• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The more things change, the more they stay the same. In late 90s I had a saying, the quickest way to offend a friend is offer to help him get on at America West. Here we are today, and it's the same damn thing. I give up, your on your own whoever you are.

Don't take this wrong all you UsAir and AWA folks, but to the newcomer...why? The pay is terrible, upgrades pretty darn long, and Parker will just keep merging airlines, thus keeping a pilot contract way, WAY off on the horizon. He loves the infighting. He has a weasel and a cobra fighting in the tank and is about to throw in another animal. You might as well go to a "good" regional.

According to Parker/Kirby, Day one after the merger all pilots will be on the AMR payscale. Upgrades should be some of the quickest in the industry with retirements. Have you looked at massive amount of aircraft on order at AA/US? This will be the last notable airline merger for quite sometime possibly our careers. It all actually represents an incredible opportunity for those fortunate enough to get on at the beginning of this retirement bubble.

What exactly is a good regional? Regionals are too dependent upon contracts from their major counterparts. If your "good" regional loses a contract you hit the street. At least, that is one problem you wont have at the major level.

According to Parker/Kirby, Day one after the merger all pilots will be on the AMR payscale. Upgrades should be some of the quickest in the industry with retirements. Have you looked at massive amount of aircraft on order at AA/US? This will be the last notable airline merger for quite sometime possibly our careers. It all actually represents an incredible opportunity for those fortunate enough to get on at the beginning of this retirement bubble.

What exactly is a good regional? Regionals are too dependent upon contracts from their major counterparts. If your "good" regional loses a contract you hit the street. At least, that is one problem you wont have at the major level.

I don't believe a thing out of Parkers mouth. But if that is all true, well go for it. You may win.

Due to the vicissitudes of the industry, today's scorned upon position is often tomorrow's sweet spot, and vice versa. Study a little history and draw your own conclusions.

Don't take this wrong all you UsAir and AWA folks, but to the newcomer...why? The pay is terrible, upgrades pretty darn long, and Parker will just keep merging airlines, thus keeping a pilot contract way, WAY off on the horizon. He loves the infighting. He has a weasel and a cobra fighting in the tank and is about to throw in another animal. You might as well go to a "good" regional.

This is one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever read. There is no such thing as a "good" regional. I remember when Comair was considered good. There are only those who haven't went through the whipping cycle yet. The worst major will ALWAYS be better than the worst regional in the long run. Once you get to one you'll understand..

This is one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever read. There is no such thing as a "good" regional. I remember when Comair was considered good. There are only those who haven't went through the whipping cycle yet. The worst major will ALWAYS be better than the worst regional in the long run. Once you get to one you'll understand..

Spot on, couldn't a said it better myself!

Everyone's situation is unique. But facts are facts. Good regionals have come and gone. US has stuck around. It hasn't been a great place to work for some, especially late-90's hires, but it has hung on and is in position to be a GREAT place to work.
Regionals work for some, but for the most part, all of the reasons I heard NOT to go from a regional to US have turned out to be falsehoods.
The old saying, the worst day at a major is better than the best day at a regional, has held true for me. But like I said, everyone's situation is different. I myself was so tire of 4-day trips and 95 hour lines, so my live-in-base reserve life, flying about 20-30 hours a month with very few overnights is a welcome respite!

To each his own, but my personal advice is to save your money while at a regional so you can afford to make the jump. Apply, interview, then decide yes or no once you have the offer. Until then, it's not up to you!

Everyone's situation is unique. But facts are facts. Good regionals have come and gone. US has stuck around. It hasn't been a great place to work for some, especially late-90's hires, but it has hung on and is in position to be a GREAT place to work.
Regionals work for some, but for the most part, all of the reasons I heard NOT to go from a regional to US have turned out to be falsehoods.
The old saying, the worst day at a major is better than the best day at a regional, has held true for me. But like I said, everyone's situation is different. I myself was so tire of 4-day trips and 95 hour lines, so my live-in-base reserve life, flying about 20-30 hours a month with very few overnights is a welcome respite!

To each his own, but my personal advice is to save your money while at a regional so you can afford to make the jump. Apply, interview, then decide yes or no once you have the offer. Until then, it's not up to you!

Amen. I'll add that if you were a lucky guy like me and got your TPIC young, a jump to a place like US is a no brainer. People still have to retire.

Anybody who thinks staying at a modern regional is a good career choice has to be in the top 10% of their regional's seniority list or completely insane.

Due to the vicissitudes of the industry, today's scorned upon position is often tomorrow's sweet spot, and vice versa. Study a little history and draw your own conclusions.

"vicissitudes"? What is this....PPRUNE.org?:D

(I agree with the message though)

Ya ACA was a great regional and US Airways is a really good example of a bad example but I think times are changing and this place may actually become better...I really freakin hope so cause this is my last flying job.

Latest resources

Back