Urgent Action Required To Keep Age 60!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rudedog

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED TO KEEP AGE 60 AS IS!

Former, Current, and Future Airline Pilots:

As many of you know, the Federal government is considering changing the mandatory Age 60 retirement rule, FAR 121.383(c). If this rule is extended 3 to 5 years, it could result in an additional 3 to 5 years before recall for those on furlough, significantly delayed upgrades in equipment and/or position for those still flying, and substantial stagnation of future hiring for aspiring airline pilots.

Until NEXT MONDAY, 9/30/02, the FAA is seeking comments on an age 60 retirement exemption request by 10 pilots (ages 58-65) and their lawyer. We need as many of you as possible to voice your opposition to this proposed change at such a critical time in the airline industry!

The FAA is allowing online comments at http://dms.dot.gov/. The docket number for this petition is 12501. As of 9/25/02, there were 108 comments if favor of extending the retirement age and only 14 opposed. Please take the time to make your voice heard!

Remember, comments on petitions received must identify the petition docket number involved (12501) and must be received on or before September 30, 2002.

Thanks for your assistance,
Rudedog

1) For those who want the shortest path to submit a comment:

http://dmses.dot.gov/submit/ProcSubmission.asp

Enter the number 12501 in the fill-in field to the right of “Docket ID”.
Enter additional information as appropriate.
Submit your comment.

2) For registered users, who want to go directly to the submission page:

http://dmses.dot.gov/submit/

Enter “User Id” and “Password” and click “Continue” or click “Continue” if not registered.
Enter 12501 in the fill-in field to the right of “Docket ID”.
Enter additional information as appropriate.
Submit your comment.

3) If you wish to read the petition from the 10 pilots (ages 58-65) and their lawyer, the Federal Register Publication or other comments posted, before submitting a comment:

http://dms.dot.gov/

Click on “Simple Search”.
Enter the number 12501 in the fill-in field.
Then click “Search”.

Petitions for Exemption; Summary of
Petitions Received
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), DOT.
ACTION: Notice of petitions for exemption received.
SUMMARY: Pursuant to FAA’s rulemaking provisions governing the application, processing, and disposition of petitions for exemption part 11 of Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR), this notice contains a summary of certain petitions seeking relief from specified requirements of 14 CFR. The purpose of this notice is to improve the public’s awareness of, and participation in, this aspect of FAA’s regulatory activities. Neither publication of this notice nor the inclusion or omission of information in the summary is intended to affect the legal status of any petition or its final disposition.
DATES: Comments on petitions received must identify the petition docket number involved and must be received on or before September 30, 2002.
ADDRESSES: Send comments on any petition to the Docket Management System, U.S. Department of Transportation, Room Plaza 401, 400 Seventh Street, SW., Washington, DC
20590–0001. You must identify the docket number FAA–2000–XXXX at the beginning of your comments. If you wish to receive confirmation that FAA received your comments, include a self-addressed, stamped postcard.You may also submit comments through the Internet to http://
dms.dot.gov. You may review the public docket containing the petition, any comments received, and any final disposition in person in the Dockets Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. The Dockets Office (telephone 1–800–647–5527) is on the plaza level of the NASSIF Building at the Department of Transportation at the above address. Also, you may review public dockets on the Internet at http://dms.dot.gov.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Denise Emrick (202) 267–5174, Office of Rulemaking (ARM–1), Federal Aviation Administration, 800 Independence Avenue, SW., Washington, DC 20591. This notice is published pursuant to 14 CFR 11.85 and 11.91.
Docket No.: FAA–2002–12501. Petitioner: Mr. Anthony P. X. Bothwell, Attorney for ten petitioners. Section of 14 CFR Affected: 14 CFR 121.383(c).
Description of Relief Sought: To permit ten petitioners to act as pilots in operations conducted under part 121 after reaching their 60th birthdays.
[FR Doc. 02–22944 Filed 9–9–02; 8:45 am] BILLING CODE 4910–13–M

What the h**l does majority/minority have to do with it? I thought age 60 retirement was supposed to have something to do with medical issues, not advancement opportunities for FO's!

tdvalve said:
What the h**l does majority/minority have to do with it? I thought age 60 retirement was supposed to have something to do with medical issues, not advancement opportunities for FO's!

It is about safety. Its hard enough to baby sit a 59 year old on a four day trip, I can't imagine trying to watch a 64 year old. Face it, as you get older you slow down, mentally and physically. Can a select few do ok older than 60? Probably, but then, a select few can probably drive younger than 16. A select few is not the point though. Any age limit is arbitrary, but sometimes we have to weigh the risks of the society as a whole against the benefits that a few might recieve.

"It is about safety. Its hard enough to baby sit a 59 year old on a four day trip, I can't imagine trying to watch a 64 year old. Face it, as you get older you slow down, mentally and physically. Can a select few do ok older than 60? Probably, but then, a select few can probably drive younger than 16. A select few is not the point though. Any age limit is arbitrary, but sometimes we have to weigh the risks of the society as a whole against the benefits that a few might recieve."

And you do have data to support this? Personally, I think the max age ought to be 40. You guys and your "concern for safety" are too funny. A 50-year old discrinination practice is in danger of being overturned and the beneficiaries are going ballistic. Too bad Al Haynes didn't have your babysitting service!

rudedog, thanks for the info. I took the time to email the FAA and am also getting in touch with my representatives in D.C. If you need some ammo for your email ask the FAA to look into the number of sick days over 60 flight engineers need. I have to believe the majority of Americans (I'm sure most nonpilots aren't aware of this battle) would want 60 to be the date.

I can't believe all of you out there are trying to make this a safety issue. You are pathetic! Corporate aviation has the best safety record in the country, and corporate aviation has the highest number of over 60 pilots. I am sorry but your so called safety argument has more holes than a spaghetti strainer. Baby sitting a 59 year old pilot!?! How about babysitting a middleaged whiner. Would you like some cheese and crackers with that whine. You might say oh well this guy is probably 59, wrong I am thirty one, an FO at a regional and if a guy can pass his physical and his PC let him work period. I am sure there are older pilots that you might have to babysit but there are plenty of younger ones who need to spoonfed just the same.

P.S. to skykid,
I think your post should read how many sick days over 60 engineers USE, not how many they need, there is a difference. Have you ever called in sick or know someone who has called in sick when they might not have been really ill. If you had several hundred hours of sick time built up you might be tempted to use some of it, after all you can't take it with you.

chuck yeager still flys fighters at Edwards. he must be in his 80's.

and bill anders flys his p-51 quite well.

and bob hoover finally got his medical back.

all you young guys will be singin a different tune when your on your 3rd wife (trophy wife), and your 52 and changing diapers (wink).

Latest resources

Back