Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
What are the realistic chances of new hires at FDX or UPS commuting to work from DFW?

I mean commuting and maintaining your sanity and blood pressure levels, especially Year 1.

Thanks

DFW commuting

I can't talk for UPS, but for FedEx - it doesn't get much easier than DFW. Plenty of Fedex planes to Memphis. Several other cariers that operate into Memphis.

Short of living in the land of Elvis....

For UPS, very difficult, there are plenty of flights to SDF, but we have over 250 crewmembers commuting out of there. It is doable, just takes prior planning.

My advice, get hired by ups, Dont commute, make the move to SDF, that is unless you are not on reserve, then you will probably be commercialing to work on the companies dime...

Commuting

I think a guy can always commute but you'll be gone a lot. I believe Eagle has direct flights to SDF from DFW. Anyhow...for me, living in SDF was never a question. Just wasn't gonna happen (except for what I told them at the interview....hehe). I've always commuted and I've bypassed upgrades to make for a better lifestyle. I'm very happy with my decisions but I'm a single guy with simple tastes....everyone has to make their own call based on their situation.

If I were a new hire again I'd move to Planet Mempho. Sit reserve, work 6 days a month, pick up 3 or 4 standby's a month to pay off my credit cards....

Good Plan

Huck, thats a good plan, but unfortunately right now you end up working just about every day on reserve and fielding draft calls on your days off. Its still not bad, but it isn't as good as I hear it used to be or is now in other aircraft. In the back of the Boeing we are being used just about every R day. Can't wait for the hiring rumors to come true!

FJ

Yup,

If it weren't for make up, I wouldn't fly....19 out of 20 straight days on reserve and I only flew 1 leg. Had an afternoon DH out and fly back on Xmass eve, and an OAK DH out STBY and DH Back.

My bud had only 1 stby the whole month.

Things are quite nice in the Back of the 10......I hope they don't excess me back to the slave ship!

Other UPS bases for pilots are Ontario California and Miami. But you won't go there as a new hire, in fact it would take a few years to get there more than likely.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back