• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways considers cutting its E-190 fleet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I find it very interesting that US Airways is talking about eliminating the EMB-190 from its fleet. The interesting thing is JetBlue just raised the bar for this aircraft with their new pay rates. Compare the JetBlue EMB-190 pay rates to the US Airways EMB-190 pay rates. JetBlue has raised the bar on the EMB-190 to a respectable mainline pay rate.

Maybe the truth is Doug Parker, you don't want to pay your pilots an honest fair pay rate for flying the EMB-190. The easy way out is to get rid of the aircraft. How sad this industry has become. Doug Parker is the worst of all snakes!

Abefly:

Maybe we should pull down LAS some more too

Im sorry but they can't do that because of an agreement they entered into with alpa back in 2005 called a transition agreement. Maybe you have heard of it? They are already at minimum fleet size for everything but the E190's.

There are plenty of kids in the regionals who will jump all over that flying , and do it for peanuts.

I thought some of the E-190s were going to PHX to replace some of the Mesa CRJs?
Is this still going to happen?

Well I guess if the 190 fleet goes that would mean 275 less Eastholes! That means 275 less no votes on a CBA. I never thought that a reduction would sound so good. MCDU in 5 4 3 2 1 ........

I certainly understand the frustration that would lead you to posting this although I suspect it was more a jab then a serious comment. Unfortunately, since we are one big happy family (choking back a little vomit) what's bad for the Easties is bad for the West as well. Outsourcing flying in ANY domicile hurts all of us. Furthermore, I had hoped to see an INCREASE in 190 flying as a means to take over the CRJ900 work in Phoenix but always feared the company would try to use it as a replacement for the aged 737s. I wonder how the brain trust at USAPA will respond. So far they seem more than willing to throw the 190 pilots under the 'Bus (of the A330 variety).

They only have 1 more 190 publicly known on the way

OST-2003-14579 - Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity -

Interstate Scheduled Passenger
Republic Airline, Inc.
20-Jul-2009

Re: Notification of Aircraft Usage and Request for Elimination of Notification Requirement

Pursuant to Order 2007-11-27, Republic Airline Inc. hereby notifies the Department of its intention to operate more than 75 large aircraft, and requests that the Department eliminate the notification requirement in its entirety regarding the number of aircraft that Republic is authorized to operate.
With its current fleet of 70 regional jet aircraft (Embraer 170s and Embraer 175s), Republic operates scheduled interstate service pursuant to fee-for-service agreements with certain major carriers.
Republic needs to increase the number of aircraft above 75 to meet its near-term operational commitments. Its expansion plans include the addition of Embraer 190 aircraft. Republic expects that it will exceed 75 aircraft on or about 01-Oct-2009.

FYI: Large aircraft means any aircraft designed to have a maximum passenger capacity of more than 60 seats.

Last edited:
I find it very interesting that US Airways is talking about eliminating the EMB-190 from its fleet. The interesting thing is JetBlue just raised the bar for this aircraft with their new pay rates. Compare the JetBlue EMB-190 pay rates to the US Airways EMB-190 pay rates. JetBlue has raised the bar on the EMB-190 to a respectable mainline pay rate.

Maybe the truth is Doug Parker, you don't want to pay your pilots an honest fair pay rate for flying the EMB-190. The easy way out is to get rid of the aircraft. How sad this industry has become. Doug Parker is the worst of all snakes!

I think it has everything to do with them needing to raise capital.

OST-2003-14579 - Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity -

Interstate Scheduled Passenger
Republic Airline, Inc.
20-Jul-2009

Re: Notification of Aircraft Usage and Request for Elimination of Notification Requirement

Pursuant to Order 2007-11-27, Republic Airline Inc. hereby notifies the Department of its intention to operate more than 75 large aircraft, and requests that the Department eliminate the notification requirement in its entirety regarding the number of aircraft that Republic is authorized to operate.
With its current fleet of 70 regional jet aircraft (Embraer 170s and Embraer 175s), Republic operates scheduled interstate service pursuant to fee-for-service agreements with certain major carriers.
Republic needs to increase the number of aircraft above 75 to meet its near-term operational commitments. Its expansion plans include the addition of Embraer 190 aircraft. Republic expects that it will exceed 75 aircraft on or about 01-Oct-2009.

FYI: Large aircraft means any aircraft designed to have a maximum passenger capacity of more than 60 seats.

So they will get a minimum of 5 more aircraft per this document, could be 190's or 170/5's.

There are plenty of kids in the regionals who will jump all over that flying , and do it for peanuts.

But remember when you say this that Major Airline pilots give scope away, regionals don't take it, they accept it. There may be dire reasons for scope losses(bk) but its still is a decision made by the major, not the regional. I hope more of us relize this on our next contract.

Could be a Frontier Bus/ USAir 190 swap

Somebody on another board brought up a good point.

I could see cash + some buses (or maybe All buses) for all 25 190's.

Frontier has 10 A-318's. I'm sure Bedford would love to get rid of those and run the E-190 instead. It would be a small fleet for Airways, but if engines/parts/etc are all the same it wouldn't really matter.

It would also follow his statements about simplifying the fleet.

All of this could be just be waiting on the acquisition of Frontier to go through in August.

Latest resources

Back