• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways to hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You want to talk FOs- lets talk FOs- As embarrassed as you may be- and as deserving of more republic capts may be- I know too- and I still bet that- as for FOs- comparing a kid out of instructing w/ a major airline FO is dumb- but that the conversation can be had highlights my point- there are practically no raises beyond 1st year- and no work rules to magnify that rate-and no way to fly extra- that $41/hr is equating to $35k/year-72 hr guarantee is it- so I won't compare 1st year rates among the two- but there are 2nd year republic
FOs doing better than 2nd year mainline 190 FOs. And I know the 3rd year FOs are.
Topped out mainline FOs are doing better at $55, but it takes 9 years to get topped out and 6yrs to get close- And they're still grossing less than $50k.

A. I'm not embarrassed personally. I have no dog in this fight, except that its hard to justify higher payrates for my 37 seat turboprop when Republic is flying aircraft 3 times as big for lower rates.
B. Where are you getting all your salary info? Guesses?
C. My initial comment about Republics pay rates that prompted your rant is still correct in spite of everything you've guessed at.

Hey bud not my fault they follow the army of laryngitis off the cliff. They could have gone DOH with us and had jobs!!!

Spoken like a true criminal. "I told them to hand over their wallets or I'd shoot them, it's their fault." If only they'd willingly let us staple them. Good thing you're enjoying LOA93:laugh:

I'm just find with Loa 93! No Nic! Have fun shrinking in the desert heat! How are your furloughs and army of laryngitis? Good times to come!

That's right, you keep telling yourself that big old turd sandwich is really a sirloin burger or something better. Yum Yum :laugh:

One side of the airline has good statistics and makes money. The other side whines about everything,embarrasses the entire airline and had at least two crew bases in the crosshairs in any merger with AMR.

Quick now, which is which?

15 year crj 900 captain pinnacle - 99
15 year usair emb - 99
good lord, if i left pinnacle right now, (year 8) i would never make the same pay as an fo, it would take captain on the bus to recover that

15 year crj 900 captain pinnacle - 99
15 year usair emb - 99
good lord, if i left pinnacle right now, (year 8) i would never make the same pay as an fo, it would take captain on the bus to recover that

Hey smart guy. With over half of there pilot group retireing in the next 5 years do you really think you would be a 15 years Emb-190 Capt at USair. The point that keeps guys interviewing there right now is the fact that you will be a Captain on a heavy in 6-7 years. So do yourself a favor and ask yourself where you want to be in 7 years. In 15 years at pinnacle you will be flying a crj900 for $99/hr give or take a few bucks, (New contract etc) maybe. In 7 years at Airways you will be an A-330 capt. makeing $153 an hour, with more small raises comeing in your future. Worst case scenario you are an A-330 FO makeing $101/hr with a long term potential to make a lot more.

So the real question comes down to how old you are and how well you think you can tell the future. If you are 30 I would call you an idiot for not going and taking the chance. If you are 45+ I would say stay put, hope for the best, pay off all your debt, put as much into your retirement as possible and you will probably retire ok.

what if i was 32? Lived in base, 2 children and would have to either commute or move, no flame here, just curious. What I am making right now would be a huge loss, then crash pad or moving expenses on top of that, plus my wife would have to work again. This is the eternal struggle i am dealing with. I live in a delta base but i am not sure i want to wait for them because i am not perfect, so they probably wont hire me.

what if i was 32? Lived in base, 2 children and would have to either commute or move, no flame here, just curious. What I am making right now would be a huge loss, then crash pad or moving expenses on top of that, plus my wife would have to work again. This is the eternal struggle i am dealing with. I live in a delta base but i am not sure i want to wait for them because i am not perfect, so they probably wont hire me.

I would take the job and commute and do what I do which is bypass bigger equipment until I can be a block holder. I SAP down to working 4 commutable 3 day trips a month and if SAP fails me I ride the bid sheet (AIL) to improve what I got stuck with. Then I get a trip bought for training every other month to make it even sweeter. Good luck with your decisions.

Easy choice. Apply to and get on as soon as possible. Yes it will suck. Yes your wife will hate working again. Yes your QOL will suck for a minimum of 2 years probably closer to 3 years. You have to have some forsight though. By age 35-36 you will have adjusted and your QOL will be close to what it is now. At age 40 you can either be a crj900 captain makeing $99/hr with no growth potential worried about a Delta contract comeing to an end. Or you can be a A-330 Captain with lots of growth potential makeing $150+ an hour. Be realistic. Is $99/hr as an only income with 3 people depending on you, 2 colleges, 2 cars, a couple weddings(maybe), and a retirement to save for really what you want in life. Give up 2-3 years of your life to make the 30 years after that better than you have now. Yup, easy decision

Hell take a look at the potential AA/USair merger or any other merger that could or could not happen and your life could be a lot better. You can hold out for Delta, but if you get stuck somewhere for 10+ years trying to get to Delta where is a better place to be. Pinnacle makeing $99/hr or usair makeing $83-$156 an hour depending on what QOL you want. Easy decision in my book, and to prove I am not just talking out of my A$$ I personally just made a very similiar choice. 8 year RAH 170/190 Capt. liveing in base or JB 1st year 190 FO commuteing to JFK. Just gotta have some forsight.

I also have a friend in the pool at USAIR that is in exact same position. He is leaveing a check airmen spot at RAH and will leave for USair as soon as they call him for a class date. I gave him the exact same advice as I just gave you. Good Luck

I would also buy off the internet, read, and live the phylosophy taught in "The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back