• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Express carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
a-v-8erAs far as the whole industry, ticket prices need to increase across the board. The same passenger who paid $29 for a one way, probably doesn't mind driving his SUV for $200+ a month, but when it comes to flying an increase in ticket prices would be out of the question.

I don't agree with you there. I think people would be willing to pay a fair price but the airlines are locked in this death match of who can sell the lowest fairs and survive. If overnight the price of every ticket increased 50 dollars people would still fly because it's a necessity. When the price of gas went from $1/gallon to over $2/gallon over a several year period we did not see a decrease in driving. People are used to driving and flying and will do it no matter what the price as long as it is within reason.

The fact is that if a $29 ticket exists people will do everything they can to find it but if the airlines just refuse to offer them then people will pay more. Remember when Bethune said that this is an stupid industry run by stupid people. I don't think he could have said it any better. The airlines need to charge more for their product than it costs to provide, plain and simple. This whole struggle to gain a tiny increase in market share at the expense of diluting the value of your product seems absolutely crazy to me. My .02

Absolutely right! I couldn't agree with you more!

However, since people are used to this business giving away things for free or nearly free of charge, they take advantage of it and also start taking it for granted which is my biggest gripe. As long as there's one airline undercutting all the others for more market share, nothing good will happen for the industry as a whole or the people working for them. I totally agree with what MW44 said and I also think this would be the only way to change the mindset of people traveling. It shouldn't cost more to operate a business than the profit it's generating and normally the demand vs. cost determines the price of the product. Not so much here it seems...

You will see ticket prices go up again! Wait until all the LCC's start overlapping routes, that is when Jetblue, Southwest, Airtran start flying some of the same routes. They will then begin to compete with prices against each other, which will cause both to lose money. Right now you have them competing with Delta, Airways, United, and few others. However when they start competing with themselves(which will happen soon) the game is gonna change big time.

As for the contract carriers, I do believe you will see US Airways slowly getting ride of a bunch of contract flying, that is if they survive. Remember many of the RJ's from contract carriers were put in place until US Airways started getting there own jets. Mesa will soon be reduced, I believe they are already in PHL. Heard a Mesa Pilot saying that PSA was starting to take their flying (I thought that was a funny statement, since its never been THEIR flying) out of CLT. The more Jets PSA and MDA get, you will see a slow reduction in contract flying. If Group keeps us (PDT) to do all the prop flying, thats too be seen.

Only makes sense, you are a company that's losing money. While contract carriers are making money off you. I believe that if US Airways keeps some contract carriers they will try to reduce the 'per departure fee' even more, which they can do in chapt. 11, then you will see the Contract carriers trying to low ball each other to keep the contract. Then once that happens the contract CEO's will come to the Pilots and Fa's for more pay cuts to make up for the lose. Man you have to love this wonderful profession we have chosen.

But like someone said above, it might not matter anyhow. If we go Chpt. 11 then 7, it will all be over soon. However for the Contact carriers you can find a new host to feed off, while unlucky us the WO's go right down the tubs with Mainline.

Fubar

PSA in CLT

PSA is scheduled to send 48 CRJ700's to CLT starting Nov 1. (was Oct 1). Whose routes will they be flying?

MESA, CHQ?

Well don't jump on that too quick (48 700's by Nov.)

Word from Canada(Bombardier) is that USAir has filed Chapt. 11!
Can anyone confirm?

If this is the case, well the RJ's will stop coming.

Last edited:
WSurf said:
Mesa will soon be reduced, I believe they are already in PHL. Heard a Mesa Pilot saying that PSA was starting to take their flying (I thought that was a funny statement, since its never been THEIR flying) out of CLT. The more Jets PSA and MDA get, you will see a slow reduction in contract flying. If Group keeps us (PDT) to do all the prop flying, thats too be seen.
Mesa has lost some routes in both PHL and CLT and our DCA ERJ base is being closed. That said we are not losing any actual flying. It is just being shifted around. We actually have added one CRJ last month and have two more coming on line this month. (If U is around to take them) This could all change in CH 11. I guess we will all see very, very soon. Good luck to all. -Bean

islandboi said:
i work for one of the express carriers, non-wholly owned, and i heard a nasty rumor today that US is planning to get rid of the non-wholly owned carriers as part of their restructuring plan. now, i know that everyone loves the topic of US and to talk about them, but i'm more concerned with whether or not i'll have a job within a month or so, and if so, with whom. any thoughts....appreciated.
Nasty rumor? That is exactly one of the many things that needs to be done if Airways is survive this. I hope APA and AA can show some people a few things here really soon..

The flying needs to stop being outsourced to other carriers. The WO's should and most likely will be doing the majority if not all of the puddle jumping here very soon.

hang on..

3 5 0

Most of the Airways contract carrier's have thier hands in other airlines pocket's anyway.. Those who don't will be the first to suffer. Shifting flying from one contract to another is not that hard unless your trying to beat some scope clause somewhere. There are still plently of locations and carrier's who would like to expand on someone else's dime (contract carriers). It may become a new race to the bottom to keep the cost low enough for new work to appear.. that is the bigger worry

Raising ticket prices is not going to happen anytime soon in my opinion.. All the airlines are fighting over a few percentage points in market share. Look how many are venturing into the legacy carrier's turf for a few points, look at legacy carrier's going after LCC's for some points.. It is all about market share these day, not about revenue. Once the market share is established and some carrier's "bite the dust" you will see the fares slowly rise, not a minute sooner. The switching around U is playing is killing thier market share. If the contract carriers should lose routes, someone else's contract, WO's or even a independant carrier will quickly jump into fill the void.

Latest resources

Back