• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Customs- WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thank both aircraft manufactures and whom ever came up with the over flight permit. It's been years since I have had to clear customs any where other than our home airport.

My favorite customs story comes from Miami...it was late at night, I flew for an air ambulance company at the time. We landed at Miami, and made our way to the customs building. The customs official refused to clear us until the immigration person had cleared us. The immigration person refused to clear us until the customs person had our paper work...lots of finger pointing. As somepoint both persons came to the aircraft after a nice long wait. The flight nurse kept asking what was going on as the passengers condition was deteriorating. We explained that it's typical Miami customs crap. The nurse took it upon herself (which we where not pleased with, but laugh about it now) to walk inside and ask for whom ever was in charge, she was met with resistance, and I'm sure we where close to being put in customs jail...when she finially was attended to, she asked for the officers name and badge number...and also the local time. With a look of confusion the office asked why? She said that she needed the information for her paper work when the passenger passed away...needless to say we where cleared quickly and on our way. I loved the look on their faces...but hate Miami with a passion!

After dealing with the customs folks in just about all the airports in South Florida over the years, I generally think they get more cooperative the further north you go. Miami is a real pain and it is a last resort stop for me. As for KFLL, we were based there and cleared it mostly without much hassle because we got use to their routine. The customs folks say it is the same everywhere, but that's a bunch of hogwash. Each unit has their own fiefdom and protocol and they offer no assistance in helping you figure out exactly what they want. They just expect you to know it. We began keeping notes as to what was wanted at which location and most times, it all went smoothly. Last week we entered the country from Canada through Great Falls and they were very pleasant indeed. So, it depends on the location and the person you are dealing with.

I whole heartedly agree with this last post, once you learn the little likes and dislikes of every single agent at every single customs and and immigration office it will be a breeze!
Seriously though it can be pretty frustrating at times, I've learned that if you're clearing at a station you haven't used before it's a good idea to "over do" the paperwork, smile a lot, say Ma'am and Sir as appropriate ( if you can accurately judge whom you're dealing with ) and be ON TIME.
I think they have some serious standardization issues to deal with nationwide, but unless you're dealing with them on a daily basis it's nothing you can't live with.

another favorite of mine is when the pax start mouthing off to them. Gee thanks, my 14 hr day just turned into 20.

Just went through BGR yesterday. Customs met us at the airplane and we were done in less than 5minutes. In fact, from landing to takeoff was only 25 minutes... refuled (3000 gal.), lav service, trash & catering. Superb service!

Customs definately seems to be the worse in S. Florida.

Isn't it interesting that it is all one agency, but the procedures for clearing are vastly different from place to place. For instance in S. Florida you pack up the bags and take them inside, but at other destinations if you step out of the airplane you can get screamed at. Paperwork and entry requirements are different also. In S. Fla all that is needed is a phone call an hour in advace in order to enter, but at other places you need to fax the Gen Dec two hours ahead of time. The worst part is that it isn't written anywhere. Best bet is to call ahead anytime you are visiting a Customs office that you haven't been to before.

Aguadilla and San Juan Puerto Rico. Horrid.

ILM, BUF, ALB...smooth as silk.

Never had any issues in West Palm or Ft. Pierce. That is until the big boss insisted on using his cell phone inside the customs building. After a very short debate he found out he was not the big boss in there. No more issues.

Just went through BGR yesterday. Customs met us at the airplane and we were done in less than 5minutes. In fact, from landing to takeoff was only 25 minutes... refuled (3000 gal.), lav service, trash & catering. Superb service!

I think that BGR customs is the best. I have used them a couple of times, and been treated great both times.
I sat in BTV one time for 30 min. before they came out, and I was right on time getting there. Once there the agent was nice though.
South Florida Customs are terrible.

I think that BGR customs is the best. I have used them a couple of times, and been treated great both times.
I sat in BTV one time for 30 min. before they came out, and I was right on time getting there. Once there the agent was nice though.
South Florida Customs are terrible.

I agree BGR is great.

laredo guys have always been great, as well as DAL. FLL is another story. My coast guard son always said to try OPF, but haven't had the chance so far.

Latest resources

Back