Ups

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hyeflyin

I recently had a senior UPS captain (top 150 on seniority list) give me an online recommendation through the company. Just wondering how much weight will it carry even though we never have flown toghether. Would it be sufficient enough to get a shot for an interview? If so, how long should I wait before I ask him about the status of my app. Would appreciate the input. Thanks.

hyeflyin said:
I recently had a senior UPS captain (top 150 on seniority list) give me an online recommendation through the company. Just wondering how much weight will it carry even though we never have flown toghether. Would it be sufficient enough to get a shot for an interview? If so, how long should I wait before I ask him about the status of my app. Would appreciate the input. Thanks.

It should definitely carry some weight for a line pilot position and you should get an interview. For a management pilot position though, honestly, your going to need to network a little bit harder. Those positions are a lot more competitive then the line positions. You should be right in there for a line position with that rec. Good luck!!

UPS Line Position...

Haven't posted here in a long time - - But ....Uppercrust... YOU CRACK ME UP!!!

To original poster...

Do you seriously think that UPS management will put any credence in a line crewmembers opinion of a pilot that he has never flown with!?!?

Keep your hopes up though... But the reality is the market is too competitive for weak recommendations. Sorry to be brutally honest but I have walked into HR and they are looking for long term character references along with substantial documented performance in a flight leadership position. Now if you had several of the above type of references then - - Maybe.

Good luck...

So if I take him up flying and he checks off that he has flown with me, does that make my chances better?? For Capt TedStriker, you mentioned flight leadership position. Im most likely going to be a checkairman with our company next month. Is that what you mean by improving my chances? Thanks.

What Can Brown Do To You??

The current recommendation form (anthology) is very long. It asks questions that are very particular to a person that an "acquantance" wouldn't be able to fill out very strongly. For example - I turned a rec form in for someone I have known and flown with for a long time... It took me about an hour at the keyboard to fill out... In otherwords - - Yes he could fill in that he has flown with you.... but it would be weak.. IMHO that would be worse than a no recommendation at all.

Honestly-- Think about pursuing another avenue to the "show".... Life on this side of the pasture is not very clear right now. Our benevolent employer would rather barcode our gums like a horse than respect our professional abilities. Go somewhere there is a positive corporate culture... It goes a long way.. This place is just a J--- O--- B--- Period.!

Hope this clears it up...

You need to have flown professionally with him. You are an idiot thinking taking him for a joyride in your 172 will impress UPS. Face it, you are a regional lifer.

Hyeflyin, first...please know that what Uppercrust says is complete flame bait. You have as good a chance of getting an interview as anyone who has one recommendation from a single line-pilot...and that’s quite a lot of applicants. I wouldn’t want to see you sit on the edge of your seat thinking you’re on some kind of “short list.” That being said, don’t give up hope.

With regard to the “networking” for a management position, I realize this is an anonymous board and you’re always wondering who’s telling the truth and who’s baiting, but I promise you I personally know 3 people who recently interviewed for management positions with no recommendations whatsoever. In fact, one guy just called to ask if HR had received his resume and was scheduled for an interview right then. In other words, it's easier to get in as management than it is to get hired as a line pilot.

If you’ve read these boards at all you’ll be familiar with the fact that most don’t consider management pilot at UPS to be a very desirable position. You are non-union with little control over where you’ll be assigned and little job protection. You’ll also be expected to fly in the event of a strike. In short, if it were such a good gig they’d be able to keep it adequately staffed by recruiting pilots from the line. As it is, very few line pilots cross over to management.

I don’t want to discourage, but just want you to be well informed. By all means stay in touch with your recommendation, but there will be little he can tell you about the status of your app. Just be sure to update online frequently.

[FONT=&quot]RB [/FONT]

RJDC said:
You need to have flown professionally with him. You are an idiot thinking taking him for a joyride in your 172 will impress UPS. Face it, you are a regional lifer.

Why? Because he has professional ambition that doesn't include suing his fellow pilots to get ahead?

Thanks R.B.
Im not looking into going into the management pilot position at all. Just your standard crew member position. Im still going to keep networking and not rely on just one recommendation. Im sure it will eventually all work out.

Latest resources

Back