• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just curious, the HR rep mentioned 75 in SDF had domestic and Z spots available, kinda sounds like you stay on one side of the fence.

ONT does a little international as well as domestic. You can move within any 757 domicile (MIA, ONT, SDF, SDFZ) without any equiptment/domicile freeze. There just has to be an opening

Any word on the app page? I check the site about 10 times daily for the past 2 months and nada. Got typed on the MD-11 and have alot of International experiance. If anyone can help with info please PM me. I would greatly appreciate it.

I second that (minus the MD11 type). I have had an active application on file with UPS since 2001 including the 2006 app. Now that I actually meet the minimums when will I be able to apply to the 2007 window???? Does anyone really know? Thanks for any info.
S

Ups

Cut and pasted from APC...useful though. FWIW...

Like Freight Dog posted on the UPS page, Don't wait around on a computer, the hotline will tell you when it is open. Call 800-241-2357 OFTEN. Check upsjobs.com frequently for a 'flight officer' listing.

"Welcome to the UPS pilot hiring hotline, today is Monday Feb 12, due to continued growth and international expansion we are currently interviewing and hiring for multiple fleets and domiciles. However, due to a large number of qualified applicants who have already expressed interest, we are not currently accepting additional online applications. As soon as the application window is opened again, that information will be communicated via this hotline along with a listing of our basic qualifications listed on UPSJOBS.com. The UPS airline is currently accepting online applications for ground school instructors...Please check this hotline periodically for future updates..."

I believe this new methodology helps those without internal LORs. Since they do close it after they filled the quota, it may be a few weeks before they reopen, but it depends on who gets called for an interview during the previous window. If not enough 'desirable' applicants, it will be a shorter period of time before the window reopens. Weird system. UPS has never seemed to care what applicants perceptions are of UPS and it's processes or how UPS is perceived by the profession. I call it arrogance, they know they will always have enough applicants who are just happy to have made it through the hurdles and work at UPS. Like posted earlier, being a groundschool instructor is NOT a path to a cockpit like Fedex.
Split S, I would have to talk to HR how someone updates when the window closed. Good question, am sure no one thought of that in HR.

What's life like on reserve as a new guy? How long on/off? How much are they used?

It depends on fleet and which reserve period you get. Examle: I'm on the -8, been here just under 2 years, sit almost exclusively the 12am to 12pm reserve, and as an FE, I only worked (on average) 1-2 days a week. That was because we were overstaffed on the panel. As an FO, I have been working fairly regularly when I've sat reserve. As a commuter, that is fine with me.

We are short staffed in all fleets, so a quick look at the reserve usage page in our crew sked system shows that most reserves are working. Again, this is just a swag. Other folks on other fleets can pipe in on actual usage.

Displacement Bid Help

767Pilot/1800 RVR,

I'm currently on the -8 panel (still on probation) and I'm smack in the middle of this displacement. I'm trying to sort through my options, but I'm having a hard time picking my poison. I moved to Louisville for quality of life, but I'm afraid my options won't be too good. Here are my current preferences in order:

-8: No brainer since I'm currently on it and it seems to have the best QOL

MD11: I'm not crazy about the long trips, but this is the fleet where I'd have the most seniority.

A300: Seniority would suck, but this fleet seems to have the most similar schedule to the -8

757Z: Again, not the best seniority, but the trips might not be as long as the MD11.

757: I've heard the domestic guys get abused - gonna stay away.

I'm fairly ignorant to the process, so I don't know if the 747 classic is in play or not.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on the topic. Thanks in advance!

I've never totally understood the mechanics either, so the best advice would be for you to just make sure to always have bids in for everything in whatever order you want them.

That said, I would worry about bidding the MD-11 and somehow ending up in ANC the next time that they displace. If that happens though, you might once again have bumping rights, but do you really want to go to training a third time in a year?

I imagine that you are going to have a tough time findng quality of life like you have in the DC-8 on any fleet. I don't know how long you would be looking at reserve on the a300, figure 2 years on the z. All depends if you like international or not. Put in for the 747 right seat if you want it, you never know.

Hey Delta,

Don't feel bad about not knowing what to do. I've been here a bit longer, and I don't know what will happen to me, as well. I think there are a lot of us that are smack dab in the middle of this bid.

As to what fleets are in play/not in play, all I can say is this: bid what you want to fly. In all seriousness, since most guys don't chase fleets due to our payscale, you never know what fleet you will get. But there is a really good chance that you will get close. Those other things that you mention (i.e. seat seniority) are definite players as well. I think you really just have to decide what type of flying you want to do. We've got it all.

There is one thing that I did want to point out when you listed your fleets: the MD11. Don't forget that supposedly the SDF base will continue to shrink while ANC grows. So, be careful of that.

As with everything, this decision is very personal. What is good for me may not be good for you. The way I approach it is how I said it earlier: what type of flying do I want, how is my seniority, what kind of a/c do I want, etc. But I commute, while you are living in domicile. This could change the way you value certain items. All I can say is good luck to all of us junior folks - there will be lots of movement coming...

Good luck on the decision!

Hey Delta,
There is one thing that I did want to point out when you listed your fleets: the MD11. Don't forget that supposedly the SDF base will continue to shrink while ANC grows. So, be careful of that.

But isn't it growing in SDF for F/Os due to them holding IRO lines now? There's a newhire class next week with SDF MD-11 F/Os.

Latest resources

Back