UPS Pilots Call for Strike Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On Your Six said:
I hear the UPS truck drivers are paid something like $60K annually to drive trucks and wear shorts year round. Not bad. Where do I get an application?

The ironic thing is that UPS sees us pilots the same as a truck driver. To them, 60K a year is a good wage for a pilot. Im not kidding...

My strike fund is ready, hope it doesnt happen, but I am willing and able because it has to be done... Time is up...

BBDC8

As I continue to read, I have comments:

hr2eternity, dont be so sure that the truckers or anyone else will support us on our request for a better contract. Talking aobut support and actually standing up and doing it are two different things.

Rock, UPS will lose 1 billion in lost earning via customer support to FedEx and DHL etc to save 300-400 million on a contract with its unions. Like it or not, this place is VERY old school and they operate on the negotiating rule outlines from the late 30 and early 40s... I am para-phasing here, but I read an post somewhere that basically said, If UPS doesnt change it ways of negotiating, ie; Negotiating with truck drivers is different than negotiating with Pilots, they will continue to slip down the slippery slope and eventually will be known as the second largest shipping company in the world, third largest, etc...

cosmotheassman, I think your idea of comparing salaries of pilots today to be the standard that all the pay rates should be is totally wrong. To be fair, an acurate comparisson would to compare the salaries of the pilots when their repective companies (WERE) in similar financial situations. What was the worth of a DAL or UAL pilot when there companys were making a profit. That is the only true comparrison and that is the approach that our Union is taking... 3.2 billion in profit just last year.

This is gonna get ugly, I had hoped that UPS might be able to see the forest dispite the trees, (Major growth in Asia, New A/C, hiring of pilots) but it seems they are intent on dragging this out as long as possible. They have a game plan, so do we, Lets get it on.

BBDC8

Any hint of a strike would cause loss of the cumstomer base

flyinglow said:
I hope you guys get the raise, but what you stated is exactly why the President will step in to stop a strike. Management knows this and will exploit it. It is sad but probably true that the airlines will bring you down with them.

What a great career!

BBDc8: You're right, just cause the teamsters said they were going to honor our strike (as we did with them) doesn't mean they will. But even if they didn't, the overnight package and internationals stuff would sit for days...still very effective. don't tell me they have enough managers to fly all the trips or a plan in place to hire scabs. They only barely knew they needed to hire now.

Even the threat of a a strike even could scare a good portion of customers away too, like has happened before. The company knows it and so does the union. That's why all the posturing yesterday cause we're in the final stretch and want to remind the company of our ace.

We do have an ace you know until they take away the RLA.

Unfortunately, I fear you other guys might be right about the long term.

I hope UPS pilots would strike. $26 per hour first year? You got to be kidding me. What a slap in the face. I know guys going to UPS that already hate the company and will for life. That kind of pay will not produce a motivated employee. Good luck brown pilots. I support you.

Skymaster, your right,

UPS is a great place to be, checks will always be there. But UPS, in all their arrogance believes they can $hit on people and they should just be happy to be here. Don’t get me wrong, Im a brown bleeder. I enjoy my job, but its time for things to change.

On the subject of new hires, I know most would work here for free the first year just to get the job. UPS has a way of getting you all excited about the job, gives you an interview and then makes you wait 4-6 weeks to get notified (and most times that just for the pool) Then they put you in class, make someone a FE and then hire people Jr to the present New hires and make the Jr people Fo's. UPS feels they can do this type of stuff, because we as pilots should just be happy to be here. Its true to a certain extent, but I think it is only going to fuel animosity within its ranks for years to come.

We always say here that despite UPS's efforts, they always manage to piss the pilot group off enough to truly unite us towards our goals. Its true here too..

BBDC8

Just to pick a number, let's assume an average $50k/yr raise for each of the 2500 pilots, and that adds up to $125mil. That's a whopping 3.8% of the company's net profit last year.

But how much are the pilots making now

av8trix said:
BBDC8,

For those of us starting class soon, what could the strike mean for us?

During probation (first year of employment) you essentially have no "protection" from the union (disciplinary hearings, attorneys etc..). If it comes to a strike, and it may very well, then you'll be advised by the union on what to do. My guess is you will be advised to contact the company and make yourself available for duty.

During the last Teamster strike ('97) management was able to surge for 11 days and operate approximately 5% of the normal flight schedule. I calculated at the time they could possibly sustain only 3% of the normal schedule due to normal FAR flight/duty time limits. Obviously all hiring, ground school, training, sim would stop.

A strike would be devastating for the airline. There are many more competitors for the relatively few air packages which provide the bulk of the profit for UPS and nearly all the growth for the company. Many accounts would be permanently lost and shipper/investor confidence in UPS would drop through the floor (until FedEx pilots strike and the pendulum swings back! <g>)

BBB

"I hope UPS pilots would strike. $26 per hour first year? You got to be kidding me. What a slap in the face."

I want to make a point--it's like what tom said on fox news yesterday---scope (outsourcing and protection) is the issue. You could raise first year pay to $80/hour and this would mean nothing if there wasn't the need for new hires. Schedule article could be the best in the industry but if the scope article isn't addressed correctly then schedule and compensation means nothing. Each article has a direct effect on the other articles.

We have seen every article of the current contract violated. (ie schedule--daily, scope--hourly, compensation--watch it closely, benifits--sick call harrasement, senority--ask a new hire in the nov and dec. class how he or she feels...)

Each article has to be weighed and measured against the other articles. Compensation is an important issue, without question. I understand it is easy to compare one airline to another getting a thumbnail sketch based on compensation. (xyz airline is great those folks make 239/hour--abc airline is terrible they only make 45/hour) Looking at stability, security, growth/expansion... you have to view a larger picture.

100% IPA

Latest resources

Back