• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Us Pilots Joe Lepore And Jan Paladino Home Safe

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Haynes and Fitch are heroes; extremely lucky, yes...

First, what's a heroe? :confused:

Second, what did they do to be bestowed with hero status? Landed a damaged plane? Wouldn't tens of thousands of pilots in previous wars be "heros" then... or is this like 9/11... where anyone unfortunate enough to be in one of the towers when they were attacked is somehow also a "hero"?

BBB

Haynes and Fitch are heroes; extremely lucky, yes...

Getting into a mid-air , flying on 1 and three quarters wing and elevator, landing in the jungle and being sequestered to a hotel room in a third world country for nearly three months while a third world population rallied for their heads outside...and now facing 12 years in prison in that third world country...

That's what you call being lucky? In my world I would call that being cursed.

That's what you call being lucky? In my world I would call that being cursed.[/quote]

Surving a mid air crash when the other aircraft goes down killing 154 people isn't lucky but, curse?

Wheather you consider them hero's or not....let's just be glad that they are safely home, with their families.

BBD

Getting into a mid-air , flying on 1 and three quarters wing and elevator, landing in the jungle and being sequestered to a hotel room in a third world country for nearly three months while a third world population rallied for their heads outside...and now facing 12 years in prison in that third world country...

Landing in the "jungle"? Are you sure? Last I read they landed at a military airfield... a far cry from "landing in the jungle".

As far as being "sequestered to a hotel room"... well, I'd guess the thousands of pilots/airmen shot down, captured, tortured, and held prisoner for YEARS in previous wars might take exception to what you consider "terrifying treatment" being sequestered in their hotel room.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic to these fine gentlemen's very unfortunate situation, it's just that the term "hero" is thrown around so casually nowadays that it's lost its meaning.

I do wish them well and Brazil, their incompetent air traffic controllers and government can fornicate amongst themselves for eternity for all I care. :beer:

BBB

As far as being "sequestered to a hotel room"... well, I'd guess the thousands of pilots/airmen shot down, captured, tortured, and held prisoner for YEARS in previous wars might take exception to what you consider "terrifying treatment" being sequestered in their hotel room.

BBB

Last I checked these guys aren't United States Soldiers fighting a sanctioned United States conflict...they are merely United States pilots trying to do a job. This situation should scare the CRAP out of every American pilot who flys our aluminum outside of The United States.

Last I checked these guys aren't United States Soldiers fighting a sanctioned United States conflict...they are merely United States pilots trying to do a job. This situation should scare the CRAP out of every American pilot who flys our aluminum outside of The United States.

So (according to your world)... if you fly a plush bizjet, are involved in a midair collision and held in a hotel room you are a hero. But, if you voluntarily or involuntarily serve your country and are shot down, captured, tortured and held as a POW for years you are not deserving of the same accolades you reap upon these guys? Puuuleeeze! :laugh:

BBB

Latest resources

Back