• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Army to CAP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gotta love helping the kids and all, but as far as CAP goes, only huge nerds need apply...Least from all the CAP units I have ever seen/given incentive rides to...

Gotta agree with Vandal on this one. I was interested, so I went to one of their meetings many years ago just before I got in the military. The kids were all dressed in BDU's and the adults were in Nomex. It was at night and this one jacka$$ sit there the whole time with aviator sunglasses on.

If your looking for the comradery you enjoyed as an Army aviator in the CAP, don't waste your time.

Gotta agree with Vandal on this one. I was interested, so I went to one of their meetings many years ago just before I got in the military. The kids were all dressed in BDU's and the adults were in Nomex. It was at night and this one jacka$$ sit there the whole time with aviator sunglasses on.

If your looking for the comradery you enjoyed as an Army aviator in the CAP, don't waste your time.

What if you're looking for a way to earn enough points to retirement but don't want to keep working with a Guard or Reserve unit? I'd say that most guys would suck up the nerd factor and do what's best for them and their families. Very few mil guys want to join CAP units b/c they think the CAP is cool, I'd think most of 'em just want to join for the points.

Im in SDF now, we moved from South Fla several years ago. He11, I dont mind the geek factor, Im a cargo pilot... LOL I really do enjoy helping out kids and if I can accomplish the points and get to mentor, Id be loving it.

Ill call National HQ tomorrow and report back

BBDC8

I joined because it was another opportunity to fly airplanes. The folks there are generally nice folks. it does get frustrating dealing with the bureaucracy, lack of equipment, etc...
The pilots range from 150 hour private pilots on up. It's a different type of person than I normally work with in the military, but geeks or not, they also like aviation. That's good enough for me.

I'm not sure how one could get enough points out of the CAP to be considered a "good year" towards retirement. If I remember correctly you needed at least 50 points in a FY. I don't know how you could get that out of the CAP. I played the points game myself for a year through correspondence courses and two weeks with an AD unit.

Depends very much on the local unit and the people in it. Some are alot of fun with great guys, others not so much. There's a lot of fun flying in pretty good airplanes. The fleet is being replaced with C-182 G-1000's, and there are several GA-8's like in the photo above.

CAP members are all civilian volunteers and don't get points. They can fly CAP aircraft cheap (and sometimes for free if they are a private pilot or better (part 91). The USAF has a AD command (called CAP/USAF - located with CAP NHQ at Maxwell and reports to AU) that is responsible for advice, liaison and support of CAP. CAP/USAF has several AD USAF pesonnel and also has a DAF GS employee State Director (almost always a retired AF pilot) assigned to every state responsible for advice, liaison and oversight - and this person usually has several USAF reservists (mostly officer although there are enlisted) working with him for points only. They also do advice, liaison and oversight on behalf of USAF - and therefore can't be active CAP members. Generally they are points only but I think sometimes there are paid man-days available too.

State Directors can fly CAP aircraft but I don't think USAF reservists can (even if they are rated pilots) - they can be pax.

I have never seen anyone from other branches doing the CAP/USAF reservist thing so my guess is you'd have to move from your current branch to USAFR. Doesn't matter if you are in any branch to join as a CAP member. If you have been discharged, it has to be an honrable discharge.

Last edited:
One of my unit's former FEs transferred to the CAP. He is points/no pay. He told me there are mandays but they are very, very few and very, very far between.

Latest resources

Back