• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tarp said:
$39 tickets, $39 worth of service.

Or how about this?

$39 to fly to Orlando to pay $59/day to visit Disney.

The pendulum is just about to start swinging back. Comair probably is going to be spending a lot of money for a computer system in the near future. US Airways will have to liquidate or learn how to make money and pay folks to show up for work (which is true of all the airlines).

Rock bottom has been found and guess what? You can't find someone stupid enough to stand outside an airplane in Philly in winter throwing 50 lb bags for $8.00/hr. You can't find someone stupid enough to take $16K/ year to leave home and family to serve drinks and babysit whiny kids going to Disney. You can't find someone stupid enough to take $20K/year to fly an airplane at midnight, cross country, on Christmas Day (well, Gulfstream graduates excepted). At these pay levels, we have more important things to do with our family and friends. So what's the solution? Um, pay people more and raise the ticket prices.

We're almost there.
Actually I bet it was the newly hired rock bottom employees that showed up. This job action was by the older "bitter" long time employees. Best they be pushed aside, and into retirement.

How much longer is all this B.S. going to go on for ?

US Air -
Another 12months or more whilst more reorganisation takes place again and again.More employee concessions,re negotiated aircraft lease payments.more BK judgements.It is really sad but it must end soon for all concerned.
The customers will still be around and expansion will occur at other carriers once the dust settles.

United -
Similar scenario with poor customer service and management making decisions to further inconvenience customers.Air Wis a good example.

Delta -
Show me any difference from the others.And now the latest Comair debacle just to show consistency with the rest of the industry and piss off the customers.

Who is next to join this exclusive club ?

At least Northwest and Continental are getting on with the job of serving the travelling public.

LowIQer has finally gone off the deep end.

First: RN's can't diagnose. Only a doctor can diagnose, and the company doesn't have any right to send anyone to your house, period, even if they could find doctors willing to make housecalls on Christmas . . . . get a grip.

And, if I am sick, what's to say that I am sick at my home? I could have had a bad burrito anywhere in the country . . . .

The point is that these employees are saying that they have had enough, and that the job just isn;t worth doing under these conditions.

What you fail to understand or appreciate is that without dedicated employees, you have no company.

lowecur said:
This is absolutely outrageous!:mad: I have e-mailed Storm'n Norman Mineta, and demanded the BK judge give UAIR the right to fire these employees. The airline should be allowed by the BK judge to demand employees report to work for an examination by an RN. Those employees too sick to report would have to report that to their supervisor, who then would have RN's sent to their house for examination. Those too sick to work would be sent home, and those who are examined at home and no illness sick enough to keep them from driving should receive a letter of termination. Most of the employees calling in sick are probably at the hubs. This would not be a hard task to complete. Since the Unions have not acknowledged this as a job action, these employees would have a difficult time getting their jobs back.
And I suppose that you or anyone else will be able to PROVE that most of these that called in sick were actually NOT sick? Maybe you should be shuttled off to a doctors appointment at your expense should you ever call in sick...just to be sure.

I'm not saying I would ever do that myself, more than likely not. But let's wait for the facts.

Happy Near Year!

Mike

Ty Webb said:
LowIQer has finally gone off the deep end.

First: RN's can't diagnose. True, but they can do tests necessary to determine a diagnosis. Advance Practice Nurses (Nurse Practitioners or Physician Assistants can diagnose and would be contacted by phone to determine if an employee can report). Only a doctor can diagnose, and the company doesn't have any right to send anyone to your house, I'll bet the judge could order it period, even if they could find doctors willing to make housecalls on Christmas . . . . get a grip. Now Ty, I'm sure the judge could request all employees report to work who are able to do so. Those who claim to be too ill to work, would receive an examination and appropriate tests by an RN. An Advance Practice Nurse could then determine on the spot if an employee should be sent home.

And, if I am sick, what's to say that I am sick at my home? I could have had a bad burrito anywhere in the country . . . Sorry Ty, but unless you are just short of dying, you will be told to report to work. The point is that these employees are saying that they have had enough, and that the job just isn;t worth doing under these conditions.

What you fail to understand or appreciate is that without dedicated employees, you have no company.
Ty, I'm sorry you lost out at MDW. Now don't be getting your hopes up too high that a liquidation of UAIR in the near future will help AAI out.:)

Last edited:
lowcur,

From the latest USAir management statement:

"U.S. Airways did not think the high volume of sick calls at Christmas was organized, Kudwa said."

Nuff said.

Mike

Cappy said:
lowcur,

From the latest USAir management statement:

"U.S. Airways did not think the high volume of sick calls at Christmas was organized, Kudwa said."

Nuff said.

Mike
Nice spin, but the NTA will determine otherwise. You will see "report to work" orders issued by the judge in the next day or so. 29 flts cancelled today with consolidation of pax on other flts. IAM and FA heads will role.

Lower: Perhaps you should READ the post before you quote it. The point that Cappy was trying to make was that if management doesn't think the action was planned then they really are too stupid to be "running" an airline.

Cappy: Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

FJ

Lowcur,

what you do not see is what is actually going on inside U. Talk to some of the pilots still there. From what they saw, When Philly was desintegrating on friday, no one could find a single managment type on the property. The base manager was AWOL. As one Captain put it "there were only foot soldiers present, no officers to be seen anywhere"

Another Captain has been buying ice and cokes out of his own pocket to have the aircraft stocked, Apparantly catering has been AWOL in PHL for about 2 weeks.

Management has pulled the staffing so far down in all departments that when things started going south there was no stopping it.

Don't know about the F/A situation, but the number I heard was 180 or so called in sick........which is normal for the F/a's at christmas from what I remember. I do not think I ever flew a Christmas trip with the scheduled F/A's. Always had a couple of reserves called out to fill in for sick calls. Normally the Captain and myself were the only originally scheduled crew on Christmas eve. Maybe it was just the trips I was on.

As for the sick outs being fired? I do not think they really care anymore.

At one time that was a great airline. The trip down the toilet started in the late 80's and a constant flow of sorry a$$ managment since then has only speeded it on its way to the big flush.

lowecur said:
This is absolutely outrageous!:mad: I have e-mailed Storm'n Norman Mineta, and demanded the BK judge give UAIR the right to fire these employees. The airline should be allowed by the BK judge to demand employees report to work for an examination by an RN. Those employees too sick to report would have to report that to their supervisor, who then would have RN's sent to their house for examination. Those too sick to work would be sent home, and those who are examined at home and no illness sick enough to keep them from driving should receive a letter of termination. Most of the employees calling in sick are probably at the hubs. This would not be a hard task to complete. Since the Unions have not acknowledged this as a job action, these employees would have a difficult time getting their jobs back.
lowecur, You enjoy yanking the chain, don't ya?

The airline already has the right to fire these people. The union might fight to get the job back, but they can't stop the firing.

enigma

Latest resources

Back