US Army to CAP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BIGBROWNDC8

Are there any Civil Air Patrol (CAP) guys out there? Id like to get some info before going in to talk with anyone "Officially"

My history in a nut shell, I was a a enlisted US Marine for 4 years, then a Helicopter Pilot in the Army for 8 years. I have been a line pilot and an instructor here at UPS for about 6 years. Do you think the CAP would be interested in a guy like me?

Is it possible for an Former Army guy like me to earn points (no pay, just points) towards retirement either from the Flight Sqdn or the Composite Sqdn. I really enjoy helping mentor kids that are interested in Aviation and Id like to give back, so the Composite Sqdn sounds like a great way to do that. Getting the retirement points would be icing on the cake...

Thanks all
BBDC8

I have read that there is a way to drill for points with a CAP unit. I think I saw it on AKO and the Army Reserve site 2Xcitizen about a year ago. Sorry my memory is fuzzy because I was in Iraq when this came out.

I know of some non-USAF types that have done this in the past, so go for it. Remember, much of CAP is volunteer... that means things move s-l-o-w-l-y.
Also, in the past, certain CAP liaisons were not allowed to fly with the CAP. Hopefully, they've done away with that rule.

Are there any Civil Air Patrol (CAP) guys out there? Id like to get some info before going in to talk with anyone "Officially"

My history in a nut shell, I was a a enlisted US Marine for 4 years, then a Helicopter Pilot in the Army for 8 years. I have been a line pilot and an instructor here at UPS for about 6 years. Do you think the CAP would be interested in a guy like me?

Is it possible for an Former Army guy like me to earn points (no pay, just points) towards retirement either from the Flight Sqdn or the Composite Sqdn. I really enjoy helping mentor kids that are interested in Aviation and Id like to give back, so the Composite Sqdn sounds like a great way to do that. Getting the retirement points would be icing on the cake...

Thanks all
BBDC8

Not sure about that points thing. But, it is a good thing for you to volunteer with CAP. They need pilots and Senior memebers to guide Cadets. I have gone to a few meetings locally and I am going to sign up as soon as I can get away from work again on a Tues night. They have basically been calling me and begging me to come back ASAP. Since it is volunteer, they need as many SAR people as they can when they get the call.

If I get back from my trip on time I am going Tues night. I will ask some questions then and get back to you. Are you in S. Florida?

The new bird in my local unit:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1151858/L/

Ruskie

Gotta love helping the kids and all, but as far as CAP goes, only huge nerds need apply...Least from all the CAP units I have ever seen/given incentive rides to...

Huggy I think (could be wrong) liason guys can fly if they want to (maybe they have to be "official" CAP members).
Big Brown, if you're in the SDF area there were two CAP squadrons in the area one at LOU and the other at JVY. There were several military guys (but weren't looking to earn points) at JVY.
You ask an interesting question because I've recently relocated to Scott AFB area and about everyone is military (both enlisted and officers). I just thought they wanted to get some cheap bug smashing in.
I kind of agree with Vandal but it depends on the unit. Actually, we're all aviation nerds to some degree.

Last edited:
Some CAP Squadrons are great, others live up the public perception of 'a bunch of frustrated Pattons ordering kids around'. YMMV.

Call up CAP National HQ for the skinny on points: http://www.cap.gov/

Check out the AF IRR websites. I use to have that link many years ago, and it does exist for former Army guys. Basically you revert over to the AF IRR. All your answers can be found in the AF regs.

Latest resources

Back