UPS Hopefulls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boogenagen

Just a quick note to let you guys know I was recently turned down at UPS due to "PIC" time. I had the requirements under 61.51 but was told that they only except PIC under Part 1. This is contrary to what is stated on the flight time grid portion of the application when you get the interview. Just thought I would let everyone know.

So what does that mean? Is this the old aircraft commander(ie. sign for a/c) clause. If so, I'm screwed. I have 1400 jet pic but we trade seats. Technically I'm not the PIC then, I guess.

When I spoke to them last week, they asked me all of the typical questions and then asked:

"Do you have 1000 hrs of PIC, by PIC I mean, when you were the captain signing for the aircraft, not the sole manipulator of the controls"

You're a G5 capt. and leaving to start as a UPS FE? Can I ask why?

Just by looking at your experience it looks like you were former airline, furloughed and started in the corporate world, rose to the pinnacle on that side. Now you want to start all over again in the airline. Am I close? Man.... are pilots a glutton for punishment or what?

Hey Boog & G4G5 - Thanks for the the info regarding the FAR 61.51 vs FAR 1 debacle - sorry to hear that happened. I'm in the same boat - thought I met the mins, but I guess not. Please tell me they clarified this on the phone BEFORE you went to Louisville for an interview. Was it an HR type that you spoke with?

And not to beat this to death, but what is the actual requirement?

Here are the 3 kinds of PIC I have to choose from in my log book :

1) I signed for it, and I flew it (Clear case of 61.51 and FAR 1)
2) I signed for it, sat in the left seat while my compadre flew from the right.
3) Somebody else signed for it, but I sat in the left seat and flew it.

Obviously 1) counts (or I'm really confused). Can anyone speak authoritatively on 2 & 3 ? At the risk of whining (break out the cheese), I have quite a bit of 2) because I thought I was doing to right thing letting my FO fly every other leg. I think I'm going to poke myself in the eye if it turns out I have hosed myself by not being a leg hog-

In a "nut shell". You signed for it (regardless who flew the leg) its all yours. If you did not sign for it, it wont count for PIC under part 1 which is the time that counts. Best of luck to everyone.

Boog has it right. Everyone knows FO's fly roughly half the time. The company wants to know how many CAPTAIN hours you have, not how many hours you actually had your hand on the stick. Look at it another way - can your FO REALLY count the hours he flew as PIC? If he was typed, then "yes" according to the FAA maybe, but still a big "NO" according to many airlines.

For all the right-seaters out there, including me at the moment, just assume your right-seat time counts only for total time, nothing else.

It didn't used to be that way at UPS. When I was hired in 2001 most of the guys/gals I knew used part 61.

I logged my SO time as PIC when I was at the controls (I was typed in the C130.)

I am surprised they have changed their ways, but I gues they can be picky as to what they want.

Good luck all.

gear_guy said:
You're a G5 capt. and leaving to start as a UPS FE? Can I ask why?

Just by looking at your experience it looks like you were former airline, furloughed and started in the corporate world, rose to the pinnacle on that side. Now you want to start all over again in the airline. Am I close? Man.... are pilots a glutton for punishment or what?
I'm speculating, but what the heck, here's my $0.02.

Probably because his odds from retiring from UPS are greater than where he is right now. Probably because UPS won't tie him to a pager 24/7, 365 days a year. Probably, because he'll recoup that pay after 2-3 years with a substantial increase in quality of life.

Gear_Guy, not slamming your post, but giving an honest assessment of why somebody would trade in corporate for an FE position.

And again, pure speculation as to why one would leave a G5 spot for an FE position, and that FE position isn't permanent either.

Latest resources

Back