Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: I suppose I should chime in, eh?

UAL78:

For the past few years, you have provided many intelligent, cogent posts, the vast majority of which I have agreed with wholeheartedly. I guess the strain of what is going on at UAL must be wearing on you to some degree, because I must take exception at an uncharacteristic "dig" in your last post.

You said:

And as long as guys were willing to fly jets for a fraction of what your contract paid you, the outcome was inevitable. Couldn't pull them up, so you're going down.

If you are referring to the LCC carriers, as seems obvious, let me clue you in to something that your brethren at UAL and DAL and others have not yet grasped: We are not being paid "a fraction" of what your guys are being paid. While it is true we are being paid less per hour, we are scheduled more productively, so the end result is we are being paid pretty well. Our average line may pay 85 hours, and we are probably flying 70-75 hrs for that pay.

In my first year at AirTran, my pay was "only" $37.50 per hour, and my W-2 for the year showed $44,000., or $39,500. if you back the per diem out. Not exactly a "fraction" of a UAL Shuttle newhire. Second year pay is $52./hr ($60K+)and by the third year, I'll be a Capt., expecting around $110K for the year. Twelfth year pay should be around $175K a year. Hmmmnn, for an airplane the size of what you guys were flying at the Shuttle, that hardly seems like we are pulling the industry down. We do have a company-funded retirement, profit-sharing, stock options, etc. etc. etc.

What I am trying to say here is that we are not "harming" the pilots at UAL. What "harmed" you guys, in my opinion, was the chowder-headed decisions of your management (Avolar??!??) and throwing bad money after bad pursuing the USAirways deal, not to mention your Union striking a contract that was un-doable from the moment it was signed.

That would make as much sense as me saying that if UAL didn't dump seats on our routes at prices that cause them to lose money in an effort to protect "market share", maybe our company could charge more money and pay us more- hell, maybe UAL is keeping our wages down . . .

Neither I nor anyone at any LCC wish you guys ill will, hell, we have mostly all been through ups and downs and know what it's like, so please think twice before you place the blame at the feet of pilots who were "willing to fly jets for a fraction" 'cause it just ain't true.

Last edited:
Well said! Ty

Lifestyle,

Granted United has terrible management but I'm still blaming LCC's for the professions problem. LCC's come in many different forms. Spirit, Southwest

I can't believe you are blaming your competitors for your downfall.

I believe competition is the American way.

Touche!

Good response. I knew I was going to take some heat for that passage. Given time and as the LCC evolved I believe that forces would have dictated increased pay. Not that I have an inclination to get into a big debate with a thousand LCC pilots but let's face it folks, when the passengers are there (and at one time there were enough for everybody), the fares that could buy you a coast to coast ticket (or almost anywhere for that matter) were the same (or lower) than what I paid almost 30 years ago.

Next time you go shopping, look for anything that cost what it did 30 years ago (technology existing then, mind you).

I don't blame any of you guys for a thing. Your industry is really still in it's infancy and who knows where it will really go. If it's a crime to want a pilot of an RJ to make $100K, I'm guilty as charged. With the investment you're entrusted with, the trainig you underwent, the responsibility that you have, etc., your should be compensated accordingly. But if you're happy, who am I to complain? And I won't.

What ever caused the problems that spawned this string will be tended to. But as the guy pondered as he was flying to the ground in an unopened parachute- I bet this is gonna hurt.

UAL78

Re: Re: I suppose I should chime in, eh?

Ty Webb said:
What I am trying to say here is that we are not "harming" the pilots at UAL. What "harmed" you guys, in my opinion, was the chowder-headed decisions of your management (Avolar??!??) and throwing bad money after bad pursuing the USAirways deal, not to mention your Union striking a contract that was un-doable from the moment it was signed.
[/B]

What he said.

It would be different if UAL financially had been flying high right up until the moment that flights 93 and 175 were lost on 9/11/01. If that had been the case, I would've been more than happy to allow my tax money to support them to help them out of the post-9/11 hole.

