• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS 747-400F looking Sharp!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a reason that thousands of 747s have been built over the years, and only a handfull of MD11s.

There is a reason that thousands of 747s have been built over the years, and only a handfull of MD11s.

because not many were a fan of the engine on the tail maint wise, and Boeing buying MD when MD was supposedly working out the kinks of the MD-11 and rumors had it even working on a 4 engine airplane? MD made the best airplanes out there, there is a reason NWA still flies the dc-9s around, and the MD-11s and DC-10s are still bringing cargo to and fro

MD made the best airplanes out there,

"yeah I'm gonna have to get back to you on Saturday for that one..."I am not saying that MD didn't make a great bird but what happened in all those years that Boeing was romping on them before Boeing bought MD? And if you remember, again the DC9 is a great plane, Northwest kept the DC9s and refurbed them to save money, not because they were the best...

there is a reason NWA still flies the dc-9s around
NWA has the oldest fleet for a major airline, they probably could not afford new planes,that probably explains why NWA has held onto the 9's so long, but that's changing since they got rid of DC-10's, and getting Airbuses for cheap to compete with Boeing.

the MD-11s and DC-10s are still bringing cargo to and fro

So are the 747's, moving more payload over greater distances!

To answer your question about the crew rest areas...
I've only jumped on UPS 747's and haven't noticed a crew rest area so I can't really say what one looks like. The one's we have on the MD-11 $uck!!!
They are about the size of a coffin (for an overweight captain) with about the same amount of airflow. I'll take a futon on the floor over a crew rest area (one of ours) any day of the week.

Douglas for props,Boeing for jets.

Douglas for props,Boeing for jets.

Well, sort of. Don't see many 707's or 73-100's out there any more. DC was Douglas Commercial and while the DC-10 carried the name on the old man from STL got his fingers in the pie. The DC side of the house proposed an airliner in the 76 class-(a wide body twin) in the late 70's or early 80's and old man McDonell had two words..."kill it."

The Douglas line effectively ended with the DC-9.

When you think about the fact that the 74 was originally designed in the days of sliderules and honest to goodness Draftsmen drawing at big tables on real paper with penciles and pens it's amazing.

When you compare that to all the computer time that Airbus has spent getting the A-380 not quite right you just have to laugh at them!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back