• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways jumpseat question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It not fun to get bumped. Sorry it happened. It's worse when an other airline person gets bumped for weight and balance but a mainline US Airways person stays in the other jumpseat. Awkward but just how it works. Agents always ask why we list for jumpseat with open seats in the back, this is why, we are guaranteed to stay on with the jumpseat listing.

It not fun to get bumped. Sorry it happened. It's worse when an other airline person gets bumped for weight and balance but a mainline US Airways person stays in the other jumpseat. Awkward but just how it works. Agents always ask why we list for jumpseat with open seats in the back, this is why, we are guaranteed to stay on with the jumpseat listing.

So you think that OAL pilots should be able to bump revenue pax and/or freight?? It's not awkward, worse, or anything else...it is just the way it works.

By contract, USAir pilots on flight deck jump seat are part of the BOW. OAL jumpseaters are not. Thus USAir pilots can make it to work (or back home, or vacation destination.)

By contract, USAir pilots on flight deck jump seat are part of the BOW. OAL jumpseaters are not. Thus USAir pilots can make it to work (or back home, or vacation destination.)
Same at UAL. I think this is industry standard at the majors/legacies.

Same at UAL. I think this is industry standard at the majors/legacies.

Not at Southwest. Only the working crew is part of the Operating Weight. Jumpseaters get bumped for weight now and again, usually on -300s at higher altitude airports in the summer. Doesn't matter who you work for.

If company jumpseaters are considered as "BOW" at USAir, does that mean that the plane's certificated Operating Weight always includes the weight of one or two jumpseaters? Even when they're not there? I didn't know you could change the Basic Operating Weight of a particular aircraft from flight to flight.

Bubba

I don't believe the jumpseaters are considered part of the BOW. However, if it is a USAirways pilot wanting to occupy the jumpseat, the FOM says they take priority over all revenue passengers and cargo. So they will go no matter what. And actually the FA's have the same agreement. A jumpseating FA has priority over all passengers and cargo so they will go no matter what as well. The FOM clearly defines this. Even if a US Airways pilot shows up at the last minute, they will be allowed on, but load control MUST be notified as it will affect the W/B. So that suggests they are not included in the BOW, but if they are company crewmembers, they will get on, even if it means bumping revenue passengers or cargo...

Last edited:
Sorry if I started something. I appreciate the 99% of times y'all do get me home. I wish all airlines had this practice. We all know FAA standard weights are a crock any way as far as accuracy.

Latest resources

Back