Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jackotron

Man, Myth
I would seriously like some info if I should a NASA form or not.

Last week I rented a Piper Warrior that’s electric fuel pump was in-op. I was unaware of this at the time. I thought that it was just quiet. I was planning to rent the same aircraft for tomorrow, and then they informed me that the fuel pump was in-op (news to me of course). I picked up the POH and found that the electric fuel pump is required equipment. Obviously my flight tomorrow is canceled.

But my question is about the flight I made last week. I flew it thinking it was airworthy, but it was not. Should I file a NASA? Should I report the company?

Thanks guys,

Jack

as far as you knew last week everything was working fine, nothing illegal or intentionally wrong with that, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Reporting the fbo is up to you, did they know the pump was inop when they rented it to you? Only problem would be if it was written up in a discrepency log prior to your flight and you did not check the log. I wouldn't report them either way.

jackotron said:
I was planning to rent the same aircraft for tomorrow, and then they informed me that the fuel pump was in-op (news to me of course).

You KNOW the pump is inop now, you THOUGHT it was OK then. How do you now arrive at the conclusion that it was INOP then? Seems to me you might be jumping to a conclusion.

I wouldn't sweat it.

There is no limit to the number of NASA forms you can fill out. Any time something concerns you, you can fill one out. However, there is a limit to the number of times a NASA form can protect you from certificate action. I'm pretty sure it is once every three years, but I don't have one in front of me right now, so I can't say for sure.

As far as your specific case, when did the company find out about the problem, and how? SHOULD you have known in some way that the pump was inop? Is there any kind of check before starting the engine, i.e. looking for a fuel pressure rise? What about documentation in the airplane? Is there a "squawk sheet" that you forgot to read?

Realistically, the chance of the feds getting a hold of this one are close to nil. There was no emergency, and unless there was a fed waiting to check the aircraft when you returned it, there is virtually no evidence that it was inop when you flew it.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this, just chalk it up to experience and move on.

LAXSaabdude.

If I were you I would go ahead and file the NASA form that anyhow. That way your name is in the pool for future space shuttle missions.

dalegribble said:
as far as you knew last week everything was working fine, nothing illegal or intentionally wrong with that, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Reporting the fbo is up to you, did they know the pump was inop when they rented it to you? Only problem would be if it was written up in a discrepency log prior to your flight and you did not check the log. I wouldn't report them either way.
He beat me to it.... Take the above advice and information. No reason to file the Nasa form in the instance, atleast I wouldn't if I was in your position.

3 5 0

I wouldn't fill one out but thats me personally.

If you didn't know it was inop, you did nothing wrong. You only found out a week or so later. For all you know, it may have been working when you took off.

You did nothing wrong, thus no NASA form is required.

Happy New Year.

jackotron said:
I would seriously like some info if I should a NASA form or not.

Last week I rented a Piper Warrior that’s electric fuel pump was in-op. I was unaware of this at the time. I thought that it was just quiet. I was planning to rent the same aircraft for tomorrow, and then they informed me that the fuel pump was in-op (news to me of course). I picked up the POH and found that the electric fuel pump is required equipment. Obviously my flight tomorrow is canceled.

But my question is about the flight I made last week. I flew it thinking it was airworthy, but it was not. Should I file a NASA? Should I report the company?

Thanks guys,

Jack

Realistically, the chance of the feds getting a hold of this one are close to nil. There was no emergency, and unless there was a fed waiting to check the aircraft when you returned it, there is virtually no evidence that it was inop when you flew it.
This sums it up. No NASA form needed here. For all you know, it was working last week.

You guys are great.

I really appreciate all your help. It never occoured to me that the pump may have been working last week. I won't fly tomorrow, and I won't inquire about the problem any further.

I'll sleep alright tonight.

Thanks again!

Jack

Latest resources

Back