• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways raises the offer to 10.2 Billion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Parker is not dumb, eh? What about that USAToday debacle? Didn't he state, in front of editors and jounalists (not a tape recorder), that he would not persue DL if our management didn't want it?
No, Parker is not dumb. His attempted buyout may be a longshot but he has experts he paid to find out if it was possible for it to clear regulatory hurdles. Parker is in a better position to make that assessment than you are. Making it clear the DOJ may cost more than it's worth but he's obviously willing to try.

I feel no need to defend Parker, but I interpret his statements about getting DAL management on board differently. He obviously knew DAL management wasn't interested since he'd already spoken to them privately. His hope is that the creditors will convince management to get on board. If that doesn't work he'll know he's failed.

usair buys dal, sells parts of it to united, cal buys united. end of story

IF US bought DL, the the DOJ would allow the others to merge, which would leave two monsters (UAL/CAL and AA/NW) against poor little new DL. We would be smashed. We would have no Asian presence and go back into Chap 11, with $24 billion in debt. Thanks Doug!

Bye Bye--General Lee

No, Parker is not dumb. His attempted buyout may be a longshot but he has experts he paid to find out if it was possible for it to clear regulatory hurdles. Parker is in a better position to make that assessment than you are. Making it clear the DOJ may cost more than it's worth but he's obviously willing to try.

I feel no need to defend Parker, but I interpret his statements about getting DAL management on board differently. He obviously knew DAL management wasn't interested since he'd already spoken to them privately. His hope is that the creditors will convince management to get on board. If that doesn't work he'll know he's failed.

Hello? Anyone, anyone can see there is so much overlap it is ridiculous. Just because USAir doesn't fly from ATL or CVG to the same cities, doesn't mean there isn't overlap. You might not see it, then. Obvioulsy the other people in control, the Congress, don't like it, and will squash it if they want (just like they did with US/UA--they leaned on the DOJ and got it squashed)

Parker making those statements to the USAToday was one of the biggest blunders ever. My friends in PHX told me it was on the front page of their own paper --"USAir will NOT fight for DL." FRONT PAGE. The President, Kirby, immediately made the statement the next day (notice Parker did not, since he was still cleaning his shorts) that Parker didn't really mean that....

As far as the creditors, the official committee is mainly friendly to DL, and the others are hoping for a good deal. Part of the problem, again, is that if Parker were to succeed, it would take longer for them to get their money. The DOJ process for the US/UA attempt took 14 months.(and that only had one area of contention--IAD/DCA) Didn't USAir and United propose selling the DC slots to good ole "DC Air"---headed by the head of BET? Yes, yes they did. It still didn't pass the Gov't test.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Here is the first part of the article again. Please tell me how you understood it agian??

Marilyn Adams
USA TODAY
Dec. 5, 2006 06:51 PM

US Airways will give up its proposed takeover of Delta Air Lines if management there can't be persuaded of the benefits, US Airways CEO Doug Parker said Tuesday.

Parker said Tuesday he's not prepared to fight Delta's management in bankruptcy court by submitting a merger plan to the judge without the backing of Delta's management.

"We have to get to a point where are all working together on this or it's not going to happen," Parker said during a meeting with editors and reporters at USA Today. "This is all about convincing Delta's management that this plan makes sense."

At the same time, though, the Tempe-based company remains confident it will prevail.

"Because this transaction creates value that can only be created through a merger, and because the bankruptcy process is designed to elicit value, we're going to get this done," US Airways President Scott Kirby said at the Reuters Aerospace and Defense Summit in Washington.

US Airways has made an unsolicited takeover offer of $8billion-plus in cash and stock to acquire Delta, the nation's third-biggest carrier, which is in Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Delta's management has rebuffed the offer, saying it's too risky and that Delta is better off as an independent airline.

Notice again it was to a group of editors and journalists---not a tape recorder he was talking to.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hello? Anyone, anyone can see there is so much overlap it is ridiculous.
All I'm saying is that people who know a lot more about mergers and the DOJ than you or I are saying that it can happen. I'm sure you've already read the article about USAir divesting gates in CLT. That's just the beginning. Remember how the USAir/United merger also involved a number of 757s going to American? Think along those lines. This thing can happen if the right wheels are greased.

What happens on Feb 1? Is this hostile takeover attempt finally going to be put to rest?

Hello? Anyone, anyone can see there is so much overlap it is ridiculous.

i agree, and not to sound cold or that i dont care about what happens to the people at DAl, but I bet that UAL buys what USair dont want, and that CAL comes in and picks up the UAL/DAL(whats left over) combo. I think that DAL will be divided up. I think in the long run it will be good for the industry, and i dont see people loosing jobs, just putting on a new uniform. That will also satify the competition that congress wants in order to approve the deal. There is so much behind the scenes crap going on here that we will never no about. I bet all the CEO's get together and have a weekly confrence call and have it all laid out who is gonna do what when. We are simply pawns my friend

Last edited:
IF US bought DL, the the DOJ would allow the others to merge, which would leave two monsters (UAL/CAL and AA/NW) against poor little new DL. We would be smashed. We would have no Asian presence and go back into Chap 11, with $24 billion in debt. Thanks Doug!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General you've got yourself worked up into a bit of a frenzy here. No amount of posting is going to change the outcome of this deal. While we sit here and bit#h management is actively working this deal out.

Now you're above statement contradicts your previous statements. Obviously as you stated the DOJ will not permit excessive market dominance. If UAL/CAL or AA/NWA merge then the DOJ will force them to sell some slots/routes to appease the anticompetitive issues. The new Dal would be in a perfect position to pick up some of those routes. If it turns into three mega carriers I would imagine the government will make sure that they are fairly evenly matched...

General you've got yourself worked up into a bit of a frenzy here. No amount of posting is going to change the outcome of this deal. While we sit here and bit#h management is actively working this deal out.
Now don't ya'll go fret'n yoselfs 'bout Mistah Gen-ral. He's got a burr stuck in his saddle and no 'mount reas'ng gonna change thangs. He's bound for dat coat'house now and theys gonna be H-E dubb'll hockey sticks to pay for mor'ng! Yassir I's do believes' it. Unhuh sure do's!

Latest resources

Back