Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Does anyone know what landing lights are installed in our wing leading edges for Carbon Cub FX-3 in the past year? I see CubCrafters is now offering a landing light upgrade option for better lights. I'm all for the BEST lighting I can put on my plane. I have not accessed or check which light is installed in my plane but will soon.

I am so impressed with the taxi light I recently installed that I'm thinking of putting two of these (landing light version) on my plane to replace the factory installed lights.

Attachments

• WAT-Full-Product-Catalog.pdf
    24.9 MB · Views: 6
Does anyone know what landing lights are installed in our wing leading edges for Carbon Cub FX-3 in the past year? I see CubCrafters is now offering a landing light upgrade option for better lights. I'm all for the BEST lighting I can put on my plane. I have not accessed or check which light is installed in my plane but will soon.

I am so impressed with the taxi light I recently installed that I'm thinking of putting two of these (landing light version) on my plane to replace the factory installed lights.

I have a note referring to Aveo LED lights and assume that is the standard CC light. I upgraded to WAT Orion as it was only a $750 upgrade.

I have a note referring to Aveo LED lights and assume that is the standard CC light. I upgraded to WAT Orion as it was only a $750 upgrade.
That may be the position lights. When you go out to final build visit see if you can find out what the "standard" landing light is vs. the upgraded light. Get specific models if you can, I'm curious which one they are offering for the upgrade.

So there is a small problem. The G3's are 3.8A each which combined exceeds the 5A circuit breaker CubCrafters installed. The installed lights from CubCrafters are WAT Parmetheus PLUS "P36P1L" which are 1.36A per lamp.

Right up until my breaker popped I can say these G3's are amazing. I can look at the prior lights without squinting, not the case for the new lights. Original lights reinstalled.

Now I have to see if I can simply swap the 5A breaker for a 10A breaker, if the wiring is sufficient, otherwise these lights will have to be returned.

FYI - this is not just about landing at night. These significantly brighter lights are far better for anti-collision as well. We're all running in wig-wag for example, it's just going to be another level of safety with brighter lights.

Last edited:
Hard to really compare on the ole "light on hangar door test" but here is a pic I took. It may never happen if I can't sort out the electrical aspect. Right side is G3, left side is Parmetheus Plus.

lights.JPG

CubCrafters tells me no go, the wiring to the lights would have to be upsized. For those that opt for the improved lights in new builds will get the associated electrical upsize as well.

Time to return them :(

I'm waiting to hear back from CubCrafters / Avionics. The initial response was a NO, however, when I look at the charts in AC 43.13-1B Chapter 11 which outlines the wire gauge vs. length and amps, etc. it shows the installed 20 AWG wires in the wings should be fine for a light up to 4A. The only place, it appears, that a change is needed is from the panel switch to the breaker and breaker to bus for a 10A breaker and wire (16 or 18 awg should suffice). I'm new to these types of things in aviation and stumbled upon AC 43.13 which is interesting to find the specs for maintenance standards, etc. Good things to learn and be aware of, of course you should use an A&P that is trained on this but it's good to learn before knocking on your A&P / Avionics shop's door for work.

It is hard to find the lumens data for WAT lights, not sure why they don't clearly disclose it. But I found a chart in the marketing data. What is interesting in tracking down the "candela" they call it is how it drops over time. So for those of us that fly with landing lights on the entire flight (wig-wag or on) notice the drop in candela. Interesting!

lightinfo.jpg

Attachments

• chart.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
CubCrafters is installing Parmetheus Plus in FX-3's but now offer an upgrade. From what I can find the Plus is a 2014 era light. Wow! Hello 2024!!! How about simply put the best light in now as a standard? That's how you simply do things right. This was pointed out by Bruce Graham and suggested to CubCrafters nearly 4 years ago:

As I have the awesome G3 taxi light on my cub, it will be a nice addition to the landing lights for night landings. I typically did not use the taxi light during landing but will now.

Okay, back to this again. I went to the plane and measure landing light to door and it’s 6.5 ft. That is no issue for 4 amps per the chart. (of course add a few more feet from window to panel position for wire termination)

I then dropped the cap strip outside the left window and inspected the breaker. I then checked the chart to see what gauge wire I would need for 10A. It appears for 5 ft, a conservative number from breaker to panel the existing 20 awg is fine at 10A (actually max will be 7.6A).

It appears all that needs to happen for this project is swapping the 5A breaker for a 10A breaker. Feel free to back up my investigation and analysis for anyone interested.

Latest resources

Back