Ups Pilots Blame Concessionary Capt Rates On Fedex Proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flybwoy

THere is talk on the IPA B&G that the reason for our TA capt rates are so low is because FED EX is only asking for $217/hr in their proposal. Any Fed Ex pilots care to comment? Or is there a trigger in your pay rates that inflates that # 40% or higher? Any Fed Ex pilots care to comment?

I don't remember us proposing any set rates. Also, if you don't like the rates, vote the TA down and negotiate better ones.

Now does this pass the logic test?

How would UPS mgt know what the FDX pilots are proposing? If the rates were low the IPA isn't going to tell UPS mgt (not that they'd know either). FDX managment isn't going to tell UPS mgt, because if UPS finishes first then it increases the cost to FDX.

ABX was probably used as a minimum threshold. We had the highest hourly rates, but we are paid 20% less than your old contracts because our guarantee is only 65 hours.

Both unions need to go BIG. The job for us and Astar is convincing management we know we are part of a worldwide express operator and not a Kitty Hawk, Fine Air, Burlington, etc. like they are trying to convince us of.

Hold the line. No, raise it! Keep those pay rates up. Us lowly "retard revenue unit" haulers need something to aspire to.

Someone is misinformed. $217 was the last offer from mgmnt that was NOT accepted. It was something like 217/223/229/236 over the term. It falls short of our goal. Our goals have been openly discussed so I am not sure why misinformation is being put out.

This is YOUR contract accept it or reject it. This type of finger pointing doesn't help anyone's cause.

GoABX said:
Both unions need to go BIG. The job for us and Astar is convincing management we know we are part of a worldwide express operator and not a Kitty Hawk, Fine Air, Burlington, etc. like they are trying to convince us of.
I beg to differ. I believe the job for you and ASTAR is convincing the FAA and the Department of Labor that you're an integral part of a "worldwide express company" and not a loose band of unrelated ACMI carriers.

If not for Alan McArtor's insistance back in the mid-80's that UPS own and operate it's own airline, it would still be structured as it was prior to that time...as a "virtual" or "paper airline" operated almost exclusively by ACMI carriers.

And if UPS were doing it, I can almost guarantee you that FedEX would be forced to do it as well...especially since ALPA came onto the property a few years ago.

I'm still not sure why FedEx and UPS forced DHL to divest themselves of their airline operations, but I think it's a move that will eventually haunt both their management and the line pilots of all 3 companies.

Where's Alan McArtor now that we need him?

Someone please explain to me how a $33 an hour raise is "concessionary".

I don't have a problem with trying to get as much as you can (and what the company can sustain to give you for the long term), but to call our rates concessionary is just stupid.

Actually the FDX ALPA put out a document called Final Table Positions and Supporting Documents that is still readily available on the members only section of the alpa website. The ALPA payrate proposal included retro pay, an 8% raise on signing and 4% annually. This would put the WB Capt rates at
DOS 222.74, +1 231.65, +2 240.91, +3 250.55. There is also an extension option which would put it at 265.58 at +4 and 2% higher after +2. The A380 rates are different and higher. Still this doc was put out in October of last year! I am sure the current ALPA position compensates for 1 more year of cost of living plus the companies even greater profits at almost 2 billion a year. We are now 780 days without a contract.
I know that I would really like to see the UPS pilots get the good contract they deserve but to just look at payrates and not the entire contract is pointless. What are the trip and duty rigs? How much is health care, whats the retirement. As I have said before, 150 bucks an hour is a great rate at a trip rig of 10 hours per day!! The bottom line is UPS will get what your negotiation committee as negotiatied. It is a complete package with new benefits and new compromises unique to your company and your contract. Although we are the closest operation to UPS is it is still different so don't blame us for your rates!
TA's are never easy to vote on. The company is aiming for 51% of you guys liking it enough to pass it. All I am saying is that look at the whole package, not just the hourly pay rates that always take center stage. Good luck to you guys.

Last edited:
with the kind of profits you guys are making you should be getting UAL 2000 rates or DAL 2001. Widebody Captains 340/hr and widebody Fo's 220/hr.....

Green said:
with the kind of profits you guys are making you should be getting UAL 2000 rates or DAL 2001. Widebody Captains 340/hr and widebody Fo's 220/hr.....

Uh, ya....ok

Get something ridiculous and then give back half a few years later. No thanks.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back