However, that aint the case. UAL was totally mismanaged, and now they gotta pay the piper. It aint personal, its business.
UAL had financially been in the crapper ever since the Summer of Love (that summer cost them $500M in lost biz and passenger ill will), so, as a US taxpayer, I dont feel the slightest bit obligated to bail them out. All 9/11 did, besides be a horrible day for everyone, was accelerate the inevitable. Why as a taxpayer should I help pay for Avolar, or Project Yellowjacket (the USAir fiasco)???

If I am not mistaken, didnt the UAL ALPA MEC bring in Goodwin and Co when he was appointed to the board? I know he had been around UAL for a while, but wasnt it the MEC that moved to have him appointed to the board?

While I wish only the best to my former UAL colleagues (I'm now at a Low Cost Carrier), I just dont see how their inept, incompetent, and downright asinine management decisions becomes my problem, in the form of taxpayer money being thrown after bad decisions.

Last edited:
Dispatchguy

I believe that it was the IAM that first proposed Goodwin in lieu of Edwardson for the CEO position b/c the IAM didn't like him. They needed ALPA to go along because of the constraints of the supermajority ESOP voting powers. In the interest of employee unity ALPA went along with the IAM's lobbying. If it makes you feel any better, Creighton said that both were the wrong choice for CEO and the results would sucked either way!

Two quotes from UAL78 from the same post:

"And as long as guys were willing to fly jets for a fraction of what your contract paid you, the outcome was inevitable. Couldn't pull them up, so you're going down. "

"I'm going to do what I have to do in order to make sure that all the guys out on the street have a leaner, (and yes, meaner) UAL to come back to. And if that means flying my airplane for peanuts (pun intended), then that's what I'm going to do."

On one hand those of us that are willing to fly for less than UAL plus 1% are the reason for your demise. On the other hand you are willing to fly for 'peanuts' for your own self serving interests. Why is it that when its time to feed your family 'substandard' wages are acceptable but when regional guys need to do the same thing we are labled as industry whores?

Last edited:
to echo caveman

and another thing.... markets don't work that way...why is it major guys bemoan the fact there are different pay scales at different companies... if the goal of alpa is to have a level playing field and one wage scale like the NFL, well, look at what happens to high price free agents when teams are over the salary cap. these aren't apples and oranges....these areapples to apples...it's called business

UAL78

Your angst is understandable, however remember there are
tens of thousands of pilots that have been through what you
are about to go through. The leaders of the various United labor
groups must sit down together and come up with a viable strategy to deal with all bankrupcy contingencies. The fact that
you will fly your airplane for peanuts does not necessarily guarantee that United will survive. There have been plenty of pilots that have flown for "peanuts"and the carrier has still failed.
You have to convince the Flight attendants and Mechanics to
perform for "peanuts" as well. I think your mechanics are in no
mood to take anymore givebacks. We all know what happened
at Eastern Airlines and it's mechanic group. One advantage that
the workforce has at United is that they should have a pretty
good handle on "inside data" as you have had 2 board of director
seats. If you don't know every financial nook and cranny then
shame on you. The mere fact that your in bankrupcy makes me
wonder about the "board of directors competency .I'm sure that
once this process unfolds there will be a few "revelation's forthcoming. As far as anyone "stealing "" "your" traffic I find this
statement juvenile. You allude to Darwinian theory. The last time
I checked ,the airlines operate in a "free market economy within
a capitalistic system. The paying passenger will exercise their
rights as consumers and buy their tickets from the carrier that represent the best value.
To say that other pilots are "stealing" your client base is
at best misguided and at worst a smear at them. Did anyone accuse United of stealing when they took over large chunks of PAn Am or benefited from traffic ouflows at Eastern, Continental, TWA, Midway etc. I think you have somewhat of an Elitist mentality. I have seen this same mind-set at Delta, American etc
I think it comes from complacency and smugness that size is
everything. Maybe some of the "fat cats" needed this wakeup call.

Latest resources

Back