• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPT Scandal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember getting the gouge during the very first week of UPT. Back then, we called it the "Dash One."

:rolleyes:

Huggyu2 said:
TalonDriver,
This happened during T-38 phase, right? Also, you mentioned the IP getting pulled from IFF. I take it he left Columbus before all this got discovered, and they clipped him at Moody?

The charges occured in phase three (T-38/T-1s) but the buffoonery happened in tweets. Apparently, students from other classes got their hands a little dirty but no charges were brought on them. It did prevent some of those students from FAIP assignments. Oh well. It would frustrate some if I said what one student got for an assignment.

The IP (FAIP) was going through IFF when the charges were slapped on him. He's back awaiting punishment.

UPT and all USAF course are based on a foundation of gouge. The USAF is sooooo hypocritical when it comes to this. Every course I have ever taken, and it's been alot, have started with comments from the instructors which went like this, " I just want to tell you that this course and all the tests haven't changed in five years" followed by the sounds of foot stomping.

Usually the people who complain the loudest about gouge are the ones who can't cope in the cockpit. The cockpit is the place where your true abilities come out. Not some test that was designed to test your test taking abilities. How many time do you see pilots who can spit back anything you tell them and shack every test they take but then can't figure out a holding entry?

If there is more to this story than so be it, but if this was just about "cheating" on an EPQ than its wrong.

My two cents.

CLAMBAKE

Last edited:
bozt45:

Wow. When I was OCONUS(Out of Continental U.S.) in the USMC (United States Marine Corps) over in WESTPAC (Western Pacific Theater of Operations), we took NATOPS (Naval Air Training and Operations Standardization) tests WAB. The CO (Commanding Officer) never asked my RIO (Radar Intercept Officer) if that was A-OK, so WTF (What The F--K)!

BAMCIS -Begin the planning, Arrange the recon, Make the recon, Complete the planning, Supervise No "I"
FOCPIG-Fire, Observed, Concealed, Protected, Integrated, non Geometric
SMEAC-Situation, Mission, Execution, Administration and logistics, Command and Signal)
BOHICA-Bend Over, Here It Comes Again
FIGMAC-????????

Not bad! The bubbas at TBS would be proud of you.

The one's you missed:

"WAB"= With a buddy. The rule in our squadron was you never flew without a wingman...cross-country, airshow, divert, etc.
"FOCPIG" = you were close. It's the principles for a defensive position: Fields of Fire, Obstacles, Concealment...
"FIGMAC" = F**K it...Got My Air Contract! (frequently heard during land nav at TBS)
"BAMCIS" = The "I" is for "Issue the order"

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
pkober said:
UPT and all USAF course are based on a foundation of gouge. The USAF is sooooo hypocritical when it comes to this. Every course I have ever taken, and it's been alot, have started with comments from the instructors which went like this, " I just want to tell you that this course and all the tests haven't changed in five years" followed by the sounds of foot stomping. CLAMBAKE

You're right. We've all used gouges. But we never wanted to know where/whom/what or how it was compiled. I think these people (especially the IP accused) crossed that line between using a gouge or verbal intel from senior classes and blatant stealing of controlled items (AETC's equivalent to selling classified stuff). When you cross that line, the wing leadership has no choice but to throw the book.

the extra mile

Gouge, it was good.

We went the extra mile and put a baby monitor in the IP room. Every morning they would go in there and lock the door. They would talk about the students as well as discuss that mornings "standup". They would discuss who would be selected that morning giving the individual about 10 minutes worth of excellent real time intel to get ahead of the battle.

All was well until the selected student was reading the exact page in his dash 1 when and instructor walked by. They got suspiscious and the next morning they all bolted from the IP room to find us huddled around a baby receiver producing nothing but static.

We were in trouble and we got our pee pees wacked, but the instructors all said on the side that they were quite impressed with our tactics.

I hope these guys survive.

Goose17

At least they came out of the room. Ours, after deciding the weather was not going to let us fly, bolted for breakfast burritos. It took about 10 minutes before we sent someone to check on them.

Goose17 said:
Gouge, it was good.

We went the extra mile and put a baby monitor in the IP room. Every morning they would go in there and lock the door. They would talk about the students as well as discuss that mornings "standup". They would discuss who would be selected that morning giving the individual about 10 minutes worth of excellent real time intel to get ahead of the battle.

All was well until the selected student was reading the exact page in his dash 1 when and instructor walked by. They got suspiscious and the next morning they all bolted from the IP room to find us huddled around a baby receiver producing nothing but static.

We were in trouble and we got our pee pees wacked, but the instructors all said on the side that they were quite impressed with our tactics.

I hope these guys survive.

Goose17

What a great class. Very impressive!!

While we don't know the whole story, I believe it is a bunch of garbage that students will be kicked out UPT and even worse the AF, over something like an EPQ. Totally pathetic. Good leadership, in my opinion, would take these Lts out back behind the hanger and give them a lesson. We should take better care of our own in the military. This is a key element of leadership.These kids deserve better. Emphasis kids.

...would feel if you knew that your captain had cheated his way through flight school...
I see what you're saying but that doesn't really apply. Cheating for a pilot would be having someone else fly your maneuvers. The weekly tests we're talking about are just a little "haze" AETC devised to add to the final grading criteria. When I went through our USEM in 38s wrote his own questions. The tests were not standardized and Friday afternoons were much better after you learned you passed the test. Apparently the tests are standardized command wide and getting an MQF would not be hard to do.

What student/IP relationship are we talking about? Was it dating each other? That would be bad. I wouldn't have allowed that in my flt.

CCDiscoB said:
What student/IP relationship are we talking about? Was it dating each other? That would be bad. I wouldn't have allowed that in my flt.

We'll know for sure about the specifics after his court martial next month.

A quote from one of our "ol' skool" fighter pilots about co-ed squadrons:

"Back in the old days, if two pilots were dating each other we called them f*ggots!!"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back