US Express carriers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flifo81

i work for one of the express carriers, non-wholly owned, and i heard a nasty rumor today that US is planning to get rid of the non-wholly owned carriers as part of their restructuring plan. now, i know that everyone loves the topic of US and to talk about them, but i'm more concerned with whether or not i'll have a job within a month or so, and if so, with whom. any thoughts....appreciated.

Any thoughts? Good luck.... and don't worry too much about it. Nothing you can do as a rank-and-file line pilot to influence the outcome other than going to work and doing the best job you can. BTW... don't come to Flightinfo looking for reassurance; it's a good way to get heartburn :) I give it 2 more posts before some jackass starts ranting about contract carriers and hoping you lose your job.

Finally...a step in the right direction. Now if we could just get all major and wholly-owned regional pilots on the same page, we might manage to salvage this mess we all call our careers.

Nothing personal, islandboi. I'm just a pilot at a wholly-owned regional getting beat to death in whipsaw hell. As such, I hold the opinion that the wholly-owned carriers should be doing all regional flying for the parent major airline. The existence of contract "fee per departure" carriers does nothing except encourage the type of fierce and competitive race to the bottom that is detrimental to overall compensation and lifestyle at all carriers (reference Flying the Line, Vols. 1 and 2).

In essence, I'm concerned with whether I'll have a job within a month or so, and if so, with whom:confused: . Best of luck to you; maybe our paths will cross in the gov't cheese line, should things not work out for both of us:D .

aewanabe said:
Any thoughts? Good luck.... and don't worry too much about it. Nothing you can do as a rank-and-file line pilot to influence the outcome other than going to work and doing the best job you can. BTW... don't come to Flightinfo looking for reassurance; it's a good way to get heartburn :) I give it 2 more posts before some jackass starts ranting about contract carriers and hoping you lose your job.

LOL!:D Looks like your response was timely, aewanabe (though for the record, I do not wish furlough on anybody...been there, done that--as you know;) ). I guess we're all just scared for our jobs during times like these. Ah, well...it's Miller time for the Kiddo. See ya.

Nothing personal, islandboi. I'm just a pilot at a wholly-owned regional getting beat to death in whipsaw hell. As such, I hold the opinion that the wholly-owned carriers should be doing all regional flying for the parent major airline

Where did you work before comair??

the rumor is that pdt will be the lone turbo prop operator at usairways, whether that means adios to colgan, or colgan upgrading to jets, the replacement of the junkstream 41's tsa's running, who knows, anythings possible nowadays.....

i totally agree with you...if US goes that route, the question is where are the carriers gonna go? i don't think any can survive on their own nowadays. unless they create their own "independence air"

Lots of us US Air Express pilots in the same boat here regardless of which regional we actually fly for. It sucks for everyone with the uncertainty, potential displacements or even worse - unemployment. The last few days I've heard pilots from both mainline and other regionals complain about the "fee per departure" operators and how they're to blame for US Airways demise. Riiiight, blame it on the regionals now...

As far as the whole industry, ticket prices need to increase across the board. The same passenger who paid $29 for a one way, probably doesn't mind driving his SUV for $200+ a month, but when it comes to flying an increase in ticket prices would be out of the question. And oh, by the way, throw in those free meals, hotels and everything else today's passengers have come to take for granted when the slightest delay or cancellation occurs. I had one passenger ask me whether she should be contempt with the $10 meal voucher she was given after our flight cancelled and the next flight leaving wasn't until 3 hours later. I just told her that she just got paid more than I did for the whole afternoon and the crews don't get any meals paid for - at least that shut her up.

Here's another thought for future airline survival. Why not start advertising on the airplanes instead. Use the exterior as a giant billboard and let the sponsor pay for the plane. How often do people actually look at the plane they fly in? Not very often and most people have the tickets well before even getting to the airport to see what their plane looks like. On the other hand, how many people look at all the other planes sitting at the gates, taxing, landing and taking off while waiting in the airport or sitting in the back of their own plane. It's an advertisement avenue just waiting to be explored. Considering most passengers nowadays aren't loyal to any one particular airline, does it really matter if the paint scheme says AOL.COM, Pepsi or Home Depot?

Ok, got a little off topic here, but as far as US Airways dropping the "non-wholly owned", I'd be more concerned about US Airways dropping EVERYTHING and liquidating! If US Airways is still around within the next few months, there are certainly more important things they need to restructure and change than dropping express carriers that aren't wholly owned. Many of these flights are full or close to being full and there is no way the wholly owned carriers could go in and take over all that flying with such a short notice without US Airways losing money over it. So, sit back, relax and don't let the rumors go to your head! Just be prepared...

Here's another thought for future airline survival. Why not start advertising on the airplanes instead. Use the exterior as a giant billboard and let the sponsor pay for the plane. How often do people actually look at the plane they fly in? Not very often and most people have the tickets well before even getting to the airport to see what their plane looks like. On the other hand, how many people look at all the other planes sitting at the gates, taxing, landing and taking off while waiting in the airport or sitting in the back of their own plane. It's an advertisement avenue just waiting to be explored. Considering most passengers nowadays aren't loyal to any one particular airline, does it really matter if the paint scheme says AOL.COM, Pepsi or Home Depot?
Great Idea!...lets call it.....Western Pacific!;)

I tried the whole nascar thing out on my own. I took it upon myself to contact viagara. For about two weeks i was driving my 1900 around with a 10 foot viagara sticker on the side of the plane. The planes are all shaped like d1cks anyway. Chief pilot was pissed when he called me one day. That was the end of that.

Latest resources

Back