UPS Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you also have 9 leg days.

I just have one question: How do you guys manage to clean the cabin AND make a trip to MckieDs on the 20 min turns?

When are you going to the majors?

Ok, that's 2 questions. Hey "two" is also a number of legs a UPS pilot typically flies in a day.

Average 3 legs/day. Most ever for me = 5. (rare)

Most turns are 25-30 min. Today, got the plane ready for next flight, folded some seatbelts, ran to the pit to get a stroller, and went and got a starbucks, and still had a few minutes to blow. No problem.

I went to the majors in 2003. Then this industry leading major in '06.

Thats great yall only fly 2 legs, point?

⌐⌐⌐⌐⌐;1256143 said:
WhataWhopper

Big oil whooped your a$$, bet you dont care.

Not sure what you mean by that, you see when oil prices go up FedEx & UPS use this wonderful feature called "Fuel Surcharge." Works pretty good and makes the customer pay for the oil/fuel price increases and NOT the airline employees. What a concept huh?

I think that 30yrs of profit aint bad.

You’re absolutely right – 30 years of profit is wonderful, especially in this industry. How about 100 years? That’s right 1907 -2007 makes 100 years of UPS and even though I don’t know the statistics I bet to venture most of those 100 years UPS made a profit.

Luv ;)

"this industry" = aviation. What did yall fly in ought seven?

What did yall fly in ought seven?

I'd love to reply but need to understand your message first?! I know I'm slow, but what exactly does this sentence mean? In English plz?

I think I just figured it out (like I said, I'm slow).

You mean what did we fly in “oh seven” correct?
You’re right – there were no airplanes @ UPS in 1907. You mentioned that SWA has been making money for 30 years so I was just trying to point out that UPS has been profitable for quite some time too, that’s all.

No one is picking on “your” airline and if it makes you feel better I think your airline/airplane/paycheck/retirement/quality-of-life/fill-in-the-blanks is bigger than ours!
There you go – feel better? :)

Seriously, I think SWA is a good company, fly on you all the time and am always treated very nicely by everyone involved.

I just wish there was a tiny “crew only” section where we could be sealed off from the crying babies (AirTran all the way for dealing with that issue!!! – yes I know, if I was a parent I’d understand, but right now I do not!)

Also, I’d love for each passenger seat to have a tiny electrical fence built into the armrests!

This way all the 5’ tall and 6‘wide chunky ladies and the 6’tall and 5’wide fata** men would get a “friendly” reminder each time a part of their body takes an excursion into the other seat!

choices

I was very lucky and was hired at both. I chose UPS mainly due to the pay since I had not worked at either on the line and was about to begin training at UPS when the SWA call came. It's not a put down on LUV, but the pay/benefits/compensation is not even close. I wish we had the corporate culture and management team that SWA has. There is a lot more to UPS pay than just the hourly rates and minimum guarantee.

I too have been very fortunate... both pools, both class dates. I've made my choice, it's been one of the toughest ever....

Two final questions? Does the relationship with management make UPS any worse of a place to work.

Are any of you UPSers finding it hard to balance your sked. with family/child at home.

No. Mgt issues are not that big of a deal although you will get frustrated at times.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the QOL!

Ha ha....sorry, I have not been drowning in the big brown kool aid pool (then again, who has?). I could care less what someone says about UPS. Ya ain't gonna get my panties in a bunch over that. It's not like you boys (and girls) over there at LUV....at the end of training they all throw you into the big LUV kool aid pool and you are never the same. :)

Hugs and kisses

XOXOXO

I can feel the love between Mega & Whata...........

Whata said he got a Valentine's card from the queen of night freight. Said something in there 'bout "sugarbritches & Sunday papers"... Dang! Romance is in the air....:D

Last edited:
I too have been very fortunate... both pools, both class dates. I've made my choice, it's been one of the toughest ever....

Two final questions? Does the relationship with management make UPS any worse of a place to work.

Are any of you UPSers finding it hard to balance your sked. with family/child at home.

350:

After over 15 years I find the schedules rather hard to deal with concerning family and children. Perhaps I have been removed from other types of aviation for long enough not to remember how it was with them. This job was much easier for me when I didn't kids.

Morning turns have me waking at around 2:00 am so asleep around 6;00pm . Afternoon turns have me leaving for work around 2:00pm getting home around 1:00am. don't see much of the kids since they are in school. I think one does around 13-14 turns a month (28 days) Next choice are week trips which work out best for me. Another option for the international guys are the 2 week blocks but its hard on the kids to be gone that long. Reserve in domicile can be a good deal but there are very few protections concerning deadheading and trip changes. Had one guy who was on the road for 27 days a few months ago. Jet lag and night shift work are never easy. The rumor mill has us with a very high divorce rate.

Concerning the relationship with the union pilots and the nonunion mgt pilots, it is poor at best. does it make it a worse place to work?... yes imo but it does add some fun factor when they give advice.

I like it but its a job with good and bad.

all the international trips are not two weeks long. In z you can fly mexico two day trips to your hearts content and be home every day.

The tension between management and the real pilots <G> is there, but only at the higher levels and it doesn't mean a thing to your day to day job. Come on in, the waters fine!

Latest resources

Back