• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways to start accepting apps.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again this is what I was told this week from the 190 boss in recurrent.
Let's hope it stays that way. I believe the same person told the senior January class members that there will be no new hires this year (as of Feb 2011). It just shows that planning has very little info on future pilot retirements/new hire needs.

Last year around this time, there were no plans for recalls. Then, in June or July the announcement of recalls was made. Things can change quickly. Not always for the best, as we all know.

No one has touched on my biggest fear with USAir... That the newly combined SWA/Airtran will be now be able to suceed at what they have been trying for years. To kill them off and take over CLT. They pretty much told us at our Higher Power class 6 years ago that they were trying to kill USAir but were unsucessful. I fear that with the aquisition of Airtran and a suddenly massive presence in the south that they will finally be able to do it.

I do not wish for this to happen, but feel it's a real possibility.

Anyone else?

That sounds very likely! I will add it to my list of ongoing serious concerns. I am serious.

No one has touched on my biggest fear with USAir... That the newly combined SWA/Airtran will be now be able to suceed at what they have been trying for years. To kill them off and take over CLT. They pretty much told us at our Higher Power class 6 years ago that they were trying to kill USAir but were unsucessful. I fear that with the aquisition of Airtran and a suddenly massive presence in the south that they will finally be able to do it.

Anyone else?

I think Delta needs to be worried first, but you are right they are going to attack US Airways.

Cactus has a 60%+ route overlap with WN, and has had so for years (if not decades now.) If WN was going to finish them off they would have done so by now, but as you pointed out, they couldn't....

Anyone else?

It will improve things for US AIR actually. With ValueJet/AirTran soon to be gone there is one less competitor on the east coast. Fewer competitors means higher fares and less capacity. If anything they will give Delta hell.

Don't ever ever ever walk away from a 121 PIC position until you have at least 1000. Then do whatever you want and know that line will never come off your resume.

And dont ever pass up an opportunity to upgrade to get your 1000 hours. I know dozens of folks left behind at the regionals that didnt want to ruin their holidays or summers with upgrade. Many of them got caught in the 9/11 tide and sat in the right seat for years missing the few opportunities that have opened up.

Anyone else?

Multiple A/C fleet, Intl ops, RJ's and delay prone airports. Do you think the CASM for SWA will go up or stay the same?

1Q YOY Change in Stage Adjusted* Mainline CASM (Excluding Fuel and Special Charges)
SWA +4.5%
USA -1.3%

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back