Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
buster232 said:
BBB
I agree with you about seniority but a delay ain't happening at this point so my primary concern os having the job when I get back. Do you think UPS will wait for me?

I would hope so ... but, who knows? In the early days of the airline they were quite hostile towards the men and women serving their country in the Guard and Reserve. By hostile I mean they would fire them for taking too much military time (such as being activated). Of course, all were later re-hired with full back pay etc... after UPS was reminded (by attorneys) for the umteenth time of the blatant illegality of the firings. The attitude of the company is what was revealing. Recently, they are much less hostile toward those serving and to their credit they do make up the pay difference between your UPS salary and your military pay when activated during the last two wars. Of course they still cut off the medical benefits for your family as soon as they are legally allowed to (again ... an attitude thing).

I would hope UPS would do the "right thing" and bring you onboard as soon as possible following your service to our country, but given their track record on this topic it's not a guarantee. I, for one, thank you for your service and wish you godspeed.

BBB

BBB

Thanks for your support. I believe that everything will work out, just a little later than I had hoped, first I have to help some insurgents become martyrs. Everyone I have met so far at UPS has been more more than supportive and the interview was a great experience. Hope to see you there soon.

buster232 said:
BBB

Thanks for your support. I believe that everything will work out, just a little later than I had hoped, first I have to help some insurgents become martyrs. Everyone I have met so far at UPS has been more more than supportive and the interview was a great experience. Hope to see you there soon.

We appreciate your service to our country. You're right - you'll at least have something to look forward to upon your return - would be nice to be hired into the 757/767 or 727 as an FO...

i had heard it would be fo seat on the 75 or the a300 maybe even the md. not sure about the 72 (a shrinking fleet--but who knows).

Two comments--three actually

First, almost everyone is given "the handshake" or verbal offer. It doesn't mean anything unless they ask you to stay and take your physical or schedule your physical on the spot. If you don't have a physical, you're in the pool. Next the Feb 21 class is scheduled for ALL FE's NOT FO's. This is because the agreement via the last Bid award was that all current seniority list holders would be trained before newhires in the right seat.--and that hasn't happened yet. Lastly, as far as Buster's question: Buster, did you get a physical and class date? If not, you're not hired and even then, like the other dude said, you're not really hired till you're on the property. My advice is the same: do whatever you've got to do to be in that class if they call. Arguing for a seniority number after the fact will be hard. Good luck, I hope you make it. And good luck in the sand box if you gotta go.

I did the physical the next day but I am still waiting for a letter. And yes I understand that I am not yet hired without a seniority number that is my concern is that this job will evaporate while I am gone due to no more classes etc. Thanks to all

I spoke to one of the Management Captains that had just got done doing an interview and asked him if they were keeping people overnight for the medical at this anymore or if they were sending them home and putting them in the pool. He said that they are nearing the 100 people they initially planned to hire and that no one was being asked to stay the next day for the medical. He said that the company line is that they will hear something within 2-3 weeks regarding their status. He said the reason for this is due to the fact that Atlanta can tell them to stop hiring and then they would have a problem?? I think this is just company speak and they will keep the classes going. They are just being cautious. Most of the guys on the line are hearing hiring numbers anywhere from 250-380 or so for the year with the same number next year. We shall see.

Lots of rumors around here. But most have learned that a rumor is only a rumor until it is either painted brown or in our latest paycheck.

Good luck All

buster232 said:
I did the physical the next day but I am still waiting for a letter. And yes I understand that I am not yet hired without a seniority number that is my concern is that this job will evaporate while I am gone due to no more classes etc. Thanks to all

I can put your concern to rest regarding "no more classes" Buster. Let's simply deal with facts.

385 pilots turn 60 between '05-10.
We receive 11 acft in '05 (7 A-300, 4 MD-11) Average manning is 10 pilots per acft
We receive 6 A-300 and ?MD-11 in '06 (think 4 is yearly conversion max currently)
11 more MD-11 purchased from Swiss Air (next few years delivery dates, believe I read first one or two to be delivered in '05 ... that will increase '05's numbers from above)
10 A-380 for '09-12 delivery

You can see from the above that UPS will have a need for many hundreds of pilots over the next few years. Add in the next long haul acft (down to 747-400 or 777 according to the company), the Menlo acquisition, Shanghai hub in '07 (min 42 weekly flights), double-digit consistent international air growth yr/yr, they're going to need replacement lift for the cancelled 37 A-300's or even more of the 747-400's or 777's if they shift 767 flying domestically to cover the above etc... bottom line is consistent growth and need for pilots for YEARS. There will be MANY more new hire classes at UPS in the future.

Hope this helps.

BBB

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back