the pattern with me. But then some people just don't know a good thing when they see it. Besides you mis-spelled Belleville

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back