Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
US Airways Group Inc. said it brought suit Friday against the US Airline Pilots Association in a bid to block what the company alleges is an illegal job-action campaign by the union that represents its 5,200 pilots.

The Tempe, Ariz., carrier, which has been dealing with severe pilot frictions since a 2005 merger that combined the old US Airways with America West Airlines, said it has "overwhelming evidence of illegal activity" by the union. US Airways asked a federal court in Charlotte, N.C., where the airline has a hub and the union is based, to grant an injunction to block the alleged work slowdown.

A spokesman for the US Airline Pilots Association said late Friday that the union was studying the lawsuit and had no immediate reaction. The union has publicly alleged that the carrier is forcing its pilots to fly in unsafe aircraft and has called for flight safety executives at the airline to be removed.

In a memo to employees on Friday, Doug Parker, US Airways's chief executive, alleged that the union leadership is encouraging its members to taxi slowly at airports to arrive 16 minutes late, thus missing the government's 15-minute window for on-time arrivals and causing passenger and baggage misconnections. Mr. Park also said the union is encouraging members to slow down their online training so that flights will be canceled and to write up non-critical maintenance items just before departure to cause flight delays.

Further, he said, the union leadership is intimidating and retaliating against members who don't cooperate with the slowdown. He said the lawsuit isn't aimed at individual pilots but at the union and its leadership.

Wildcat job activities are illegal under federal laws. If the union is found to be encouraging the alleged behavior, the court could enter an injunction. If the alleged activities continued, the union could be found liable for damages.

The pilots from the old US Airways and old America West have been fighting for years over a way to merge their seniority list, and many are unhappy with the method selected by an arbitrator.

Many US Airways pilots, a larger and more senior group, felt the fewer and junior America West pilots were going to gain at their expense if that seniority method was put into place. The two groups have been fighting ever since, and thus have never been able to jointly negotiate a new labor contract with US Airways. The US Airways pilots were numerous enough to boot out the former union and install the independent USAPA, leaving the American West pilots feeling relatively disenfranchised.

US Airways at one point offered the warring groups a single contract that would raise its costs by $120 million a year. But the pilots' dispute has stalled contract negotiations for years while the seniority-integration issue remained center stage. Meantime, both groups are working under concessionary labor contracts struck early in the last decade after 9/11 sunk the industry into severe financial distress.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904800304576476700198310690.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Easy win for management, precedence has already been set. Has there ever been more inept leadership than the USAPA leadership? Gotta laugh when they talk about merging with anybody with the state they are in. They are unmergeable under USAPA.

Last edited:
Before people get their panties in a wad with ..LCC is being mean to me again... you need to go read the complaint. It will take 20 minutes and contains some big words but I know you're up for it. After all, an informed pilot is a better pilot.

What Cleary and Co. have done is led you into a trap. Interestingly, its a trap of his own making. And one with huge consequences that he's not telling you about.

Once an injunction is issued, the Union is dead in the water. From then on, any variance from historical norms, on anything, will be suspect by the federal judge as a violation of the injunction, with fines to follow. If issued, any LCC pilot who raises his head out of the foxhole can be shot right between the eyes by management, with a federal judge's injunction proving it was justifiable homicide.

USAPA has already left, and continues to leave, a paper. Under the RLA, this is child's play for management. And no matter how many times we try to explain this it is met by the "weak sisters" accusation.

"Weak sisters" my ass. What's so damn brilliant about getting nailed by a federal court injunction, thereby making a federal judge, and his court, an ally of management at the negotiating table? That's not tough, it's just plain stupid.

USAPA leadership is amateurs. Just like the APA leadership which led AA pilots into a $45M judgement a decade ago.

Last edited:
I go to the USAPA web site all the time, am friends with a few USAPA officers and go to work all the time and I don't see what all you guys see. I'm serious and not trying to start anything with this post. I don't see or hear anything from USAPA that is an illegal job action. Every now and then I hear another pilot say stupid things but that isn't a union job action. Heck even I have said stupid things but USAPA didn't tell me to say it. I do four day trips where all 10 or 11 flights are early.

I go to the USAPA web site all the time, am friends with a few USAPA officers and go to work all the time and I don't see what all you guys see. I'm serious and not trying to start anything with this post. I don't see or hear anything from USAPA that is an illegal job action. Every now and then I hear another pilot say stupid things but that isn't a union job action. Heck even I have said stupid things but USAPA didn't tell me to say it. I do four day trips where all 10 or 11 flights are early.

You are probably right -- union officials are usually too smart to commit or encourage violations. The problem with an injunction as described by aeolian is that the union may be ordered to make all job actions stop, no matter who initiates them. Unfair? Impossible task? Perhaps so, but judges have been known to do just that. :(

USAPA has painted itself into even a smaller corner than before. Safety as a weapon will always backfire. Leadership at USAPA is worse than at a Cub Scout leadership for members intro class. I like all the data the company has collected on East ops., West ops. just doing fine. Do you think Cleary did his DLT or wears a yellow lanyard in uniform? Time to wake up East pilots and take control of your union or act like the lemmings you have been since 2008. Mark

You are probably right -- union officials are usually too smart to commit or encourage violations. The problem with an injunction as described by aeolian is that the union may be ordered to make all job actions stop, no matter who initiates them. Unfair? Impossible task? Perhaps so, but judges have been known to do just that. :(

I think we will lose this and if we do does that mean we have to be unsafe or can we still call maintenance when something breaks?

I go to the USAPA web site all the time, am friends with a few USAPA officers and go to work all the time and I don't see what all you guys see..
Have you read the Complaint? Plenty of Cleary, Mowrey, Theuer, and Kubik quotes. Judges are very corporate-friendly when it comes to these things and I think an injunction is assured. We'll then see if the Easties have the guts to continue and incur a fine. I would personally enjoy that very much.

The funny part of all this is the insanely stupid timing USAPA chose to launch their "safety" campaign. Parker has stated numerous times a contract won't be had until the seniority issue is resolved. Thus all the unity and resolve the Easties showed was for naught. And this can't all be blamed on the megalomaniac Kim Jong Cleary. As the saying goes, Who is the bigger fool? The fool who leads or the fool who follows?

charlie2 said:
I think we will lose this and if we do does that mean we have to be unsafe or can we still call maintenance when something breaks?
I know you didn't really just ask that.

Last edited:

Way too little, WAY too late. I'm sure you were checking in to ATC "on board". I've heard it a million times. You can now tell it to the Judge.

USAPA is going to be crushed into a quadrillion little bits over this. I can't wait.:beer:

Latest resources

Back