• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Beer Belly

Leaders of UPS Pilots Union Call for Strike Vote

03-24-05 03:22 PM EST
ATLANTA -- Leaders of the union representing pilots at United Parcel
Service Inc. (UPS) approved holding a strike vote.

The move is a sign of escalating tensions between pilots and
management at the world's largest package-delivery company, which have
failed to reach agreement on a new contract despite two years of
negotiations that include eight months of federal mediation.

Tom Nicholson, a UPS captain who is president of the Independent
Pilots Association, said the two sides "are only slightly closer" on their
differences in pay, benefits, work scope and other issues than at the start
of involvement by the National Mediation Board, according to a statement.

Results of the strike vote are expected in mid-May.

A UPS spokesman said the union's request to its 2,500 members to
authorize a strike "is a tactic we've been waiting for." He added, "We're
not anywhere near the point where a strike vote means anything or says
anything."

UPS pilots workers wouldn't be allowed to walk off the job unless the
mediation board formally released them from negotiations and the union
rejected binding arbitration. Only then would the countdown to a strike
commence, and even then a deal could be reached before the deadline.
President Bush also could intervene to postpone a strike.

-By Rick Brooks; The Wall Street Journal; 404-865-4355

Dow Jones Newswires
03-24-05 1522ET

Just caught Capt. Nicholson on Fox News with Neil Cavuto discussing UPS's desire to outsource pilot jobs. Appears UPS has chosen to go down the well worn path of confrontation with its pilots rather than fairly reward them for their contribution to UPS's record profits. I've attached a recent article highlighting the raises and bonuses for UPS executives.

========================================

UPS delivers raises and bonus increases to executive leadership

United Parcel Service Inc.'s profit jumped 15 percent in 2004, and its top executives have been rewarded.

Chairman and CEO Michael L. Eskew was paid a salary of $927,500 and bonus of $435,000 in 2004, compared with a salary of $863,000 and bonus of $351,400 in 2003, according to a proxy filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Atlanta-based UPS (NYSE: UPS) posted net income of $3.33 billion on $36.6 billion in revenue in 2004. This compares with net income of $2.89 billion on $33.5 billion in revenue in 2003.

UPS Chief Operating Officer John J. Beystehner, who also is president of Louisville-based UPS Airlines, made $512,500 and a bonus of $237,800 in 2004, compared with $447,200 and a bonus of $182,728 in 2003.

Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer D. Scott Davis was paid $471,800 and got a bonus of $220,400 last year, compared with a salary of $445,200 and bonus of $182,728 in 2003.

Senior Vice President of U.S. Operations Calvin Darden, who retires March 31, made a salary of $472,000 and bonus of $220,400 in 2004, compared with a salary of $453,650 and bonus of $183,230 in 2003.

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

flybrowntails said:
ready to cast my vote!

fbt 100%

How much do I have to pay your MEC chair to come over and have a talk with the
ASA MEC? We've been in negotations longer than UPS and still the same runaround!

I hear the UPS truck drivers are paid something like $60K annually to drive trucks and wear shorts year round. Not bad. Where do I get an application?

It's not like UPS can't afford to pay its pilots more...

Just to pick a number, let's assume an average $50k/yr raise for each of the 2500 pilots, and that adds up to $125mil. That's a whopping 3.8% of the company's net profit last year.

Yep, I think they could loosen up some money there.

When I worked at UPS I saw a power point presentation that compared the raises Delta pilots received in correlation to total revenue over the last 5 years and the pay UPS pilots were at in correlation to total revenue at UPS. It was amazing to see all UPS revenue above the zero line and Delta below the line; yet, Delta pay was substantially more.

I think UPS owes its pilots alot more than they are paid now when you look at the amount of revenue UPS makes. I can't believe it takes nearly 7 years to make 6 figures at UPS. You gotta get that down to 2 years guys.

Those truck drivers are our ticket

On Your Six said:
I hear the UPS truck drivers are paid something like $60K annually to drive trucks and wear shorts year round. Not bad. Where do I get an application?

The truck drivers will be striking with us per previous discourse on the matter. Can you say Shutdown? Can you say Meltdown? A strike will never happen because all business would come to a halt. And if it ever did come to a strike, we'd lose 10% of our customer base right off the top. That's why unions rule. Period.

Have a nice day. 100% IPA

TH.

FedExFumes said:
nice. .

Keep the pressure on! UPS has very deep pocket$.

Nice indeed! Don't let managment take money thats rightfully yours! ;)

Latest resources

Back