• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weasel_lips

USNews Now: Furloughed Pilots and Flight Attendants Return to Work

July 21, 2010

On top of the second quarter profit we announced earlier this morning, we’re pleased to tell you that we’re recalling 300 pilots and flight attendants from furlough status. We anticipate most of these recalled employees will be flying the line by the end of this year.
Here’s how the numbers break out:
  • 220 flight attendant recalls (125 former US Airways flight attendants currently on voluntary furlough status and 95 former America West flight attendants currently on involuntary furlough status will have the option to return to active status);
  • 80 pilot recalls (40 former US Airways and 40 former America West pilots currently on involuntary furlough status will have the option to return to active status).

USAPA NEWS FLASH

US Airways Announces Recalls

USAPA has for some time been advocating to Management that staffing levels were unsustainable, with particular emphasis on the 190 workload, flight times, reserve compliment and pressure that these pilots are under. With that, the Company has today announced the recalls of 80 pilots; 40 pilots to the West and 40 pilots to the East operation. The Company has indicated that the recall notices would go out Monday and that they would begin scheduling classes Sept. 1, with all 80 to be trained by year end. USAPA has advised the Company that the information for compliance with contractual obligations.

1) How many from the West were furloughed? I know it was skewed to the east. I'm gonna guess about 60?

2) Does the 224 furloughed include voluntary furloughs?

3) Crazy thought - Say the West now or later needs more pilots than they have furloughed. Do they hire off the street while there are still furloughed East pilots?

Anyway, I am glad to finally hear some good news! My unemployment ran out, I have a good stockpile of homebrewed beer on hand (300 gallons so far), my baby is now a little girl and on a trajectory for success in life, and I have a comfortable cache of homemade...supplies that should last for the duration.

I am ready to become a productive member of society again. Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you who supported moochers like me either voluntarily (USAPA's donations) or involuntarily by taxing the "rich" to give to the poor. That would be the 49% of Americans who still pay federal income tax. Someone has to work, and I look forward to becoming one of you again soon.

I think there are about 85-90 east furloughs and 120-130 west furloughs. all involuntary and have heard they are bringing all the involuntary furloughs back first. I have also heard that there will be more recalls this year in addition to what was already announced today.

1) How many from the West were furloughed? I know it was skewed to the east. I'm gonna guess about 60?

2) Does the 224 furloughed include voluntary furloughs?

3) Crazy thought - Say the West now or later needs more pilots than they have furloughed. Do they hire off the street while there are still furloughed East pilots?

Anyway, I am glad to finally hear some good news! My unemployment ran out, I have a good stockpile of homebrewed beer on hand (300 gallons so far), my baby is now a little girl and on a trajectory for success in life, and I have a comfortable cache of homemade...supplies that should last for the duration.

I am ready to become a productive member of society again. Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you who supported moochers like me either voluntarily (USAPA's donations) or involuntarily by taxing the "rich" to give to the poor. That would be the 49% of Americans who still pay federal income tax. Someone has to work, and I look forward to becoming one of you again soon.

I second what he said. Thanks to the "ENTIRE PILOT GROUP" for the help and support through this furlough. I know many many of you have walked in our shoes and can relate to the troubles that come with being on the street. 80 is a good start, Hopefully all furloughs will be returned soon.
I just wish I had this guys foresight to get a beer stash going. It would have tasted a lot better than the cheap crap I have been drinking for the last 17 mos. Hey it is the only thing I could use my food stamps for. (Before some of you freak out, I am joking) I look forward to getting back on line.

P.S. I know it is probably a crack pipe dream but do you think we could try to avoid turning this thread into the usual walk through the monkey house??

No sir, FI regulations stipulate that when there is dung, it must be promptly flung!

How bout dis, I will truck down some homebrew when we hit the CLT training center!

Sounds good but I think the transport of alcohol across state lines is a crime. No worries though, I know a guy with a black Trans Am who will run interference with the law for you. I'll bring the BBQ to go with the beer. For some reason the CLT area refuses to acknowledge that vinegar based is better than tomato based. Now I have given this thread something with meaning to argue about.

Last edited:
I have an e-mail request to get some questions answered. Your question is the ultimate known unknown.

I see the West list has furloughs from Sen # 1609 - 1746 = 137 pilots

224 - 137 = 87 East?

I had thought the East had more.

The 40 West guys would all be 2004 hire dates.

Rumor has it the involuntary (non LOA) guys will be called first. That would seem contrary to seniority order, but perhaps that is part of the LOA agreement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back