Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying will not pay for food (at UPS)!

Kidflo,

You are way off base with your statements about "making it through" first year pay at UPS.

First of all your idea of working only 3 days a month and getting another full time job is absurd... Currently engineers are being fully utilized... That means being on call, and probably working all of them, 16 of the 28 day bid period.

Secondly we make 26,000 a year on probation (not 28,000)... Lets put that in perspective for this thread... That equates to 800 take home every two weeks... So you tell me how 1600 pays for rent, utilities, insurance, kid, clothes..... and oh yeah you have to EAT too!!! Good thing that the state of Kentucky will step forward with milk, cheese, and eggs.

Bottomline. First year is financial hazing... Come to work at UPS with the attitude that you will need to supplement your income to make ends meet... Or... Go the credit card route. (You will need $15k to $20k)

UPS is a great company.... At $4 Billion in profits they can afford to pay a wage that makes sure that their college educated employees with at least 10 years of experience make more than the minimums to qualify for state sponsored food programs.

Don't get me wrong UPS is "THE" right place to be ... I would not have made another decision as whether to come to big brown. Just come to Brown with the knowledge that you must plan (financially). The outlook is great. The next contract will definately be our coming out.

For what its worth, back in the "good old days" of 2000 when I was applying, I didn't put in an App at UPS until I had already thrown a bunch of others out. Yes, it is a great company...but lots of other "great companies" were hiring and wouldn't be kicking you in the financial crotch your first year. I'm sure UPS can live without me, but the low first year pay did in fact discourage me from applying there. In 2002 its a different game, and I'm sure they have no shortage of qualified guys who'd love to work there.

Another F15 retiree got started there about 1 year before I got my airline career going, however, and it is a great fit for him. He works for a very successful company, and with his military retirement can afford to ride out the first year pay troubles. Seems to me like UPS would be a great first choice for those guys who stuck out the military for 20 years. For the rest of us....wow! I hope you guys can "fix" the first year pay at UPS on the next contract. Probation is one thing, but 26k is hazing.

Speaking of your next contract, what has the union put out for openers, and what has management responded with?

Latest resources

Back