US Customs- WTF?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capt1124

I have just about had it with these donkeys. Make one little mistake, after trying in good faith to comply with the rules, and you're a criminal. Or worse- I'm sure felons get more respect, at least from what I see on "Cops."

The power tripping disrespect is way out of line. If they were actually accomplishing something I would understand, but since you can just walk across the border and get a fake Social Security card and green card for $100 I don't see how jacking up legitimate people in private aircraft is anything but an ego boost.

Get use to it.. it's not going to change any time soon. It was a pleasure to pass through customs today in the NE where you don't have to unload all the bags and pax and do the walk into the customs building to be degraded by government workers with an attitude! They came out to the a/c at the FBO, were very nice and in 15 min had us on our way. You want to see bad come down to Miami or OPF or PBI!!!! It doesn't get any worse than that! :)

my favorite is getting berated by a cutoms guy who has a hispanic accent, and questioning my blue eyed red blooded AMERICAN BORN azz!:uzi:

I thank both aircraft manufactures and whom ever came up with the over flight permit. It's been years since I have had to clear customs any where other than our home airport.

My favorite customs story comes from Miami...it was late at night, I flew for an air ambulance company at the time. We landed at Miami, and made our way to the customs building. The customs official refused to clear us until the immigration person had cleared us. The immigration person refused to clear us until the customs person had our paper work...lots of finger pointing. As somepoint both persons came to the aircraft after a nice long wait. The flight nurse kept asking what was going on as the passengers condition was deteriorating. We explained that it's typical Miami customs crap. The nurse took it upon herself (which we where not pleased with, but laugh about it now) to walk inside and ask for whom ever was in charge, she was met with resistance, and I'm sure we where close to being put in customs jail...when she finially was attended to, she asked for the officers name and badge number...and also the local time. With a look of confusion the office asked why? She said that she needed the information for her paper work when the passenger passed away...needless to say we where cleared quickly and on our way. I loved the look on their faces...but hate Miami with a passion!

First of all Custom's officers have supervisor's and other people they answer to. Find their Chain of Command and send out a professional and desciptive letter outlining your mistreatment and make sure every one in the Chain gets a CC: that way if there is an attempt of cover up or lose the letter, it can be verified quickly. Just make sure your letter is done in a non judgemental and non accusatory way. Outlining the facts and providing witnesses will help.
As a government employee it is very difficult to fire someone, however they do have to maintain a record of employment which has yearly reviews for promotions.
I use the power of the pen when I feel it is needed and have found that I rarely need to follow up with another.

Latest resources

Back