• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UPS 747-400F looking Sharp!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To answer your question about the crew rest areas...
I've only jumped on UPS 747's and haven't noticed a crew rest area so I can't really say what one looks like. The one's we have on the MD-11 $uck!!!
They are about the size of a coffin (for an overweight captain) with about the same amount of airflow. I'll take a futon on the floor over a crew rest area (one of ours) any day of the week.

Thanks for the update on rest facilities, I'm sure the new 747's that UPS will take delivery of, will have the standard rest areas as all other 747-400F's in service.

Boeing recently took a 30-some year old DC-10 back that had far over 150.000hrs on it, flown for the last decade in africa hauling freight and took it apart to see how the aging process was going. They did not believe their eyes, apparently the aircraft was in a prestine condition thanks to the corrosion proofing Douglas put on their products. Boeing does not support DC10's anymore, but there are no life time limits on it, unlike the 747.

I know a guy that just came off the MD-11 at UPS. He is back on the 747 these days and liking it a lot more. He did a lot of around the world routes and did not really like the driftdown performance on the MD-11 while in the Himalayas. Apparently it is well below 29,000', so they have escape routes to keep from hitting the big piles of rocks over there. Give me 4 engines anytime.

The driftdown escape routes on L888 are not for engine failures. but for loss of cockpit press ability. High terrain limits one ability to decend below 25k.

because not many were a fan of the engine on the tail maint wise...

The "original" 747-300 was supposed to be a tri-jet
B747-300 Trijet

During the 1970s, Boeing studied the development of a shorter body, three-engined 747 to compete with the Lockheed L-1011 and the McDonnell Douglas DC-10, which were both smaller than the existing 747-100/-200 and had lower trip costs than the 747SP. The 747-300 Trijet would have been bigger than either of the competing trijets, with more payload, range and passenger capacity. The center engine would have been located in the tail with an s-duct intake similar to the L-1011’s. Wind tunnel testing showed that the upper deck interfered with the airflow into the center engine, and the design was not pursued. The 747-300 designation was later used for an improved 747-200 with a stretched upper deck.

Latest resources

Back