• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyinPiker

Incon-fricking-spicuous
US Airways considers cutting its E-190 fleet
By Lori Ranson

Management at US Airways has launched an evaluation of elimination its fleet of 25 Embraer E-190s through direct sales or subleases.
Today during an earnings call with analysts and investors carrier President Scott Kirby said the fleet represents roughly 2.5% of total consolidated capacity at US Airways, and cutting the fleet would give the carrier additional flexibility to reduce its available seat miles.
Kirby also explains the E-Jet represent a small sub-fleet whose elimination could also create operational gains for the carrier. The aircraft are also in demand globally, so US Airways believes getting rid of the E-Jets is something the carrier "can effectively implement from a financial perspective", says Kirby.
US Airways owns the 25 aircraft, and company chief executive Doug Parker stresses the potential cutting of E-Jets from its fleet is not to raise liquidity, but to enhance long-term profitability.
In August 2005 US Airways issued a request for proposal to regional partners Air Wisconsin, Mesa Air Group and Republic Airways Holdings to operate up to 25 E-190s once it merged with America West.
But after mainline pilot protests a transition deal was ratified by America West and US Airways pilots to limit E-190 flying to mainline operations.

Well I guess this answers where Republic could magically get 190's for their Midwest operation.

The whole 190's replacing 717's without actual orders for them looked suspect from the beginning.

This is going to get ugly.

Well I guess this answers where Republic could magically get 190's for their Midwest operation.

The whole 190's replacing 717's without actual orders for them looked suspect from the beginning.

This is going to get ugly.

My thoughts exactly.

At least it appears to me that Airways will eliminate the 190 all together, not subcontract the planes out and have them flown for Airways by someone else.

I think DAL is interested in them for mainline

Don't see it happening.

I don't think we need these aircraft right now.

They are saying the smaller 9's are good for a few more years and long term they are happy with the -50's and MD-80/90.

If we got 25 of them then we'd be committing ourselves to get a lot more.

I think they want to wait on committing themselves to a new 100 seater, at least for now. The growth we need right now is for larger aircraft.

This smells too much like Republic.

Especially since they have publicly stated they are getting more 190's, but not said a word about where they are coming from.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back