Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS hiring to slow to a trickle the remainder of 2006.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I did attend the women-in-aviation job fair in Nashville last Saturday (and no, I’m not a woman :)) and overheard Phil D tell a hopeful that the hiring is going to slow down a whole lot. He said something like, “we might not even hire at all for the rest of this year, who knows?” I was really hoping to hear something more positive, but… :(

⌐⌐⌐⌐⌐ said:
Well, I did attend the women-in-aviation job fair in Nashville last Saturday (and no, I’m not a woman :)) and overheard Phil D tell a hopeful that the hiring is going to slow down a whole lot. He said something like, “we might not even hire at all for the rest of this year, who knows?” I was really hoping to hear something more positive, but… :(

Great, Looks like another year in the brown water pool!!

Why is life so mean??

With these assumptions....They may hire more as some leave for FedEx.

I wonder if anyone knows how many FedEx newhires were former first year UPS? I know it has happened the last two years and will likely happen again when hiring returns at FedEx. The flood gates are about to open.

Any UPS'ers guys leaving for SWA or Airtran???

Before you UPS guys flame this comment, realize that folks leaving only encourages management to hurry up and finish the contract. It's in your best interest.

Last edited:
Great, Looks like another year in the brown water pool!!
Why is life so mean??

Sorry LLB, didn’t mean to ruin your day. Remember, he said “hiring” - not necessarily taking people out of the pool!

I have been following yours and some other’s plights here on flightinfo for quite some time. Have you thought about calling the HR folks to find out what the hold up is? How about your sponsors or whoever helped you get an interview, do you think he/she could stick their head into PM’s office one day and try to see what’s going on?

Ok, brace yourself now, I got some questions and I do not want to you to think this is about you at all! Also, I do not think this will happen to you or any other “longtime poolie” but I must ask:

- In the past, has it ever happened that someone who was in the pool never got hired? And if so why???

- I have heard rumors that even after a person is placed in the “pool” it is still possible to blackball him or her. Also, I have heard that if one scores fairly “low” (whatever that means) it’s very hard for that person to become competitive with the other poolies because as long as they do interviews and the “new guys” get even slightly higher scores, the “old poolie” will keep getting pushed back for as long as the “new guys do better.” If so, is there a way to “improve” the low interview score? For example by getting more pic time, by getting another type rating, additional online recommendation letters, etc, etc???

I know you hate to even think about all these questions, but is there a way to find out? Maybe your friends, sponsors, etc can make some phone calls??? How about showing up at a job fair and trying to talk to the HR folks in person?

LLB, sorry about the many questions, and remember this is not about you at all - I’m brainstorming here that’s all;

- The UPS pool has been so confusing for so long to a whole lot of folks and I’m just trying to figure out what being placed in the UPS pool really means??? (btw. I’m not even “lucky” enough to call myself a poolie )

- I sincerely hope you and all the other long- and short-time poolies will get the "good" call very, very soon!!!

Last edited:
LLB, the sad fact is that the UPS pool is a competetive pool not a FIFO pool. It should be fairly obvious to you by now that you did indeed score well enough to be put in the pool but not high enough as to be selected over subsequent interviewees. I suggest having your sponsor go to HR and inquire as to why you have been in the pool for so long and see it they have intentions of ever hiring you.

Heck, we can barely contain the greed among a small percentage of our crew force during these troubled times as it is.
We have the same problem over on our end. Same greedy F***s just a different color.

LLB,

I agree with the above post too. A couple friends of mine interviewed recently and were put in class almost immediately (2 weeks from interview).

Get your sponsor on it! Or better yet, dont have all your eggs in one basket. By the way congrats for being hired at UPS, it is a very good accomplishment :)

Cya

LLB, I'm in the same situation too. Been swimming since my interview last March. Have my sponsor working on it and trying to find out as much info as possible. Am about to call and see if I'm still on the list or if they called and somehow I missed it.

Don't know if anyone has been stuck in the pool lately. From what I have gathered from these boards there was a pool before 9/11. Then these guys had to wait about 3 years before hiring began again. By that time there was a new person in charge of hiring. He didn't want to hire anyone that didn't go through the his process so he brought them all in to reinterview, only so many made it.

Chris

FlyBoeingJets said:
With these assumptions....They may hire more as some leave for FedEx.

I wonder if anyone knows how many FedEx newhires were former first year UPS? I know it has happened the last two years and will likely happen again when hiring returns at FedEx. The flood gates are about to open.

Any UPS'ers guys leaving for SWA or Airtran???

Before you UPS guys flame this comment, realize that folks leaving only encourages management to hurry up and finish the contract. It's in your best interest.

Leave UPS for SWA!!?? Are you crazy? I caution anyone who believes anything they read on FI. With the new aircraft we are getting and the amount or retirements coming when the contract gets signed there has to be hiring. Remember we have 80% of our FEs that are over 60. What percentage of FEs are over 60 at FedEx? If the new contract is indeed "industry leading" you can expect the same percentage of over 60 FEs at UPS as are at FedEx.

I don't know anymore than anyone else who works at UPS just my opinion.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back