UPT Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Merlin'05

Is there anywhere I can find information that tells which SUPT bases have T-37s or T-6s and which are scheduled to transition in the next year?

I'm interested in a T-37 base.

I know Sheppard has T-37s and will for a while, but I have no chance to get an ENJJPT slot as well as having no desire. I know Moody and Randolph both have T-6s. I've done some searching on the net, but haven't been able to find anything that gives current or future information.

Thanks for any help.

Moody is a T-6 base.
Laughlin is all or nearly all T-6.
Vance will begin transitioning to the T-6 this year in the late spring or summer. I think the transition will take around 18 months - 2 years to complete.
Columbus follows Vance (Guesstimate of 2007).
Then Sheppard.

Thanks. Vance would be my first choice. I was hopping they would transition a little later. If I go to Vance, could I chose which I fly, or will they just put me in one or the other?

Not all that big of a deal, but I've wanted to fly T-37s for quite a while--might as well put that dream sheet to use.

You most likely will not get a choice of what you fly. Your class will fly whatever platform the AF assigns. Good Luck

To fly the Tweet, your best bet is Columbus. They won't start their transition until Vance is almost done. Excluding Sheppard, they are the last to transition. I disagree with ExAF on having a choice on where you attend UPT. When our assignments came out, most people received their first choice, and almost everyone at least got their second.

First of all: no desire to go to ENJJPT? What's wrong with you boy? It's the best training you'll ever have....for fighter guys.

Secondly: Your dream sheet includes a driving desire to fly a cessna made in the 50s that makes dogs howl for miles and smells like fifty years of vomit and JP8? I'm surpised the AF psychologists haven't caught up with you yet.

Third: Aren't all the SPS Tweets owned by the Luftwaffe? Do they actually have plans to replace them with T-6s too?

Dude, just be happy to go. Worrying about what you might fly in UPT is the least of your worries.

RJP said:
First of all: no desire to go to ENJJPT? What's wrong with you boy? It's the best training you'll ever have....for fighter guys.

Merlin'05: Be prepared to deal with this type of misinformed arrogance. Professionals can check their egos at the door.

RJP said:
Secondly: Your dream sheet includes a driving desire to fly a cessna made in the 50s that makes dogs howl for miles and smells like fifty years of vomit and JP8?

In their 45 years of operation, they've had far more Jet-A, Jet-A1, JP-4 and whatever else the FBO had than they'll ever have of JP-8. I doubt the fresh vomit in the T-6 smells any better.

RJP said:
Dude, just be happy to go. Worrying about what you might fly in UPT is the least of your worries.

I don't see worry. He's being asked to state his preferences, and he's trying to gather information to make intelligent choices. Have you ever been through that process, or does the fighter-pilot ego exclude that?

:)

Merlin'05: Good luck. The Tweet is a fun airplane.

Just out of curiosity, why would you choose Vance over Columbus?

Thanks for the help. I tried to go onto another forum, but got the same types of replies as RJP. Columbus will be choice number one now with Vance second. I had wanted Vance because I have family in the area--other than that, no real reason.

Yes, I know that the T-6 will get me more into the glass cockpit mindset. I don't think (and from very limited amounts of my own experence with glass cockpits), I have no problems with glass cockpits over the old guages I usually fly with--I actually find them much easier to use, they make more sense to me, and I can understand what's happening more than with the old stuff, especially in IFR situations. (remember, we're the video game generation...).

I just want to fly the Tweet and have for quite a while. I won't be disappointed though if I don't.

Thanks again for the responses.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back