• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS to FURLOUGH!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got to laugh Publishers, I can just see you at the local Ben & Jerry's..."I know, you're trying to trick me aren't you...well...smells like ice cream...looks like ice cream...tastes like ice cream...naa, must be dog $hit." Nuff said.

Now, back to the original point since we got off on a tangent (probably my fault), We are all behind our Brown brothers and I sincerely hope you are all behind eachother as well. NOBODY should be taking ANY extra flying. As was mentioned earlier, when scheduling calls because they "really need somebody for this trip", tell them you've got a buddy on furlough who will be happy to take it. Stick together, stay united and this too shall pass. You will come out much stronger with a nice contract and all your buddies back on the line.

F18-FDX said:
I've got to laugh Publishers, I can just see you at the local Ben & Jerry's..."I know, you're trying to trick me aren't you...well...smells like ice cream...looks like ice cream...tastes like ice cream...naa, must be dog $hit."

Ummmmm.......better not step in it!

I can't see anyone picking up open time or JA trips. There were a very small hand full, but they were quickly identified and "politely" asked to reconsider their selfish behavior. The number of grievances has increased dramatically and I would be willing to bet that you'll see quite a few more mechanicals.

Consider these rhetorical questions:

1. Have you ever heard of a company that's making almost $1Billion per quarter furlough its' people? And don't tell me the airline is a small piece of it! International growth is were they recorded their greatest jump in profits. Yes, they may ground transport some overnight parcels, but the existence of the airplanes justifies their ability to charge about 10 times what they would if they sold it as ground delivery.

2. Why are they furloughing 100 people while they are hiring management pilots?

3. They claimed they've been considering a furlough for two years because they were heavy on pilots. Why then were they hiring about 30 pilots a month in Feb '01?

4. Have they considered the possiblity that they will lose some of their pilots to the war effort? According to the Courier Journal today in Louisville, they have and said they will deal with that situation by flying management pilots and having crews fly overtime.

5. Does an intelligent manager think the $8 million dollar savings in furloughing 100 pilots for one year a wise costsavings measure when those 100 pilots will return and fly trips that can make (or break) $1 million dollars in revenue per flight?

Any fool can see what's going on here.

The IPA and line pilots have shown tremendous solidarity and support. They just started a program to support those of us on furlough and the name of the program is the Furlough Ops Center - UPS, pronounced FOC U-P-S! Seriously!

Last edited:
de727ups said:
Our pilot group does not work for a company that is in, or near, bankruptcy,
Wow, this whole thing sucks. Add UPS to the list of bubbles that I had burst in my image of the majors. This industry sucks. Guess I should've been a cop or something.

Hope you guys can get everyone back soon.

Am I missing something or are you guys adding posts to a 3-year-old thread?

GogglesPisano said:
Am I missing something or are you guys adding posts to a 3-year-old thread?

Nope- your not missing a thing. I think someone was trying to play an April fools day joke. :erm:

Latest resources

Back