• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS hiring window: OPEN for transoceanic heavy drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt Canada is going to fit the requirement. They're probably looking for pilots who have had to look at each other after every other radio call and confer on what they think ATC said. :D

What about dealing with the rampers in IAD?:D

Yeah and that goatrope over Chila intersection...geeze..."WTF did he say???"
Gotta love it...;)

"Fright-lever"......translation: Flight-level....I still think that the Brazilians are the hardest to understand..

Yeah and that goat rope over Chila intersection...geeze..."WTF did he say???"
Gotta love it...;)
Yeah, you've working all three radios and trying to keep it straight which freq to call who when. By the time I'm past Bangladesh I'm happy to get to China where I only have to report each and every waypoint.

Chila, that's a nice one, talking to about 3 agencies nearly simultaneously, some on the HF and the same frequency as well. I call that area "The Three Stooges". Don't forget the CTAF, that saved my bacon once as Mandalay/Yangong/Dhaka/Kulakata did not have a clue as to what was going on. The opposite direction traffic was real close!

Last edited:
you go girl !

Seems to me like there is always a disqualifier, not just this recent "trans-oceanic experience" and good people are going to be turned away for many other reasons before they even get to the starting blocks.
By the way, it's only US airlines that do this. Everywhere else it is very different, though not necessarily frightening. As someone previously commented, there are plenty of 500 or 1000 hour cadets whose first commercial job is either a trainee FO or junior FO on B747-400s and A340s flying international, trans-oceanic EVERY day. And guess what? They are not falling out of the skies!
I doubt very much that I would get a look in at UPS nor Fedex as I don't have buddies there nor the chance to cultivate any associations (live and work overseas for a foreign ACMI carrier) for that "special" sponsor who can attest to your flying skills.
But.....................I DO have over 8,500 hours total time - mostly international (ironic that!), 3 ICAO licences, 4 type ratings, trans all oceans experience plus lots of desert, currently fly the 747 classic with other wide-body experience, Chinese experience yadda, yadda. But I will NEVER get an interview (notice, I did not say job!) at either UPS or Fedex because of their hiring policies.
As for the international stuff, in most US companies, this is made out to be a big deal course. It is not, nor should it be. Your European, Asian, African (you name it) brethren have it ingrained from a much earlier stage of their careers as virtually ALL their primary flying and training is international, if not trans-oceanic. Just an observation from someone who has seen it from both sides.
While I can understand the logic to some extent, as some one who has had extensive experience in this field of operations, it's not that a big of a deal but it keeps the apps down and makes life a little easier for the HR folks. I believe that is the real reason behind it. Everyone has to start some where and it really is a sad day when the very airlines that ply their business globally shut out otherwise good candidates soley on the basis of not having a certain experience type especially one that can be taught and learned quickly. Yes, their train set and all that but it's rather short-sighted. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.
And I do feel sorry for those that aspire to go to these airlines as you now have another hurdle to jump over and it will take a lot longer. Maybe by the time you get that coveted experience, there will be another hurdle which wasn't there now. TAre you going to keep hitting your head against the wall each time? That's life in this wondeful game of airline "careers". Some get lucky and others don't through no fault of their own, I've seen plenty on both sides of the fence.
Whatever your decisions, good luck to all!

Seems to me like there is always a disqualifier, not just this recent "trans-oceanic experience" and good people are going to be turned away for many other reasons before they even get to the starting blocks.
By the way, it's only US airlines that do this. Everywhere else it is very different, though not necessarily frightening. As someone previously commented, there are plenty of 500 or 1000 hour cadets whose first commercial job is either a trainee FO or junior FO on B747-400s and A340s flying international, trans-oceanic EVERY day. And guess what? They are not falling out of the skies!
I doubt very much that I would get a look in at UPS nor Fedex as I don't have buddies there nor the chance to cultivate any associations (live and work overseas for a foreign ACMI carrier) for that "special" sponsor who can attest to your flying skills.
But.....................I DO have over 8,500 hours total time - mostly international (ironic that!), 3 ICAO licences, 4 type ratings, trans all oceans experience plus lots of desert, currently fly the 747 classic with other wide-body experience, Chinese experience yadda, yadda. But I will NEVER get an interview (notice, I did not say job!) at either UPS or Fedex because of their hiring policies.
As for the international stuff, in most US companies, this is made out to be a big deal course. It is not, nor should it be. Your European, Asian, African (you name it) brethren have it ingrained from a much earlier stage of their careers as virtually ALL their primary flying and training is international, if not trans-oceanic. Just an observation from someone who has seen it from both sides.
While I can understand the logic to some extent, as some one who has had extensive experience in this field of operations, it's not that a big of a deal but it keeps the apps down and makes life a little easier for the HR folks. I believe that is the real reason behind it. Everyone has to start some where and it really is a sad day when the very airlines that ply their business globally shut out otherwise good candidates soley on the basis of not having a certain experience type especially one that can be taught and learned quickly. Yes, their train set and all that but it's rather short-sighted. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.
And I do feel sorry for those that aspire to go to these airlines as you now have another hurdle to jump over and it will take a lot longer. Maybe by the time you get that coveted experience, there will be another hurdle which wasn't there now. TAre you going to keep hitting your head against the wall each time? That's life in this wondeful game of airline "careers". Some get lucky and others don't through no fault of their own, I've seen plenty on both sides of the fence.
Whatever your decisions, good luck to all!

Have you applied? I did not have a pilot rec and I was hired 2 years ago. Plenty of folks are getting interviewed and hired without recs. It's easy to cry that the process is unfair when you don't even apply.

While I can understand the logic to some extent, as some one who has had extensive experience in this field of operations, it's not that a big of a deal but it keeps the apps down and makes life a little easier for the HR folks. I believe that is the real reason behind it. Everyone has to start some where and it really is a sad day when the very airlines that ply their business globally shut out otherwise good candidates soley on the basis of not having a certain experience type especially one that can be taught and learned quickly. Yes, their train set and all that but it's rather short-sighted.

b757driver,

Your [recommendation required] information is terribly dated and inaccurate. A recommendation is not required at UPS.

The second [highlighted] bullet is also inaccurate. The current (and temporary) requirement to have experience in the Class II nav area all relates to the opening of a new pilot domicile (ANC). Few currently employed UPS pilots with international experience have chosen to bid the MD-11 in ANC. The pilots that do have international experience and wish to bid ANC have opted for the 744, which is also a new concurrently opening pilot domicile. UPS is attempting to mitigate a known and predicted safety risk by temporarily staffing the ANC MD-11 with new hires who have heavy international experience. I imagine after perhaps a year of everyone in ANC gaining operational experience (especially new captains) the requirement for ANC MD-11 new hires to have Class II experience will be dropped.

I can imagine a scenario in which UPS continues to place new hires into ANC with no intl experience, an accident occurs and majority blame is placed on crew inexperience. The same people bitching about the current Draconian Class II nav experience being a temporary requirement would be the loudest criticizers of UPS for FAILING to foresee this obvious safety risk and taking no preemptive action to reduce the risk!

Do you now see the position UPS is in b757driver? If you ran the company, how would you mitigate this risk?

BBB

So what is the bottom line for all the non-trans-oceanic experience guys(myself included)????

Should I fill out the app anyway just to have it on file for the future? Or will the system turn me down and lock me out until 2008??

What is everybody doing?

You can't even tick that box without the heavy time Candleman....but on the upside I'm sure once PANC is full the mins will change....but for now it's nice seeing the "Freight Dawgs" get the preferance...!!

Latest resources

Back