UPS new hires to MD-11!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speaking of MD11's

Does anybody here have some information on the UPS MD11 that had a hard landing. Certainly qualifies as an incident and maybe further all the way up to an accident based upon the dollar amount to repair it. Saw some pictures on a UPS pilot website and it was not pretty. Any accurate information would be appreciated.

Ps. This is not an attempt to hijack this thread.

UPS MD11 accident

Yeah, I saw the pictures too. Looks like the nose gear tires were missing, ground down to the rim and did quite a bit of damage to the engines.......

Even popped the slides to get out....no one hurt, right?

Brown Cow said:
General, General.

Still yapping jibberish to rack up your post count!!! 727 F/E is the worst seat? Actually sitting forever in line at Atlanta or wondering if 7000' is enough for a 737-200 out of LGA is a little worse than plumbing. However, knowing that your company will be around for a while because it makes more in one year than DAL loses in three, well that's inspiration enough for me. For those coming soon to Brown and getting a panel job......don't worry! After a new contract, future growth and all the other good stuff, you'll laugh, too.

Jibberish? The General can have an opinion - can't he? I don't know many people who would prefer to sit in an FE seat to a window seat. Do you?

Let me guess Brown Cow, you never got an interview with Delta and now you enjoy kicking it when it is down... A class act.

The problem is that the General "hated every minute of it". It appears that the person who has the most to say is a little too good for the panel. If you'll look at my flight experience it is all civilian........I didn't have a prayer to get into Delta. Cool uniforms, FA's that strip, Boeings.......yah, Delta would have been choice #1. Now I feel lucky and am thrilled to plumb for a while. Plus the 727 is a great airplane to do the job on. The whale would just suck tooooo much..only 3 feet away from eternal bliss, and the 8 is tooooo much work.

General, because you have so much experience and have so many things, you should support the moves that people make. Support the fact that it is a way to lay low on probation and a way to learn the systems of an airplane real well. Plus, I think that new hires coming onto the -11 will have a hell of a time learning not only a glass airplane, but ETOPS, international ops, company ops, etc, etc. Some may wish they were just on the panel for their first 365 days.

Brown Cow said:
The problem is that the General "hated every minute of it". It appears that the person who has the most to say is a little too good for the panel. If you'll look at my flight experience it is all civilian........I didn't have a prayer to get into Delta. Cool uniforms, FA's that strip, Boeings.......yah, Delta would have been choice #1. Now I feel lucky and am thrilled to plumb for a while. Plus the 727 is a great airplane to do the job on. The whale would just suck tooooo much..only 3 feet away from eternal bliss, and the 8 is tooooo much work.

General, because you have so much experience and have so many things, you should support the moves that people make. Support the fact that it is a way to lay low on probation and a way to learn the systems of an airplane real well. Plus, I think that new hires coming onto the -11 will have a hell of a time learning not only a glass airplane, but ETOPS, international ops, company ops, etc, etc. Some may wish they were just on the panel for their first 365 days.

Dude, slow down a bit. I didn't detect any malice from the General in his post. In fact, if you read one of his earlier posts, he asks about the MD-11 routes. Some people like the panel, others don't (most people I know who have panel time hated it because they preferred actually flying the aircraft). The General has an opinion. Obviously, people lucky enough to get picked up by UPS should rejoice - it's a great operation no question. However, I think you are a bit sensitive because I didn't detect any ill-will from the General - he was just stating that he didn't enjoy his own panel time...

Brown Cow said:
General, General.

Still yapping jibberish to rack up your post count!!! 727 F/E is the worst seat? Actually sitting forever in line at Atlanta or wondering if 7000' is enough for a 737-200 out of LGA is a little worse than plumbing. However, knowing that your company will be around for a while because it makes more in one year than DAL loses in three, well that's inspiration enough for me. For those coming soon to Brown and getting a panel job......don't worry! After a new contract, future growth and all the other good stuff, you'll laugh, too.

Thanks for giving me sooo much power. I guess people will disregard UPS if I SAY I HATED FLYING THE PANEL ON THE 727. Wow. I never knew I had the power to convince millions of pilots. Man alive, I originally said I thought it was GREAT that newhires at UPS had the chance to fly the MD11 right off the bat(notice my first post on this thread), and then you slam me telling me I can't have an opinion about my own personal experience on the panel. Hmmm. You really look stupid right about now. And, I never had any military experience either. Your contributions to this board so far are nonexistant. Keep your chin up and keep working on it. Someday you will provide something that has meaning. Goodaye.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Brown Cow said:

BrownCow...........The MD11 is not an ETOPS aircraft. That's for the two engine guys. As for starting off in the MD11, well if the pilot has little experience in an aircraft of that size and weight, plus having something less than great flying qualities, he or she could really have their hands full. Much nicer to start off in one of the other good aircraft that UPS flys, like maybe the 767/757....IMHO.

Apparantly 4820 posts is a contribution. Thank you General, you are the enlightened one, the one we should all follow. Please concern yourself more with saving your proud airline, and leave us "stupid", insignificant cargo folks alone. I am searching for a way to bring meaning to this board..........searching.......searching. Can't find a way right now! But, I assume that you General will have another 4820 things to say.

Spooky, sure etops is only for 2 engines, but you know that you just can't point the airplane East or West and hope that you'll make landfall. There's a little more involved.

So sorry Brown Cow. I think I know the difference between aviating and pointing the airplane East or West. In either case ETOPS is not applicable to the MD11. Just pointing that out as you seemed to be a little confused.

UPS got rave reviews in the latest issue of Aviation Week, Nice job! I have a friend that is going back to UPS after about two years off on some sort of disputed leave/furlough. Are you familiar with that situation and how many pilots may have been effected? He is leaving a good job now for a position at UPS that at least at this time pays less, but stands to pay much more in the furure. To bad as we will miss him around our hangar. Good all around guy.

Latest resources

Back