• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways raises the offer to 10.2 Billion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No he didn't. That was ROTFLOAO funny.:laugh: Good one spinproof! Made my day.

Are you still in Seoul? Bummer. When do you go back towards ANC? Someday.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hmmm....

So, this extra 20% is in cash, right? Nope. It's all added debt....if this is consumated, you have an extremely over leveraged airline with reactionary mergers that follow. Immediately you have a third tier air carrier with no Pacific rim exposure that will have to divest itself of critical east coast landing slots, gates and routes. The resulting reactionary mergers will produce stronger airlines with superior networks, and, they scoop up the divested assets as well.

Maybe that's the real plan: put the combined company hopelessly in debt, squeeze the employees again, sell off assets, and bail out with a huge golden parachute. It's been done before.

I predict that this higher offer will completely convert General Lee into the biggest supporter there is.

I predict this offer will put more coin in every Delta pilots pocket as the claim sale is in full swing. Beyond that, it's just another fart in the wind by Dougie with a drop dead date of Feb. 1.

Wow, I should read it and weep? Huh? The Government came in yesterday and stated there would be hearings, and both the Senate and House don't seem very interested in this deal at all. They will strike it down, even if the creditors somehow said yes to this new deal (5 of the 9 on the committee are friendlies). I still can't wait to see Parker testify in front of the Senate and the House panels. Say it with a straight face Doug--"We will lower fares, and this is good for the consumer.....taking one of two airlines out of many cities in the Southeast...." Riiiight. It is all over but the shouting (was that the case with US and UAL?).

Bye Bye--General Lee

Takeing one airline out is a good thing. WE have toooooooo much capacity and you know that, just because they picked Delta general you are throwing a fit, if it didn't involve Delta you would be screaming how much we need this deal and consolidation and blah blah blah, shut up and take it like a man.

You can't debate, so you try to make fun, and instead look dumb.

Bye Bye--General Lee

OK..sorry I'll try not to make fun of you anymore...Oh and I'm trying not to look dumb..and..and... I know I'm not a good debater..well its hard when you're up against such a "Master-de-bater"....:rolleyes: ...uh with all due respect of course!

Takeing one airline out is a good thing. WE have toooooooo much capacity and you know that, just because they picked Delta general you are throwing a fit, if it didn't involve Delta you would be screaming how much we need this deal and consolidation and blah blah blah, shut up and take it like a man.

That really makes no sense. Mergers are good when they actually make sense. The USAir/AWA merger actually made sense, and was good for both parties. This one does not. You know as well as I do that taking capacity out of the system will NOT last long. Southwest and others will fill in the gaps, with lower wages for those people who were put out of work due to the original bad merger. I don't think consolidation is the answer, but if others do actually move to merge and it makes sense (CAL/UAL could merge because their routes and hubs would be a good fit)---then there would be a move towards consolidation. But a merger or takeover that really makes NO sense, that doesn't work. Looks like the Gov't doesn't want any mergers right now. You should take this up with your local Congressman, or call Oberstar directly....

Bye Bye--General Lee

OK..sorry I'll try not to make fun of you anymore...Oh and I'm trying not to look dumb..and..and... I know I'm not a good debater..well its hard when you're up against such a "Master-de-bater"....:rolleyes: ...uh with all due respect of course!

You got that right........And I smile the whole time :).....

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

Why do you say SW will give them low paying jobs? Last I checked, SW pays their 737 Captains from $174-$198 an hour and that is favorable to DL 777 rates of $173-$188 per hour. It is a good thing they don't pay DL rates and give them such low paying jobs may have been what you meant unless you are aware of a new pay raise on the way. And by the way, I do hope that you do have a pay raise on the way. I hope that we all have a pay raise on the way!

General,

Why do you say SW will give them low paying jobs? Last I checked, SW pays their 737 Captains from $174-$198 an hour and that is favorable to DL 777 rates of $173-$188 per hour. It is a good thing they don't pay DL rates and give them such low paying jobs may have been what you meant unless you are aware of a new pay raise on the way. And by the way, I do hope that you do have a pay raise on the way. I hope that we all have a pay raise on the way!

That is not what I mean at all. Most of the workers that will be let go will be airport workers or ramp and gate people due to the fact that at airports served by both, they don't need two ticket counters or twice the gates. They will have to start over with new carriers if they want to stay in the business, at lower wages and lower or new seniority. Thanks for bringing up the new pilot wages at Southwest. We helped them get that with our original 777 rates. Thanks.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back