US Airways considers cutting its E-190 fleet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think DAL is interested in them for mainline

Unless this is a mega deal where we give Republic Compass's -175s and replace them with LCC's 190's.

This would actually make sense . Why have two different types of 70 seaters?

The -175 doesn't seem like a very economical aircraft.

If they are toying around with the idea of bringing Compass to Mainline to mitigate the mess of flow up/flow down in the event of a furlough they might as well be flying equipment that makes sense.

But then again Republic has stated they are getting more 190's...why would they settle with just 2.

So maybe Republic takes their current 175's and swaps them out for 190's. Delta then takes the 175's (there is a debate that Delta has already paid to get some of Republic's -175's certificated to a higher weight that was previously scope restricted) adds them to Compass's fleet and then staples Compass to mainline to both get out of the cap on 70 seaters and also make their lives easier if the furloughs start a year from now. That makes sense as well.

Again...this is going to get ugly.

Last edited:
fffffffffffffff

Ted Reed – TheStreet.com
First of all if you’re going to take out 190’s, you haven’t factored in those employment reductions yet so there would be reductions in employment if that occurred wouldn’t there.
Doug Parker
Yes, if that occurred.
Ted Reed – TheStreet.com
So you would be announcing those next week.
Doug Parker
No, seriously, I know you’re kidding but we’re not announcing on the 190’s other than the fact that we have let people know that that’s an aircraft that we could reduce and we’re looking at doing so. But the last thing I want to do is get employees anxious about further job reductions and that’s not what we’re announcing by any means. All we’re announcing is that these are, and given that the environment is still where it is, this is the kind of things that we need to look at. And we will look at it over time as we’re doing right now.
Ted Reed – TheStreet.com
These aircraft are very popular with passengers, aren’t they, the 190’s, so that’s a diminishment.

Scott Kirby
So are Airbus A320’s and 321’s and I think we fly efficient, well rounded fleet.
[Bram Resnick] – KPNX TV
And regarding employment looking ahead, how comfortable are you with your headcount right now do you see any layoffs down the road as the environment continues to worsen.
Scott Kirby
We just announced furloughs, we think we’re at the right level now. We tried to hold off on that as long as possible. We’ve been running over staffed for quite a period of time and eventually decided we had to do that. We were disappointed that we had to do that, we did as much of that as we could through voluntary programs. And at the moment don’t anticipate anything new coming in the near-term.
[Bram Resnick] – KPNX TV
Near-term, would that be through the end of the year.
Scott Kirby
We don’t have any plans for more furloughs so, yes that could change of course but we don’t have any plans for more furloughs.

Doug Parker
I think you know this, those furloughs that ended up happening last week were largely a result of capacity pull downs months ago so that we tried to hold on, thought we’d be able to through normal attrition have people choose just to leave but in today’s economy we’re not seeing attrition rates reach anything that we did, so we had to do that so at any rate, those were the result of a decision long ago. We don’t have any current decision pending that would further reduce capacity with the one possible exception on this E190 issue which is, I feel like I’m making a bigger issue that it should, but on the other hand, anyway that is a fleet type that we may be able to reduce if we need to reduce flying further.
So we’re going to look at that but I don’t want, once again I’m going to reiterate because its so sensitive to our employees, that by no means are we announcing that we’re doing that. We’re simply announcing that it’s the kind of thing that we need to look at in this environment. If we do that and when we do that, at that time there may indeed be the need for further employee reductions but that is nothing close to a decision that we’ve made thus far.
[Bram Resnick] – KPNX TV
Just to clarify you’re saying it’s the kind of thing we might need to look at, I thought I heard Scott saying earlier it is something you are looking at now.

Doug Parker

Okay fair enough, it’s the kind of thing we need to look at in this environment, it may not be a decision we choose to make in this environment.

Well I guess if the 190 fleet goes that would mean 275 less Eastholes! That means 275 less no votes on a CBA. I never thought that a reduction would sound so good. MCDU in 5 4 3 2 1 ........

Wow. Doug Parker, CEO.

Was he drunk?

Well I guess if the 190 fleet goes that would mean 275 less Eastholes! That means 275 less no votes on a CBA. I never thought that a reduction would sound so good. MCDU in 5 4 3 2 1 ........

That's just great--you getting your jollies out of more people getting thrown to the street and making those that are already out be out of work even longer. You're a real prince.

Abefly:

Maybe we should pull down LAS some more too

Latest resources

Back