• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS and the 380

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do know that we have already completed reinforcing the runways in MEM to handle the A380 and are ready to take delivery of them yesterday. Fred wants them pretty bad and would be shocked if UPS stole the "launch customer" title from FedEx.

Fred loves his name (FDX) in lights. Just look at all the naming rights he has...the Orange Bowl, Washington Redskins stadium, the soon to be basketball arena in Memphis for the Grizzlies and Joe Gibbs' next racecar in Nascar...Geeezzz.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that Boeing would want to get involved with UPS as the lead customer on the 777 Freighter. Granted they are in the business to sell aircraft but I can't see them going out of their way for UPS. Boeing has been down this road before with UPS as the lead on the 767 freighter, just to wind up with wasted promisses from UPS to purchace more. Not only that but they wound up jumping over to the A300 and now possibly the 380.

this is just what UPS needs another fleet type.

How do I get that job? With 727's retrofitted to R&R, 757's with R&R and P&W motors, 767's, A300's, DC8's, MD11's & 747's. Who is the genius in charge of fleet planning?

I can see the 380 sales pitch now.
"sure we will buy it, we don't have one of them yet"

PurpleTail said:
. . . the soon to be basketball arena in Memphis for the Grizzlies . . .
Where ya been?!?!

The FedExForum has already opened and hosted a coupla events - - some kinda music thing, and some kinda wrastlin' thing.

:eek:

"UPS DC8" check this out. You thought I was FOS... This is the latest from the IPA Union Board... With any luck this is UPS's way of putting pressure on Boeing for the 747-400's... However it pans out, I hope this 380 thing is not true...

{A380}
As Airbus considers setting up an assembly line in the U.S.,
one British newspaper reports UPS is close to finalizing a deal
with the European aircraft maker. Britain's Daily Post reports
"sources suggest Airbus is now close to clinching an order worth
approximately $1 billion from UPS for its new superjumbo, the
A380." The article says Airbus will consider setting up an assembly
line in America if it wins a multi-billion dollar contract to
build airborne refueling tankers for the US Air Force.

Of course, this isn't the first time media reports have linked
UPS and the A380. Earlier this year, a French newspaper reported
UPS could opt to replace outstanding orders for A300-600 cargo
planes with the A380. At the time, System Chief Pilot J Barnes
told IPNN the Company was "actively looking at all options for
the next long haul freighter, including the A380. He went on
to say that cost, airport compatibility and maintenance costs
would be considered in any aircraft purchase. However, we can
tell you that the A380 is a Class VI aircraft while Louisville
International Airport is only a Class V and therefore couldn't
handle the A380. FedEx is the first cargo model launch customer
for the A380.

BBDC8

I've heard that rumor here too. I'm not going to put much faith into it though, since by the time we usually hear it it has usually passed through about a dozen or so people. And as for the article, personally I take for what it is, just an article.

Personally, I could care less what we get. For the right pay and schedule, I would fly a Piper Cub. I want to see us purchase whatever airframe will keep us growing and hiring. As long as we keep ADDING airframes, I don't care what they buy.

Man.....

You people are way way off on this one. UPS is rumored to get another airbus type with a 3 and an 8 in it, but its not the 380. Its the 318 with a cargo mod. This along with about 500 UPS EXPRESS pilots can handle the overload and guess what..... no more lear launches ;). Management has decided to fill these UPS EXPRESS pilot slots with Germans, Pakistani's, and basically anyone else that will pay for their training and a bit O jet time. LOL

Sorry guys/gals couldn't resist.....

on a serious note....

I did hear that the A300-600 is not carrying its weight and that UPS is not happy with the product, so this may be a way out of those orders and into something they can actually make better use of. When you guys get on with UPS.... send me a PM and I'll set you up with an apartment in Looooserville.

Good luck.....

Latest resources

Back