• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Jul 16 recall class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually i'm trying to rationalize staying here because it is clearly better for my family, when what I truly want if I were self-centered, and cared nothing about my family would be to go back there and fly 4-day trips.

Going from 121 to corporate is hard. Airline folks are not terribly popular in the eyes of corporate chief pilots.

Going from 121 to corporate twice if I were furloughed by USAir again, is probably not possible.
(speaking of Fortune 500 corporate, not charter)

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll continue to participate on the thread and let you know what we decide.

Actually i'm trying to rationalize staying here because it is clearly better for my family, when what I truly want if I were self-centered, and cared nothing about my family would be to go back there and fly 4-day trips.

Going from 121 to corporate is hard. Airline folks are not terribly popular in the eyes of corporate chief pilots.

Going from 121 to corporate twice if I were furloughed by USAir again, is probably not possible.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll continue to participate on the thread and let you know what we decide.

Mike it is a tough decision. If I could get a job flying a piper tomahawk that paid $100,000 a year I would quit.
Just keep in mind this is not the USAIR we worked for before. The reserve system on the east stinks. You must touch holiday and weekend trips now with the bid sheet. Medical coverage is lacking. Pay stinks and you don't get those high quality crew meals on the East.

Moral is low and employees are pissed.

Now for the bright side. The place is making money. If we can get past the seniority issue we have a chance to gain in the compensation area. I have zero doubt that a new merger is in the works. So this could end up being something bigger and better or just a bigger mess.

If your heart is truly with USAIR go for it.

Jeff Z

Thanks Jeff. I'm 90% sure i'm going to stay where i'm at -- just want to make sure I look at it from all of the angles.

It s a tough call, but it is ultimately up to you.

I will miss seeing you stir the pot at union meetings if you don't return. LOL

I am not taking my East recall due to the fact I am currently a rookie, backpack, inexperienced pilot on the West side.:eek:

Even if i'm gone, Courtney B. will be back after his hold at PSA is up. I trust Courtney to be at EVERY union meeting trying to wade through the muck and make sure the junior folks don't get screwed.

Thanks for the kind words though

Last edited:

I gotta admit I've been expecting that you will go back, even if it's questionable intellectually, because your heart is clearly there. The mind can often only rationalize away some of what the heart feels.

I do think you're right on wrt the corporate opportunities. Whoever said there's always a corporate job looking for an airline pilot is way off base if my corporate search is any indication. I'm sure you probably could find something again, but probably not nearly as stable and family friendly as what you have now.

Good luck!

I am really having a hard time figuring out how you think retiring from a career flying a 17,000 lb Lear around for a living can be construed as a failure. PHXFLYR:cool:

I know exactly what he means, though I'm not quite as inflicted with the BJS (Big Jet Syndrome) as he seems to be. I have no problem flying a RJ, or a PC12 for that matter, but I'm tired of not commanding a decent wage and it feels a lot like failure.

I think the problem is that we all started our careers with intensity and sacrificed a lot, we have been extremely driven, to achieve a particular dream. It's not in our nature to just let it drop easily, and right or wrong there are definitely many second guessings and feelings of failure on at least some level. For me personally, not going back would mean throwing in the towel on not only being a major airline pilot (which really isn't that important to me now), but moreso on sticking with it and not letting this beat me. If I don't go back to LCC I probably won't progress anywhere else (as I have limited my options severely in order to do what's best for my family) so it becomes a bit of an unwelcome acquiescence. Additionally, it would mean accepting that we will probably always struggle with money (I'm just not "that guy" who can get into other ventures/jobs/networks and rebound effortlessly), which in turn means I give up many other significant dreams for my family as well. It's kind of a snowball effect in my mind. So even though we know that we're not losers for doing the overall best thing for our families, it sure feels like abandonment and failure at a deep level stemming back to the days when the world was our oyster and we would not be denied.

Sorry for the melodrama; it helps to vent ;).

I do think you're right on wrt the corporate opportunities. Whoever said there's always a corporate job looking for an airline pilot is way off base if my corporate search is any indication.
Good luck!

Absent a rock-solid inside connection, my experience has been that you have a better chance of flying the space shuttle. Unlike what I read elsewhere on this board, there are not "always lear jobs out there" - rather "Please note in the body of your email the date of your last Lear PC" is the order of the day. A320/737 pilots need not apply.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back