• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS Pilot Contract 2003

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I chose UPS over SWA and FedEx because of the long range picture. Given what I know now, the decision may have been different.

UPS management says we are overstaffed and the union says we are understaffed. Based on my experience, I strongly agree with the union. I came here for stability and I hear management insinuate they are close to furloughing?!

The first year pay is humiliating. Yes, I knew it coming in, but having to receive government cheese, milk, cereal, etc to feed my family didn't create that warm and fuzzy for Brown. I exhausted most of my savings trying to keep my home and clothe my family.

The unions were created to help those truly abused by large and powerful companies. While we may have issues that need to be addressed to bring us up to industry standards, our new hires are the only group that are grossly abused.

I will vote NO for a contract that does not adjust newhire pay.

<<H23BCPTN - Anybody that makes the career decision between two polar opposite airlines based on first year pay is not much of a strategic thinker. The type of flying, career earnings potential, lifestyle, etc, etc. couldn't be more distinct. Varsity commuter pilot vs. freight dog.>>

One might have to make that decision based on first year pay because he has a family to feed and can not put food on the table at $28,000 a year. Don't get me wrong, I have saved over $20,000 so that I can live on the low pay for the first year. However, it would be nice if I didn't have to take out all of my saving that first year.

Fly Safe

:cool:

Re: Yea Right!

ByeUSAir said:

Well back out to my Deer stand I have three tags to fill this month. Glad the family like venison.

Good luck with the hunting! That monster buck has managed to elude me so far this season but I have his number, #69....lol The rut is starting to kick in HIGH gear in Eastern NC.

gump

PS: My next career will be a hunting guide in Montana!;)

Packdog - I also think the paradigm which says we have to give something up to gain something else is a bunch of *^&%$#@%. UPS will end up with about $4 Billion in profits in this recessionary environment. Overall, we are a well managed company as much as it might pain some of us pilots to admit it. However, there is no reason we cannot obtain an industry LEADING contract in EVERY area. We work for a GREAT company, and they are shrewd labor negotiators... they have to be. I would not agree that our union are poor negotiators, only that they have been battling an 800 lbs gorrilla. What I don't like is the lowering of expectations which seems to be coming out of the EB. "Wait around a while and we may be industry leading...." NOT IMPRESSED. If our negotiation team see's this, rest assured we are solidly behind you.

UPSFO - I got interview invites from AMR, UAL, DAL, SWA, and NWA and came here in the hight of the last hiring boom. In the long term, I think you made the right choice.

Regards, WG

jeeze....

The price you pay for a multi-million $$ career.... 12 lousy months of getting by.....

How about this - I am at the top of my previous career path, corporate aviation. It will take me 5 years to break even at my new job - SWA - and I can't WAIT to start!!!!

For SOME of us it is not ALL about the $$$$.

Short term pain for long-term gain - look at the B I G PICTURE!?!?

Yeah what the man said

Tredd is right, a very very small price to pay for millions in the long run. Probation pay is better at some and worse at others but once you get that behind you then you're off and running. One measly year out of a average of 20 to 30 years left in your career there. I've been with a regional for the last 6 years and I will make 25 k more my second year at SWA then 6 year pay were I'm at now. I'll take the first year pay cut Gladly... Just look at the BIG PICTURE like tredd said. Besides where else are you gonna go. It's a buyers market out there, if you haven't noticed and I'm sure there's a thousand or more pilots out there that would jump on that in a heart beat if given the chance at UPS even at 2,167.00

5 Year Plan ???

Be very careful,

My 5 year plan recently turned into maybe a 10 year plan ! It now appears that it will take a while to get back and even longer to make captain. UAL was upgrading in as little as 4 years when I started and has attained the lofty position of a "big maybe" in making it through this mess. Who knows how long it will take once things recover. Fortunately, like you, I have a corporate background and have found employment outside of the airlines for the time being.

So, it is not all about the money, however in my relatively short stay I saw the end of a contract, negotiations for a new contract, the possible merger with US Air, a turning economy, 9/11, the aftermath, and now more furloughs to come, wow, so much for the dream job ! I know, things WILL turn around and this will be something we all talk about down the road as the bad times. With that said though, I will return when the time comes because it still is a better career in my opinion. The highs are the schedule, career expectation, free travel passes, and the chance to fly the 777 or the 747, well if we keep any 747s.

To keep to the original thread, yes the 1st year pay is meager, just don't bank on the fact that it will improve with a guarantee such as a contract, mgmt has rolled over ours like it was not even there !

Better luck at SWA and UPS !

Just a few observations:

1.) No one should be complaining about UPS first year pay because no one is on UPS first year pay. The last UPS class started Sept 2001.

2.) If you are lucky enough to get on with UPS, you CAN easily support your family on 28k: move to Louisville, bid reserve, work 3 days a month and get another full time job.

I hope we do something about the first yr. pay rate but most of the pilots don't really seem to care. The opinion that I have seen the most is that first year pilots are not members of the union, and most of the guys feel it should be the companies responsibility to raise first year pay.

In other words if we get it fine, but we won't trade anything for it.

This is not my opinion but it does seem to be the prevailing attitude.

N

Latest resources

Back